Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've often heard people speak disparaging of pellet guns, BB guns, and 22s as if they are somehow inferior to other guns. I think these guns are the most important of single projectile guns because of their utility, economy, and value for improving shooting skills. If you don't like them for some reason, I'd like to know why.

·
Premium Member
24,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was referring to experienced shooters. For example, I once heard an experienced shooter refer to an olympic style competition pellet pistol as a BB gun. When I was shopping for a 22 rifle a guy told me to forget about it and get a real gun instead.

On the other side of coin, I know a man who owns some very fine shotguns, but prefers a clunky old Russian over under for his clay target shooting. He can shoot anything he wants but is smart enough to know what he likes.

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
Not a thing wrong with a 22 or good pellet gun. Bought my first 22 50 years ago. A Winchester model 69. Every afternoon after school my beagle and i would go for a walk and the 22 always went with us. 45 years later my 2 grandsons and grand daughter were still shooting that old Winchester.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Any real shooter would never decry any of them. A 22 is the most versatile caliber there is. You can teach people to shoot with it, a survivalist could easily forage food with it, it is a bit small for self defense but better than nothing, you can get into some great long range shooting out to 300 yards with them. you can micro snipe using smaller targets at 25 yards and it is not expensive. Ok other than rampaging grizzlies, doped up violent criminals, grey whales and zombies the 22 is the perfect companion.
This year alone I will shoot more 22 ammo than anyhting else combined. By the way they are great woods guns. You can carry a box shells in the same space 2-12 guage shells take up.

The newer pellet guns are sweet to shoot also, same reasons as a 22.

Too many people read silly opinions and don't get out there and shoot.

·
Registered
7,617 Posts
Squirrels, rabbits and all manner of birds are an easy feat for a pellet gun. ear

·
Registered
42,140 Posts
CONAN. I learned snap shooting with my 1st bb gun that still applies today. I still think bb guns are fun, cheap too. I had a crossman pump up 22 cal pellet pistol I really liked a lot. I killed a squirrel with a shot to the head. I found that I got more vel out of the 22 cal balls than I did the pellets. 22s are great for most anything. Anybody who knocks them doesn't know what they are talking about. POWDERMAN. ;D ;D

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Tell them the 22 rimfire is the true rifleman's cartridge.
No more should need to be said on that matter.

Pat

·
Registered
42,140 Posts
Hooker said:
Tell them the 22 rimfire is the true rifleman's cartridge.
No more should need to be said on that matter.

Pat

Good reply. POWDERMAN. ;D ;D

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Anyone that says bb guns or .22s are not real guns needs to be willing to stand in front of them while being shot a few times and then ask their opinion again if they are real guns or not.
GuzziJohn

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Hooker's statement just about covers it. The same folks who talk down the lowly smallbore is the same guy who preaches the need for 30 caliber and larger magnum rounds to kill whitetail and thinks there is no such thing as overkill. I wonder just how many hunters and shooters there would be if it were not for an introduction by way of BBs and 22RF. I'd bet the numbers would be very low.

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
My biggest dislike for MY pellet gun is that is just plain doesn't shoot where I am aiming. It is junk, BUT I do like my step Dads Benjamin pellet gun it is very accurate and a quality gun. So if I have a dislike for the .177 pellet gun the only dislike I harbor is for my own. As for .22s they are very fun and I shot mine most as a youth, but now with all the houses close to ours, my kids can't just go plinking like I could, so when we go "shooting" it is usually an official trip to the pit with centerfires although many of those ar .224 caliber bullets just moving faster that a rimfire.
So for those of you with a nice pellet gun and you can hit where you are aiming I am not angry about it, I am happy for you. thejanitor

·
Premium Member
3,673 Posts
I love my 22 nothing is more fun to me than to sit up on my back deck in late spring with a box of 22 shells and pop the heads off dandilions in my back yard

·
Premium Member
9,821 Posts
My first gun was a .22, I would NEVER be without one.

·
Premium Member
7,981 Posts
Conan said:
I've often heard people speak disparaging of pellet guns, BB guns, and 22s as if they are somehow inferior to other guns. I think these guns are the most important of single projectile guns because of their utility, economy, and value for improving shooting skills. If you don't like them for some reason, I'd like to know why.

thats good

more pellets and ammo for those of us that know better
my favorite 22 load is a CB
most pellet guns today pass through a squirel
i prefer a pellet gun for small game

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Shooting a 22 lr is like shooting a 308. Having said that if you divide 308 ranges in half you get the same wind drift and trajectories for a 22. So if you shoot a 22 at 200 yards it is the same as shooting a 308 at 400 yards without the recoil or expense. Now look at the ballistic tables grab a box or two of 22s and head out and have some fun. Let the gun store commandos talk about the newest and greatest whatever just came out. The rest of us will throw a $20 on the counter grab a carton of 22 shells and have some fun.

·
Registered
42,140 Posts
I used to save my allowance and money I earned from cutting grass, odd jobs, or baling hay when I was a kid and bought 22 shells by the brick and shoot em all up on the weekend. There was a pasture down in a creek bottom. We would take a bunch of balloons and release them in a good wind and take turns releasing and shooting. Learned to lead pretty well doing that. We would always clean up the busted balloons. We mostly used my Dads old spfld, a mod 187 I believe, a semi auto that also could fire shorts or longs singly by operating the bolt. Shorts used to be cheap, now they are 3x the cost of bulk lrhpts. Killed a lot of squirrels and ground hogs with head shots with the short hps. I shoot my 22s more than anything. POWDERMAN. ;D ;D

·
Registered
7,617 Posts
Shu said:
Shooting a 22 lr is like shooting a 308. Having said that if you divide 308 ranges in half you get the same wind drift and trajectories for a 22. So if you shoot a 22 at 200 yards it is the same as shooting a 308 at 400 yards without the recoil or expense. Now look at the ballistic tables grab a box or two of 22s and head out and have some fun. Let the gun store commandos talk about the newest and greatest whatever just came out. The rest of us will throw a $20 on the counter grab a carton of 22 shells and have some fun.
My philosophy exactly except more fun, challenging and "cheep"with a pump up pellet gun. (exercise you know) Instincts and muscle memory will come into play if you shoot enough. ear

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.