Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have loaded H4227 in two Handi barrels, 357 and 44 Mag. Both has shown light pitting after being left dirty for 2 months.

I know....."clean your rifle" will be the response from some people. I see more inconsistency in POI from clean barrel to fouled barrel than from heating.

This wasn't a problem with factory ammo in the 223 or 308 barrels. It has never been a problem with H4895, Varget, or H4831.

Any theories? The pits are where unburned powder or soot has stuck to the barrel or throat. (I guess I could just run a dry patch through?)

·
Registered
69 Posts
H4227 shouldn't pit your barrel at all. If you're sure that there wasn't any problem before using it, then I would get in touch with Hodgdon. Have the lot number of the powder handy.

Steve :)

·
Banned
949 Posts
I have used a lot of H4227 and it has never pitted a barrel.
My handle does not have the word bayou in it either. I live in a area of moderate humidity and I also run a few patches of Hoppe's through everything after shooting.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I suspicion the "pitting" is unburned powder residue. If your storing your barrels dirty and in a non climate controlled environment, The partially burned powder, and unburned powder residue is probably drawing moisture which upon drying and then re hydrating over a period may cause a stubborn "stain" in the bore.
I would at least pull a dry patch or bore snake through them after a shooting session, or get some desiccant packs to store with them.
I'll bet a Dollar to a donut a little JB's will remove those "pits" in short order!
Another thing I have noticed is, if you happen to be using a hotter primer in your reloads than the manuals call for, it can make various smokeless powders leave a more stubborn fowling. Check your primers! You can get in real trouble pressure wise real quick using the wrong primer!
JMH2¢
DG

·
Registered
6,258 Posts
Try some Flitz and keep them clean and oiled. Dale

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
when you are done shooting run a well-soaked patch with penetrating oil on it through the bore. it will break down some of the powder, but will not thoroughly clean the bore. i do that for a few shooting sessions with my Handi' to leave it fouled for the same reason you do. BUT, i do anoint the bore with either wal-mart generic penetrant or remington's aerosol with teflon in it.

you can't leave a bore unprotected like you are doing for any length of time and count on it handling the moisture in the air. i even anoint my stainless steel rifles for that reason.

take care,

ss'

·
Registered
132 Posts
Just as an additional caviate, If you leave oil in the bore, be sure to run a couple of dry patches through it before shooting it!
Excess oil or any lubricant in the bore or chamber can cause a barrel or chamber to bulge!

·
Registered
6,258 Posts
dumgunny said:
Just as an additional caviate, If you leave oil in the bore, be sure to run a couple of dry patches through it before shooting it!
Excess oil or any lubricant in the bore or chamber can cause a barrel or chamber to bulge!
??? Dale

·
Premium Member
4,629 Posts
Dale- The key word is "excessive". Even though oil is a lubricant, too much (way too much) can cause pressure build up. A little snow in the muzzle can cause pressure build ups too, even though it is not heavy or packed tightly. My brother for some unknown reason stuck a 12 gauge into a snow bank then pointed it up and pulled the trigger. The snow was not packed in very tight, it was fluffy, about 3" of it, I am guessing. There was a noticeable bulge right behind where the snow plug started. He told Dad that he fell and did not notice the snow in the bore, I know better. I use Kroil in my bores. After a through cleaning, I run 1 wet patch followed by 1 dry one. It still leaves a little oil in the bore, but not so much that it runs back into the action or that would cause pressure build ups. It is not even enough to cause a POI change, just a very light coat. I have been using Kroil in my bores for some time and either Rem Oil or Break Free on the outside, if there is a better alternative, I would like to know. I really have not had a problem, but always looking for some thing better.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts