Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i don't have a name for it, and i would imagine
i'm not the first to come up with this

slice 1 can of spam and cook the grease out in an iron skillet (#8)
peel and dice up about 4 good sized potatoes. boil till tender & drain.
dice up the cooked spam and mix with cooked diced potatoes and
2 cans of great northern beans in the skillet. i add onion powder
and garlic powder and black pepper. when i feel up to it, i use diced
onion and cook that with the spam. there's no real carved-in-stone
spice, but i always use the onion and garlic and black pepper for sure.

i eat this either with cornbread or toasted yellow corn tortillas.
i'd imagine it'd go good with some fresh biscuits also.

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
The last time I ate spam was about 3 or 4 years ago on a hunt with my brother-in-law and nephews. Egads, that stuff was so salty that it was inedible. When did that happen? I probably hadn't eaten spam in 10 or 15 years prior to that, and it was pretty good. Did we just get a bad can, or is it really that salty now?

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it's always been salty and greasy since
i've been eating it. one of the reasons
i cook it out and don't add any salt when
using it. the potatoes and beans i use
aren't salted, so it kinda balances out well.

they say your tastes change up every so
often as we age, so who knows ?

by itself, . . .yeah it would be pretty tough. :(

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
try cooking it out. maybe even on
the side of the barbeque grill. it's
really good like that. as the juice and
grease go out of it, it gets less salty.
i'd be fairly sick eating it straight from the can.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
I like a lot of onion but don't want it overcooked which is what would happen if they were added to the cooking of the spam. I add them later and I also prefer navy beans over the northerns. I also add a good amount of our homemade salsa. Kinda eliminates the need for further seasoning other than the black pepper. ;) Our salsa is a bit sweet also, which changes things up a bunch.

·
Registered
7,617 Posts
I break it up in a skillet full of water and boil the fat and salt out as well as possible then drain it and dry it out in the skillet over heat.
I usually let it cool then scramble eggs in it. I do the same thing with canned corned beef.
The potatoes and onions, (and peppers), sounds like it would be a meal.

·
24,003 Posts
I do something similar. I take venison brats and cut them up and put them in my homemade baked beans and then put it on fried potatoes.

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the fried potatoes sounds good.

this was mainly something that could
be thrown together quick and not have
to hover over it and babysit it.
the most trouble comes from peeling the taters.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Been on a fried tater kick lately. Been putin them in everything but ice cream. I like to peel them and slice them about a half inch or so thick, then run them through a Vidalia Chop Wizard with the small cutter in place. Makes them cook faster. Only butter in the skillet until melted then add taters, salt and pepper (taters take a lot of salt) and when their about done I throw in a diced up onion. Finely chopped ham gets fried and added to the top of the pile and everything gets covered with milk gravy made from bacon grease. Venison, beef, spam, goat, fresh road kill or any kind of critter finely diced up works fine. I just happen to like ham. Toast or a good biscuit results in a plate that looks like it doesn't even need washed. ;)

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Old said:
Been on a fried tater kick lately. Been putin them in everything but ice cream. I like to peel them and slice them about a half inch or so thick, then run them through a Vidalia Chop Wizard with the small cutter in place. Makes them cook faster. Only butter in the skillet until melted then add taters, salt and pepper (taters take a lot of salt) and when their about done I throw in a diced up onion. Finely chopped ham gets fried and added to the top of the pile and everything gets covered with milk gravy made from bacon grease. Venison, beef, spam, goat, fresh road kill or any kind of critter finely diced up works fine. I just happen to like ham. Toast or a good biscuit results in a plate that looks like it doesn't even need washed. ;)
Run 'em through a grinder with a coarse blade.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I love SPAM! :)
Thanks for the reminder, I need to pick up a couple tins for the hunting season. ;D

·
24,003 Posts
Probably my favorite meal is Fried taters and onions with a chicken fried venison back strap on top and all covered with sausage gravy. Its a meal fit for a king!!! My wife would eat fried potatoes every night and not complain.
Ranger99 said:
the fried potatoes sounds good.

this was mainly something that could
be thrown together quick and not have
to hover over it and babysit it.
the most trouble comes from peeling the taters.

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Lloyd said:
Probably my favorite meal is Fried taters and onions with a chicken fried venison back strap on top and all covered with sausage gravy. . . .

i'll second that ! :D :D

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
A lot of times for breakfast I'll dice up some potato - small dice, maybe 1/4 inch (if I use planned over baked or boiled potatoes, I chunk 'em up in maybe 1/2 to 3/4 inch pieces). Start that frying in some grease of some sort (bacon, sausage, lard, or a mix of butter and oil), add some salt and pepper.
While that is cooking, chop up some onion and leftover meat, and add them to the potatoes when they are almost ready to flip.

Sometimes I'll beat some eggs and pour those over and scramble everything together. Maybe add some grated cheese.

Good rolled up in flour tortillas with some salsa, or just out of a bowl with pepper sauce.

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
subdjoe said:
A lot of times for breakfast I'll dice up some potato - small dice, maybe 1/4 inch (if I use planned over baked or boiled potatoes, I chunk 'em up in maybe 1/2 to 3/4 inch pieces). Start that frying in some grease of some sort (bacon, sausage, lard, or a mix of butter and oil), add some salt and pepper.
While that is cooking, chop up some onion and leftover meat, and add them to the potatoes when they are almost ready to flip. . . .

that's what the old folks usta call hash ;)
(i still eat that myself :D )

subdjoe said:
Sometimes I'll beat some eggs and pour those over and scramble everything together. Maybe add some grated cheese.

Good rolled up in flour tortillas with some salsa, or just out of a bowl with pepper sauce.

this is as good a way to eat this as any other (i'm starting to drool a bit :D )

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Ranger99 said:
that's what the old folks usta call hash ;)
(i still eat that myself :D )

I stopped using that term a while ago - got tired of having to explain it to people. ::) [/color]

this is as good a way to eat this as any other (i'm starting to drool a bit :D )
Yep. Starting almost any meal with fried potatoes and onion is a good way to go. Heck ... just sauteed onion and garlic is a good way to go! Mess it out on some bread and enjoy it with a beer!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.