Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one know of a barrel reborer who can do a TCR 87 barrel 22-250 to a 7x 57 besides Jes or Oregon gun works or Dannys in Arizona and not have to wait 6 months to get the job done and also don't cost the price of a new rifle Jes does nothing smaller than 338 else the barrel would have been done already.

Deaconllb

·
Registered
706 Posts
Did the folks you spoke with say they could rebore with the barrel in the monobloc, or would they have to pull the barrel from the monoblock, rebore, then re-install the barrel in the monobloc?

I would think that reboring and rechambering with the barrel in the monobloc would keep chamber dimensions constant, but vaguely recall that the monobloc would not fit boring machine headstock.

Perhaps the .22-250 barrel could be removed and the monobloc threaded for a 7 x 57 barrel if the 'smith did not want to press fit a 7 x 57 barrel into the monobloc.

·
Premium Member
5,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All I ask was could they do a TCR barrel and they said yes I really see no reason for removing the barrel from mono block as they could install the barrel from the muzzle end instead of the mono block end. Jes is the only shop that does barrels at a reasonable price, two hundred fifty but nothing smaller than 338 the rest won't six to seven hundred dollars and they are six month out don't care to wait that long at my age. I talked to the guys at MGM when they were in Tulsa at the gun show no way would they do one talked to SSK same thing no way. They both have did TCR barrels in the past, I have two SSK barrels one a 38-55 the other a 45x70 so I know they have done them.
So they know what is involved. So my only option is to just keep hunting till I find one or forget the hole thing. I have a 7mm08 for the TCR and two 7 mags that I can reduce load down to 7x57 but still not what I won't. One of these days I will find one. As many gun traders that is on Graybeard you would think someone would find one for me we are all over the country.

Dinny would be the one to know if they can do barrel with block on as he has had some Hand R barrels done not quite the same but close.

Deaconllb

·
Premium Member
5,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I have talked to him at least 6 months out seems to me it was also pay in advance.

Deaconllb

·
Registered
706 Posts
I too would like a 7 x 57 or a 6.5 x55 TCR barrel, but six hundred would be too much for my budget. I picked up a .22 Hornet barrel, now a K Hornet, about a year ago and passed on a 22-250 barrel despite the really good price. 20-20 hindsight was that I could not have procured a donor monobloc for less.

Replacing a TCR barrel seems like it would be akin to barrel stubbing and I believe there are some stubbers here on GBO, though I don't know if they are in the business or not. There might be some pressure/load limits on a stubbed barrel due to smaller barrel tenon diameter. I suspect most stub jobs are on H&R shotgun barrels converting them to pistol or rifle cartridge. But those are one piece barrels, not monobloc and barrel.

Is your donor barrel pinned or welded in the monobloc? That might have something to do with reluctance to work on these.

Have you tried randyscustomrifles.com/rifle-services or Ron Smith (RKS Barrels - Wimborne, Alberta) ?

I wonder if E. Arthur Brown would know someone. They offer a variety of Encore barrels.

IIRC IowaDon had some TCR barrel/monobloc switches, but don't recall who did the work.

IIRC TCR barrel swaps entail drilling out welds or pins, heating the monobloc while using a hydraulic press to push the barrel out(this might require some custom press plates for the monobloc), turning a tenon on the new short chambered 7 x 57 barrel, cutting an extractor slot, freezing the barrel and heating the monobloc to press them together, and adjusting chamber headspace with reamer. Not typical barrel installation work.

I wonder if there are double barrel shotgun 'smiths who might have the skills and equipment to put a new barrel in a monobloc.

·
Premium Member
5,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Iowa Don sent me some paper work may be 8 years ago about a fellow that was doing a switch barrel system of his own design for the TCR 83/87 rifles. what he did was buy a 12 gage barrel from TC as they were closing them out at give away prices. He had 6 barrels set up this way in different calibers He would then chuck the barrel up in a lathe and bore the barrel out of the mono block the thorough hole was 0.812.he was buying take off barrels from gun smiths and turning them down so they would just slide in the mono block and he had a shoulder on the barrel that would bump up to the mono block. on the under side on the mono block there is a angle on both sides of the ears that fit the block to the frame, he bored 4 holes on each side of the mono block and tapped for set screws he also drilled the barrel just a little so the set screws went into the barrel just a little to hold the barrel in place he had also machined a slot in the barrel for the extractor to fit in. He had 6 barrels set up this way and the mono block had a scope mounted on it. all he had to do to change barrels was to loosen the 8 set screws slide the barrel out and slide the other barrel in tighten the set screws and he was ready to shoot. He had the settings for each barrel written down so all he had to do was move several clicks one way or the other and he was ready to shoot all sighted in.
What I have thought about doing as mine would not be for switching barrels was to cut the 12 gage barrel off about 3/4 inch past the mounted forarm polish the 12 gage chamber and then turn the donor barrel to fit the chamber almost to a pressed fit then turn the barrel to just fit the shotgun barrel out to where it was cut off and press it in place weld it to the shotgun barrel and then put in lathe and turn the weld smooth would be like a step barrel. It would require some fitting to get the barrel in just flush also machine a slot for the extractor and add a longer lip to the extractor. I am pretty sure that would work. I was thinking of calling MGM and see what a 7mm barrel blank chambered for the 7x57 If they could do it I would go for the 7x57 R with the extractor slot machined in would cost. would be a barrel like for an encore but no mounting block or extractor and just milled finished no bluing I could have everything powdered coated
once all the machine work was done. We have a powder coating set up in my sons motor cycle shop so that would be free so give me your input

Deaconllb

·
Registered
706 Posts
I wonder if one could make, in effect, a 7 x 57 barrel that would fit in a 12 or 10 (yes, there are TCR 10ga barrels) gauge shotgun barrel as a liner. Turn a 12 gauge diameter rim on the chamber end of the rifle barrel and thread the muzzle which would extend a bit out the muzzle of the shotgun barrel. Insert the "liner" through the 12 ga breech and secure it with a conical nut at the muzzle similar to Dan Wesson pistol shrouds and barrels. The conical nut would center the rifle barrel and provide tension.

Couple of issues: If the shotgun barrel was left intact this would be a pretty heavy rig. How much meat is required for a safe 7 x 57 barrel chamber wall/outer diameter? I just measured a 12 ga hull base diameter at .800". 7 x 57 case head is .473".

Now, if the shotgun barrel was bored out of the monobloc, could the monobloc be threaded to accept a Savage type barrel tenon with the barrel secured/headspace set with a barrel nut bearing on the outer end of the monobloc?

·
Premium Member
5,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I ran a wont to buy a 7x57 mouser barrel for the TCR 83/87 rifle on 24 hour campfire and in less than 5 minutes Fellow contacted me said he had one for sale and get back to him and we could set up the sale. I checked his feed back and when he joined he had no feed back and had signed up 5 minutes after I posted my ad so I am pretty sure he was a scammer as I have checked off and on for over a year now and he has never been back on the sight. There are so many scammers on the net now it is unreal.

Deaconllb

·
Registered
706 Posts
I posted a "have you ever seen a TCR 6.5 x 55 or 7 x 57 barrel?" note in the 24hr campfire single shot rifle forum. One responder posted a couple of links to recent sales of TCR rifles with 7 x 57 barrels. Both sold, no price on one and the other was, IIRC, 3 rifles, one a 7 x 57, for about $1,500. Not a bad price per rifle these days, but a lot to drop when the other two are superfluous.

Seems like the 7 x 57 was a custom shop barrel.

If you have to buy a whole rifle to get a barrel you want, maybe the 6-700 dollar reboring bite is the going rate. Ouch!

I suspect long wait time is a combination of work backlog as well as piling up several jobs reboring to the same caliber to minimize tooling changes.

FWIW, Classic Barrel and Gun Works, Prescott, AZ is advertised "for sale"( a recent addition to their ad) in the January 2020 Rifle magazine.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
https://www.shootersforum.com/single-shot-rifles/63310-tcr-83-a.html

TCR 83 chamberings:

.22-250 Remington
.243 Winchester
7mm Remington Magnum
.30-06 Springfield

TCR 87 Chambrings:

.22 Hornet
.22 Hornet (Heavy Barrel)
.222 Remington (Medium Barrel)
.222 Remington (Heavy Barrel)
.223 (Medium Barrel)
.223 (Heavy Barrel)
.22-250 (Medium Barrel)
.22-250 (Heavy Barrel)
.243 (Medium Barrel)
.243 (Heavy Barrel)
7mm-08 (Medium Barrel)
7mm-08 (Heavy Barrel)
.308 (Medium Barrel)
.308 (Heavy Barrel)
.30-06 (Medium Barrel)
.30-06 (Heavy Barrel)
.32-40 (Medium Barrel)
.32-40 (Heavy Barrel)
.375H&H (Medium Barrel)
.375H&H (Heavy Barrel)
.416 Remington (Medium Barrel)
.416 Remington (Heavy Barrel)
12 Gauge 3" Shot

·
Premium Member
5,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When the Custom shop Fox Ridge was open you could get any Cal you wonted as long as they had the barrel blank and the custom shop barrels were all over the place and I have seen doz. of od ball cal for sale not rebores that are not listed on the TCR list of Cal.
Ed. of Eds. contenders had a 28 Gage vent rib barrel as well as a 6.5x57 I have seen 280 Remington as well as 30 carbine 35 Remington and a 44 Mag. I have a 257 Roberts as well as a 25-06 I have also seen a couple of 7x57 for sale and a 7x64 also have a 300 Win Mag that was a standard run offering they also offered a 10 gage in standard run. One thing I have noticed is that most of the TCR stuff you see for sale is from Oklahoma east I have seen almost none for sale West of Oklahoma

Deaconllb

1 - 13 of 13 Posts