Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9,714 Posts
Major league teams can afford to pay millions per year to multiple players, but can't afford to pay minimum wage to some minor league players???

Baseball is afflicted with the same thing other sports are - greed. Doesn't matter which sport you name, the quality of the game itself just isn't there anymore.

·
Premium Member
24,776 Posts
I don't understand baseball. I can understand why it was popular decades ago when people were more starved for entertainment, but today baseball is about as exciting as listening to a late night filibuster.

·
Registered
11,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is one of the few sports where psychology and strategy works far better than brute force or speed.
Back when sports cable channels hit the air, Cricket was one of them on occasion and it is fascinating and far better than basket ball or even football where more often than not the first 55 minutes are meaningless and the only drama is in the last five or even two.

Hockey is like soccer, a boring game with a bunch of dudes skating or running back and forth, back and forth, back and forth , back and forth....
Now I will admit I like home runs but the constant bomba games this year kind of over did it.

·
Registered
9,714 Posts
GOOD baseball is very interesting. It may seem boring to the casual observer, but if you've played the game much or studied it seriously there's constant "action". Just picking the batting lineup is an art in itself. The manager not only has to know the physical capabilities of the hitters, but also their psychological strengths and weaknesses.

Every pitch is a mental contest between batter and pitcher. Defensive positioning is subtly different for each batter, and different for each pitcher's style.

It's a game much better seen in person than on TV as you really need to view the whole field to see all the little things going on.

Oh, and my pet peeve when watching a major league game - a major league player who can't lay down a decent bunt when it's called for!

·
Premium Member
1,883 Posts
I remember several years ago when Columbus Georgia had the AAA team for Houston. Politics and things changed and the last team was an A team for Tampa Bay, and that was some years back when my parents were alive.
Then there was the Columbus Cottonmouths hockey team that was doing well for years ... The owners dissolved it and about two or three years later, this year Columbus has another hockey team.the Columbus River dragons. I haven't felt well enough to go to a game, but one day I will. The rink is maybe three miles from my house.

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
If pitchers didn’t grow a beard between pitches I’d enjoy watching. The game naturally drags out and commercial breaks make it worse. I went to an early season game with my son in law. That was fun in person but still slow. College is crazy slow in comparison. I’d like to see some experimentation with a pitch clock.

·
Premium Member
24,776 Posts
It is one of the few sports where psychology and strategy works far better than brute force or speed.
Back when sports cable channels hit the air, Cricket was one of them on occasion and it is fascinating and far better than basket ball or even football where more often than not the first 55 minutes are meaningless and the only drama is in the last five or even two.

Hockey is like soccer, a boring game with a bunch of dudes skating or running back and forth, back and forth, back and forth , back and forth....
Now I will admit I like home runs but the constant bomba games this year kind of over did it.
That first sentence. That's why some people consider chess a sport. It's not a sport.

·
23,845 Posts
I like baseball.

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
If baseball, nascar, pro basketball, hockey, and soccer, especially soccer, were to disappear off the face of the earth this instant I wouldn't miss a one of them. Oh, I forgot tennis.

·
Registered
150 Posts
It's called different strokes for different folks...
Some like team sports, some don't...
I enjoy watching baseball and football...pleasant diversions that my family and I enjoy.
Sort of like shooting sports...some shoot only for fun, some need to have a competition of some sort.
I used to shoot competitively...no longer do. My son and I shoot together for fun and aside from some good natured ribbing, we do not compete against each other.
He intends to get involved in some competitive shooting next year...I am not sure I want to get back into that facet of the sport, but will support him and attend matches with him.

·
23,845 Posts
Don't watch football, basketball, tennis, soccer, hockey, or shooting sports.

I enjoy the strategy, and psychology, of baseball, and while a "team sport" it does bracket individual abilities and effort.

I still shoot "some", but my prior career required shooting thousands of rounds per year, training street officers, and tactical team members on winning fights wasn't sport.

I hunt very little other than nuisance critters, but am jumping back into cat, and crappie fishing with both feet.

As for chess being a sport? If it is, then so is takin a nap.

·
Registered
44,135 Posts
I shrugged off any servitude to professional sports teams, many years ago. If I do get a yen to watch any sports, I can get more College or high school games on
TV than I would have any desire for.

Not near so much drama involved either.

·
Registered
525 Posts
If baseball, nascar, pro basketball, hockey, and soccer, especially soccer, were to disappear off the face of the earth this instant I wouldn't miss a one of them. Oh, I forgot tennis.
You can add the NFL to that list. Personally, I enjoy a good amateur softball or baseball game over a pro game any day. And school/kids football game is much more enjoyable, as entertainment, as any pro game. Commercialization of the game kills it in the end, like now that the college players can get "paid" it is just going to get worse...it's already bad enough with these colleges that market their programs.

·
Registered
11,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This summer I tuned in the car radio and came up with a high school play-off baseball game.
At first I was going to change but the announcer knew what he was doing and pretty soon I very much enjoying this game.
That surprised me greatly.

·
Super Moderator
10,848 Posts
We should put our soldiers on the air - live. Fire fight - live. Go Team! Hunkering down in a freezing cold fox hole eating MRE's - live. Dragging a wounded buddy back to a safe place - live. Capturing Taliban POS's - live. Solving Taliban lead deficiencies one pill to the diaper head at a time - live. Talking bad about the Major - rerun of Stalag 13 (Hogan's Heros).

·
23,845 Posts
If your serious, While I believe our combat soldiers should be held in high regard (my youngest 3 combat tours with the 82nd Airborne), I in know way see it as appropriate, to showcase the desperation of combat, that will include the dying, maiming, and hellacious killings, and "personal tramas", that happen in such events.

I saw over a period of 21 years, what some combat soldiers have seen, in one day.

It would become I think, a spectator sport, that would "further desensitize", an already "desensitized public".
Voyeristic war is fun if you don't get shot.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Well I can't help it I was raised in Northern Iowa and will be a Twins fan until I die. I am glad they traded Parker off though. He was the slowest working pitcher ever. He had some quirky herky jerky bull crap that he went through before every pitch that drove me nuts. Just throw the ball would ya and do that other crap at Yoga class or something!

Eddie Rosario could use a foot in the arse every once in while for jogging to first on everything he hits one in the air. He isn't the star that he thinks he is. The highest paid player on the team is Nelson Cruz and he has zero ego problems.

To like the game of baseball you have to understand it period!

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts
That is too bad for the minor leaguer's who are just playing ball to play ball, but most never see the Bigs anyway. There is a demand and there are several semi-pro teams popping up around the country that will suck up those players and facilities so probably not much effect. I'm sure scouts will be buzzing around them as well.

Baseball is an outstanding game and fun to analyze if you know the game. I coached youth baseball for the last 10 years and this year will be my first without it as both my boys have stopped playing baseball to go full out with Lacrosse. Which is a great game as well, but I know nothing about coaching it... Gonna miss those days!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts