Graybeard Outdoors banner

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
All set you posted the Napolean plans on here. With a 13 inch barrel l have coming l multiplied everything by 1.1, as the barrel on plan is 11.85 inches

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
DD,
The capsquare bolts in that drawing are screwed in. That will never work for very long with a "firing model". They must go vertically through the cheeks and the front one also through the axle.
Zulu
Thank you sir! on my .56 cal carriage I through drilled cheek pieces through the axle.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Barrel is done. First step is to spray paint it bronze, to look like the original Napoleans.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Lookin nice!

·
7,135 Posts
How did you attach the trunnions?

·
Super Moderator
16,733 Posts
Your transition work is Notable

Michael

Hallmark of a Napoleon barrel, no sharp lines all smooth and flowing transitions. It would be simple to make sharp lines on a Napoleon. But I have to wonder if Napoleon made the lines round and flowing for reason. Could he have made the exterior rounded lines thinking of them as exterior stress risers to give the barrel added strength?

Without those smooth transitions lines its just not a Napoleon.

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
Hallmark of a Napoleon barrel, no sharp lines all smooth and flowing transitions. It would be simple to make sharp lines on a Napoleon. But I have to wonder if Napoleon made the lines round and flowing for reason. Could he have made the exterior rounded lines thinking of them as exterior stress risers to give the barrel added strength?

Without those smooth transitions lines its just not a Napoleon.

Douglas,
Your Brooks Napoleon serial #1 is a perfect example of the "smooth and flowing transitions" you are talking about.
No sharp edges.
Zulu

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Most guns and plans have the rounded shoulder at the breech as seen above, but Napoleons will be sometimes be seen with the sharper shoulder, as shown in the lower portion of this illustration. Depended on the foundry I suppose.

I need to dig into this more . . .

PS: My Napoleon has the sharp shoulder.

·
7,135 Posts
But I have to wonder if Napoleon made the lines round and flowing for reason.

Undoubtedly, but why we are unlikely to know. It is definitely easier to get generous fillets to form properly in a casting. And these were castings.

Depended on the foundry I suppose.

Or the draftsman.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Scale plans for a 13 inch barrel call for 0.5 inch wide cheeks. As the trunions on the barrel are 1 inch thick by 1 inch wide; lm thinking to go 3/4 inch wide cheeks just for the added strength...ideas???

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
Scale plans for a 13 inch barrel call for 0.5 inch wide cheeks. As the trunions on the barrel are 1 inch thick by 1 inch wide; lm thinking to go 3/4 inch wide cheeks just for the added strength...ideas???
If you are following the drawings, those cheeks will need five holes drilled vertically through them. Four are straight holes and one is at a pretty good slant.
What size bolts are you going to use in those holes?
A .5" cheek doesn't give you much room to drill vertically.
Zulu

·
Super Moderator
16,733 Posts
Which plans are you using? The Green plans are adaptable. The AOP plans are original dimensions, and should scale. Don't for get there is spacer (rondelle?) between the cheeks and trainer. The trunnion should not protrude beyond the outside of the cheek.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
If you are following the drawings, those cheeks will need five holes drilled vertically through them. Four are straight holes and one is at a pretty good slant.
What size bolts are you going to use in those holes?
A .5" cheek doesn't give you much room to drill vertically.
Zulu

Thank you for the advice and pics! I plan on using 1/4-20 bolts for all cheek piece holes. The benchtop drill press rotates up to 45 degrees.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts