Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
pondering over my 45-70 questions about recoil, weighting the barrel and reaming to 45-90 i began to wonder about porting.
i had my carry hundgun, a .357 ported and really like it. but mag-na porting is costly.
i have a few thoughts on this for the handi's, like is it an option, has anyone here had thier handi ported ?
traveling the net, i came across this company. http://www.gunporting.com/
i looked over thier site and wonder what some of you more experienced riflemen thiink, ever heard of them ?

its just another avenue for us handi owners to make better use of our guns. i thought it may be a better way to go then adding wieght to the stocks

·
Registered
132 Posts
.....as far as I know, Mag na port will cut slots in your RG 22 revolver if your willing to pay the freight.
You have several options for porting, including an add on muzzle brake, a boss system, etc. that can all be done by a competent gunsmith.
The trade off with a ported barrel is as is always was.....the same as your pistol, you get some perceived relief from recoil, some degree of muzzle flip control (moot in a single shot rifle) BUT... you also get markedly increased report directed at the shooter as well as your range companions.

JMH2¢
BT

·
Registered
6,878 Posts
Scibaer said:
pondering over my 45-70 questions about recoil, weighting the barrel and reaming to 45-90 i began to wonder about porting.
i had my carry hundgun, a .357 ported and really like it. but mag-na porting is costly.
i have a few thoughts on this for the handi's, like is it an option, has anyone here had thier handi ported ?
traveling the net, i came across this company. http://www.gunporting.com/
i looked over thier site and wonder what some of you more experienced riflemen thiink, ever heard of them ?

its just another avenue for us handi owners to make better use of our guns. i thought it may be a better way to go then adding wieght to the stocks
I've owned 3 30-06 Ultra Comps...and 2 270 Ultra Comps

Porting works...but at a price...and that's the noise...If that's what you want...then go for it...personally...I would add a mercury recoil reducer a Limb Saver recoil pad...and a soft cheek piece...but...I'm not effected as much as others by heavy recoiling rifles either..

Mac

·
Premium Member
6,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the place in OK adverts that they do a porting for $50. sounds a little to cheap. so i wonder if they are any good or not.
i dont know if the sound will bother me or not, honestly.
recoil has yet to bother me, my whelen is cream puff in all honestly and 12 guage shotguns dont bother me at all, i guess its my size and weight.
im just looking into several avenues for my 45-70 build up.
i have a habit of buying then selling any given rifle when i get bored wiht it, but im setting my self up to be buried with the 45-70, and hunting in heaven

·
Super Moderator
51,243 Posts
Any way you look at it, you need to wear hearing protection when shooting, whether it's while hunting or at the range, even one shot with a 22Lr destroys a little bit of your hearing. So go for the brake/porting job and just be sure to wear hearing protection, same for anyone near you. ;)

Tim

http://www.keepandbeararms.com/information/XcIBViewItem.asp?id=2052

·
Premium Member
6,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
tim, you are absolutely right i always wear hearing protection. whether its on my bike, at the range or when the wife is nagging me about some such thing or another.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Scibaer said:
the place in OK adverts that they do a porting for $50. sounds a little to cheap. so i wonder if they are any good or not.
Depending on what they do, it is after all mostly just a matter of drilling several holes in the muzzle end of the barrel, Brownells sells several configurations of porting jigs, just find the TDC, clamp em in place and drill away. I had my local guy do a contender barrel for me and all it cost me was the price of the jig (around $50). It would suprise me if someone would bother to put out a shingle as a 'smith if he can't drill straight holes......
That being said, I live about 10 miles from Warner Ok and have had a fair amount of work done at that shop (albeit, no porting) and I can tell you I found it to be first rate!
JMH2¢
DG

·
Premium Member
4,282 Posts
My 45/70 had a 3" brake added to it it helps a lot on the very heavy loads but it sure is a BOOOOMMER!!!! Kurt

·
Premium Member
6,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well i just may contact them and see if they can and are willing to mill some holes into the bc barrel.
its alot cheaper then mag-na porting. but i dont think its something i want to do my self , although i did do so on my saiga

i think im going to add the porting to my list of do's for my buildup.

honestly, i want something a little unique, and if i get a louder report and the 'what the heck is that rifle?' from others at the range, then i view that as a plus..showing off a ported bc with monte carlo stocks that has been reamed to an 90 and i say its a NEF ? priceless brothers !

·
Premium Member
4,632 Posts
When you bore holes in the barrel, they are there and can not be changed. If you get a brake that is threaded on you can take it off if you want or put it back on so you can shoot it both ways. If you go that route, get a cap made to protect the threads if the brake is off. For most folks recoil is not felt when in a hunting situation. You could sight in and practice with muzzle brake in place and then take it off for your hunting. Not quite as much noise in the woods that way. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,913 Posts
Glenn I had a 45/70 marlin GG that was ported. It hurt my ears a whole lot more than my 7mag thats ported. while hunting youre not always gonna have earplugs. Id get that barrel & do some shooting, with different loads & see how the recoil is. Are you considering cutting down the barrel at all. If so. I would port it my self &see how it goes. If its ugly or you dont like it chop it off & start over

·
Premium Member
6,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well i do plan to shoot the rifle in 45-70 bc barrel stock before i do any mods. that will tell me if i need(want) to make any perminate changes. i have seen online a few ported rifle barrels and i like that look more then the brakes. i always wear hearing protction when hunting or shooting. i just slip the plugs in right before the shot when deer hunting ( has not been a problem so far ).. i dont plan on cutting down the bc barrel, unless it jus too troublesome, but even then maybe only to 27 inches..if need be.
but its all going to be on how it works out once i get the reciver and barrel back from NEF and stocked up and shot a few times..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts