Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got this link in an email today. Though I don't typically give much merit to mass emails with a cause, I took interest to this one since we've had previous discussions on "evil movies". I just have a hard time believing that intelligent people actually consider a movie to be a threat to christianity... but I'll let everyone make their own opinion.
http://www.snopes.com/politics/religion/compass.asp

·
Registered
11,971 Posts
Skeptic10787 said:
Got this link in an email today. Though I don't typically give much merit to mass emails with a cause, I took interest to this one since we've had previous discussions on "evil movies". I just have a hard time believing that intelligent people actually consider a movie to be a threat to christianity... but I'll let everyone make their own opinion.
http://www.snopes.com/politics/religion/compass.asp
If the reasons behind the movie facts could be kept to this, it would be fine, BUT if this gets into the drive-by media, they will dig-out the most obtuse speaking "evangelist" to make some bizzare statements, which will double movie attendance and make the christian side look like fascist pigs, because that is what the liberal twats want.
Bob

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did the media controversy of The Da Vinci Code increase it's popularity? Absolutely. As to whether it was caused by the "fascist pigs" or the "liberal twats", well thats another debate in itself.
I really can't predict how far the opposition to this movie will go. The movie has already been accused of targeting children so they will read the books and follow them into eternal darkness. I have yet to see any opposition on national telivision, but who knows where they might pop up.
My issue is that we can always create an agenda for any movie. They're always stereotyping someone, and they're always supporting some group or some belief. We can find that in any movie. Why are these recent "evil movies" any worse than the rest? If the opposition believes they're based on fiction, then they shouldn't be any more concerned about them than, say, Shrek ...or is that an evil movie too because it's supporting inter-species relationships?

·
Registered
18,405 Posts
It is good for parents too understand the source that they may make intelligent choices for their children.
Blessings

·
Premium Member
1,067 Posts
Are there "worse" movies out there? Sure. But like williamlayton said, it's important to consider the source.
Also, just because there's other evil movies, should we not address this one?

BTW, my daughter's 6th grade class was reading this book....in preparation for eventually seeing the movie as a class. Well, 2 days into it, a slew of emails and calls from more parents than I would have expected, and the book reading has been cancelled and no plans for the class to see the film together.

I see it as when you know the author's intentions, why expose your kids to it? There are countless books to read and study out there.

·
Registered
234 Posts
William & Trib,

Great thots you two!
As many have said:
"The problem with common sense is that it isn't too common."
When we teach kids that they come from animals...
Then why are we mystified when they think and act like animals.

Hence the phrase of abhorrence coined by humanity: "What are you, Some kind of Animal?".....

Garbage in.......then.......Garbage out.
You get what you pay for.
Pretty is as pretty does.
If you want to dance then You've got to pay the fiddler.
If it is not for sale then get out of the window.
You can not defy gravity, you can only demonstrate it when you step off a 50' cliff.
You get burned when you recklessly play with matches.
Don't confuse me with the facts, my mind is already made up....etc.

Christianity is going to be just fine...it's those who are misled who are going to get hurt.
And as Proverbs says: Wisdom SHOUTS in the streets for a hearing....
Also, Jesus had some straight talk toward those who diminish the truth around children.

Savvy that?!

Peaks my attention,

JonJon

1 - 6 of 6 Posts