Graybeard Outdoors banner
81 - 91 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Steve how did you scale up the carriage? Did you scale basses on barrel length or barrel diameter? You scale look slightly off?
Did everything on barrel length. At first l wondered if carriage width should be off of thickness. Anyway, wheels l have are flat, so lm making hubs based on wheel size

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
I will measure barrel thickness for the width. If it's not close to dimensions it's only 10 mins to make a new axle tree now that l have access to a table saw.

·
Super Moderator
16,843 Posts
The barrel you have is not the same barrel that is in the drawing. you barrel is shorter. That is why your barrel look over size for the carriage.

In order to scale you use dimensions that proportionally equivalent between your barrel and barrel in the drawing. The only dimension for that is the diameter.

You need to scale from the diameter of the drawing to the diameter of you barrel.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Thanks. For the width l will go off diameter. The plans also use 1/2 inch thick cheeks. I used 1 inch thick as the barrel has 1 x 1 trunions.

·
Super Moderator
16,843 Posts
I'm not sure you are quite under standing what I am saying. You need to scale all the dimensions in the drawing equally.

To determine the scale, divided the diameter of your barrel by the diameter of the barrel in the drawing. That number becomes you scale factor.

Multiply all dimensions in the drawing by this scale. That will give you the dimension you need to for the part to be the same scale as your barrel.

The carriage you have built so far is out proportion because you have not scaled correctly.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
I'm not sure you are quite under standing what I am saying. You need to scale all the dimensions in the drawing equally.

To determine the scale, divided the diameter of your barrel by the diameter of the barrel in the drawing. That number becomes you scale factor.

Multiply all dimensions in the drawing by this scale. That will give you the dimension you need to for the part to be the same scale as your barrel.

The carriage you have built so far is out proportion because you have not scaled correctly.
Got ya. I went off length and not diameter. Will give me a winter project.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·

Barrel l have is not to scale. For a 13 inch barrel diameter should be 2 inches. Mine is 2.5 inches thick, so going off diameter would make carriage too big.

81 - 91 of 91 Posts