Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

This might not be the right section of the forum and if is in the wrong place I am sure the moderator(s) will move it. My question is how many hunters come to Maine to bear hunt and what do you think of our methods. We have a really hot question coming up this next election regarding this issue. I'v heard all the rhetoric on the paid political commercials but would like to hear from some actual hunters. What do you guy's think about the issue of fair chase, baiting, Etc.?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Hi Sid;
I have never hunted bears in Maine, but I am one of only a few people in Massachusetts and Southern Vermont who is a dedicated bear hunter. I take time off from work every year to bear hunt in both states and have seen hundreds of bears, killed a few and taken others with me who have killed a few as well. I have probably passed on more bears than most hunters have ever seen. Anyway, my point is I'm a bear hunter.
My feelings are, there is no easy way to hunt bears. Contrary to popular belief baiting or dogs does not make for an easy hunt. I don't bait bears and I don't own dogs, but I wouldn't say anyone who does has an unfair advantage. When I was first starting out I went on a baited bear hunt in New Brunswick. We sat for 7 hours a night for six nights watching the baits and out of three hunters only one bear was seen and taken. It was not an easy hunt. I have also never hunted bears with dogs, but I have hunted mountain lions in Montana with dogs. After five days of not even letting the dogs out we finally cut a fresh track. Six hours and many miles later we finally treed a cat. It was the most physically and mentally challenging hunt I have ever been on.
So, my feelings are any method of hunting bears is fine with me. Anyone who thinks hunting over baits or using dogs is easy or unfair has never done it. I don't think the method has anything to do with the issue. I think antihunters in general are a sad lot who use "animal rights" to hide their own misery and their need to keep others from enjoying something they like to do. They also love the divide and conquer method of fighting.
So, to all you Mainers, as far as I'm concerned, go out and hunt bears any way you can. But, lets not fight between us. If you hunt with dogs, don't give grief to the person who baits. If you like to spot and stalk hunt, don't bad talk the hound men. We need to stick together or we will be brought down by the antis from within.
Just my $0.02
Tony212

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tony,

Thanks for the reply. This is pretty much what I am hearing locally. Most of the $$$ for the antis came from out of state. There are a group of people that just have a crusade going all the time, hunting, gun control, politics, whatever. We hunters understand the pick, pick, pick, tactics. This issue was before Maine voters a couple of elections ago and the antis lost. Now they are back. Their goal is the elimination of all hunting. I hope other hunters in other states are watching Maine next week. A big wake up call.

·
Premium Member
9,715 Posts
Sid,

I agree with what Tony said, bear hunting is very difficult no matter how you go about it. I live in central NH in the heart of bear country. I'm only a casual bear hunter, I buy a tag every year just in case I see one but I'm mostly out hunting small game in September and October. I've never shot one or even seen one while out hunting during the season. The only time I see them is during the off season, especially while I'm hunting spring turkeys. I'm watching closely what goes on in Maine because I fear that coming here too. Bear hunting is something I'd like to get more into. I have a trail cam in the woods behind my house, I was happy to see this guy on film when I checked the cam last weekend.

Attachments

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hello,
Tony couldn't have said it any better! Yes, far too much infighting & it will be our downfall. Who cares if you took that trout with a wet fly or a dry fly or with a worm...! Still tastes just as good.

Been in Alaska for the past 25 years, where we have spring (black) bear baiting. Used to live in Maine & am planning to go back there this spring. ...Miss a lot of things & not getting any younger ~ four seasons, longer growing season, maple sugaring, hunting rabbits (hare) with beagles, &c. Sure hope I will still be able to bear bait when I get back there, & any time you can add dogs into a day in the field, well, so much the better!
Sorry for the rant, kind of gets my blood boiling. ...I'll get off the soap box now.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bevel Down,

PLEASE don't get off the soap box!! If this stupidity passes in Maine, it will just be a tiny step for the Anti's. There will be victory parties all over NYC, Kalifornia, Colorado, with the wing nuts drinking $30.00 bottles of chardonnay, eating veggie cheese (??) and congratulating each other while watching an old 'Bambi' movie. Go to the general hunting section of this hunting section if you want to see my rant. Keep protesting and hindering any attempt by this group of radicals.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I have hunted bears over dogs twice in maine. The first wasnt that bad tagged out in 2 days. The second came up shot some of the hardest hunting ive done in my life. Wish i had a voice in the vote. Just another outlander that wishes the sport well.

·
Premium Member
9,715 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
They came after the bear baiters, but I "spot & stalk"-- so I said nothing.

They came after hound hunters, but I bird hunt with a setter -- so I said nothing.
They came after pike fishermen, but I only fish for trout -- so I said nothing.
Now, they are coming for my rifle, my bird dog & my trout rod -- now there is no one left to speak for me.

Do these so called "hunters" actually thing the HSUS is going to stop with bear baiting?

Who was it who said something to the effect of "we must stand together or we will surely perish separately?"

·
Registered
1,740 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, we won this time. If you look at the numbers it was not a landslide. You can bet your bippy that these same people are planning their next attack on out door sportsmen.

Their tactics are despicable but effective. One of their favorites was a video of a treed bear being "murdered" and then a pack of dogs tearing into him on the ground. It appeared to be a very small bear. This ad ran over and over. Another was a snared bear with a "hunter" walking up to him and shooting it with a handgun. Come on guys, how do the wingnuts get these videos, and who takes them in the first place. Todays little kids that see this stuff is tomorrows voter. This type of anti advertising is also very viable with the soccer mom mentality and others who have not even thought about hunting issues.

We, as sportsmen, have to stay on our toes. THINK before you act and remember that every video you post is seen around the world and catalogued by the anti crew. Anything you say will be used out of context and against you..................Be careful.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts