Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a Springfield 1911. When I disassembled the gun, I noticed that the barrel link pin will fall out on its own if I turn the barrel on its side. Is this normal? Should the pin be this loose, or does this require some attention? Thanks.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Loose Link Pin

It is not a problem if it is only due to a sightly undersize pin/oversize hole. The pin cannot fall out in use since it operates within the milled frame area. Match guns generally have a tight fit, and sometimes the link pin is staked on either side, but it is not required for a basic .45. Having said that, if I had a tighter fitting pin, I'd use it. I'd also check to see if the link pin holes were not cracked as a reason for the looseness.

·
Registered
7,583 Posts
Note what Bob_K said - tighter fitting link/pin is more accurate. Get it fixed (easy fix - tighter fitting pin, no big deal).

Enjoy.

·
Registered
332 Posts
When you contact Springfield be prepared to be called stupid and that it's your fault it happened.

·
Premium Member
9,526 Posts
Barrel Links

Catahoula: I'm not so sure I would even worry about it unless it effects your accuracy. A number of years ago I ordered some Bar-Sto barrels, in different calibers, and every single one of them did the same thing with the link pin. It never affected a thing with either the operation or accuracy of the piece. I called Bar-Sto and they said that if I wanted to send it back they would stake it in place but that a number of their customers perferred to use their barrels as is (was) and that was the way they sold them, or I could stake it in place or leave it as it is. I left it as was and it never affected anything.

Bob_K already mentioned that it operates within a confined, milled space, which means it isn't going to go anywhere or screw anything up.

I wouldn't worry about it. Hope this helps. Mikey.

·
Registered
7,583 Posts
Mikey -
It's like most of the other tuneup items, by itself the difference might not be noticeable, but in combination with six other small improvements the system becomes MUCH more accurate.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the info. I'm replacing the pin ( slightly larger match pin from Brownells) , but sounds like it isn't an issue to shoot the gun as is. Thanks again.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The issue isn't the shooting, it's having the link and pin fall out every time you field-strip the gun, unless you're careful. If you were to do this at the range and lose a part, you'd be through for the day. I'd stake it or get the bigger pin.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.