Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is about something I felt while climbing around Beartown Rocks near Clear Creek State Park in Northwestern Pennsylvania. My ( now ex) wife and I were up in the area driving around and decided to check out Beartown Rocks across the road from Clear Creek State Park which is located on the Clarion River. I've floated the Clarion too many times to remember and quite a few times from Johnsonburg to right above Clarion, Pa. I've camped during bear season at Clear Creek but had never seen the rocks near there. So this day we decided to check out the huge boulders and rock formations. We climbed around and everything was fine until I walked through a narrow corridor between 2 of the huge rocks. As soon as I entered, I felt a wave of cold come over me and I actually shivered. Now this was in August, very hot out, and not a breeze was blowing. The air was perfectly still. The feeling went away as soon as I got out the other side. I mentioned it to my wife but she stated that she hadn't felt a thing. I walked through again, and again, I got the same feeling. A coldness hit me along with a sense of dread. Only in that one spot did I have that sensation. I've had several other situations that I couldn't explain and this ranks right up near the top. I felt the rocks and they were warm, there wasn't a breeze blowing between them ,and it was in the middle 80's out temperature wise. Anyone else ever have that feeling around the Beartown Rocks ?

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
I had that feeling walking down the isle with my first wife. . I should have run like heeelll. I was to scared. note to self. if you get that feeling again, pull pistol from shoulder holster, and run like heeelll.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had that feeling walking down the isle with my first wife. . I should have run like heeelll. I was to scared. note to self. if you get that feeling again, pull pistol from shoulder holster, and run like heeelll.
Your first wife ?? Lol!! Evidently you didn't learn your lesson after the first time unless the 2nd was a real keeper ! Ha ha !! I'm going to take a trip back up there this Spring. I'm curious to see if I get the same feeling again.

·
Registered
5,948 Posts
There is no explanation for things like that is my belief. Many years ago my family and one of her sister's family went on a weekend cat fishing trip on the Pecos River almost down on the Texas line south of Carlsbad, NM. Four adults and five teenagers made up the group. After we were there awhile but hadn't set up camp my wife told me she had a strange feeling about the place and wanted to go somewhere else. I told her I though we would be just fine but she kept on about it and finally we moved about a mile down the river to satisfy her and she was OK. The strange feeling had quickly gone away after we left. No one else felt anything at all except it was a nice summer afternoon. This is the only time this has happened in our long life together.

Now to the rest of the story. There is a large natural gas pile line crossing the river very close to the place where we intended to camp. About 12 years later a group was camped in basically the same place we were as it was a fairly popular fishing spot. The pipeline ruptured late at night causing a huge fire and burning to death almost every one in the group and destroying their RV and another vehicle. I see no connection between the two events but it still makes one wonder if she had a very early premonition of danger from the pipeline.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is no explanation for things like that is my belief. Many years ago my family and one of her sister's family went on a weekend cat fishing trip on the Pecos River almost down on the Texas line south of Carlsbad, NM. Four adults and five teenagers made up the group. After we were there awhile but hadn't set up camp my wife told me she had a strange feeling about the place and wanted to go somewhere else. I told her I though we would be just fine but she kept on about it and finally we moved about a mile down the river to satisfy her and she was OK. The strange feeling had quickly gone away after we left. No one else felt anything at all except it was a nice summer afternoon. This is the only time this has happened in our long life together.

Now to the rest of the story. There is a large natural gas pile line crossing the river very close to the place where we intended to camp. About 12 years later a group was camped in basically the same place we were as it was a fairly popular fishing spot. The pipeline ruptured late at night causing a huge fire and burning to death almost every one in the group and destroying their RV and another vehicle. I see no connection between the two events but it still makes one wonder if she had a very early premonition of danger from the pipeline.
Wow ! Talk about being at the wrong place at the wrong time ! Sometimes you just have to follow your instincts. Thanks for that story Oldandslow.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts