Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started hunting with a used, but well cared for, 30-30 top eject Winchester Model 94. It was tuned "to 100 yd. perfection" at the range but took no game while I owned it. On its 1st outing we met a doe, at 10 yards. The doe was not on the menu and protected by law that day. On its 2nd outing, with open sights through a pea-soup marsh fog, I spotted a deer, very close. In the moments of the early morning that it took to decide that it was a legal buck, which now seem like an "eternity", the deer walked 2 steps into the thick fog and disappeared at 22 yards! I did not shoot! It haunts me to this day, though multiple lessons were learned!

Remarkably, with some luck steering my feet, that afternoon I visited a Bow Hunter's Shop. I fell in love! Over their cash register was a consignment 270 Winchester Model 70 Classic Featherweight with Bausch & Lomb 3 x 9 scope. That rifle went home with me immediately and has been my "go-to" hunting rifle since!

"Take a look at my girlfriend...", the Supertramp song lyrics say. With 32-years together, my 270 Winchester remains as beautiful - to me - as she will always be. Her "furniture" is nice, but Winchester plain. The checkering is no longer "as sharp". There is a tiny piece missing from her Schnabel forend and I have looked, and looked, and looked again, to no avail, for new furniture.

Her crown has a "ding" that does not affect trajectory, though how it got there I am uncertain. There is a 4" long crack in her stock at the bolt handle and I definitely know how that got there.

Through thousands of hunts, both quick release shoulder strap fasteners have indented the stock. The "thin whippy barrel" was tough to tame, but in a gentler and less costly time, I found the right combination of bullet and load.

She has fired multiple thousands of rounds of ammunition and will STILL outshoot my capability. The rifle has accounted for nearly all of my meat gathering. I am indebted.

·
Super Moderator
11,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just an ugly ol green piece of Tupperware for a stock but she shoots true and has never left me down. 6.5x55 Swede
Yes. I bought one of those in 308 Winchester, now with two (2) green stocks (that's another story), and it is a shooter also! Ruger has made some very affordable and very accurate rifles.

·
Super Moderator
11,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is my go to deer rifle. A .58 caliber that shoots a patched round ball of 277 grains into 1.5" at 75 yards with the iron sights.
Beautiful wood! Reminds me of the Wahoo caught regularly off of our Atlantic Coast.

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
My favorite hunting rifle was an 1898 krag, now given to my daughter. If I was going hunting now, I'd probably use my Savage Hog Hunter (308) or 1894 Krag (30-40 Krag).

·
Registered
51 Posts
CZ455 Synthetic stock with a Atec Wave sound moderator,
I bedded the stock and re crowned the muzzle myself, managed to get custom trigger guard too,

Ideally I wanted a rosewood stock, but having scratched more than one of my hand finished stocks I thought it prudent to go plastic

This thing can shoot, and i mean really shoot, its almost on a par with my Anschutz 54

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Well here she is. Remington 760 in 6mm Nikon Monarch 3-9x40. Bought this gun new in 1984 from a local shop going out of business. Best $140 I ever spent. She's getting a little rough around the edges after 37 years of chasing West Virginia and Pennsylvania whitetails. I'd guess I've killed close to 100 deer with this rifle and she still shoots 100 grain factory Remington ammo like a bench rest gun. 50yd target - 3 shots
Rectangle Grey Flooring Floor Wall

Wood Plant Wood stain Door Hardwood

Brown Wood Door Trigger Air gun

·
Premium Member
5,188 Posts
My go to gun is a TCR 87 Hunter with a 7mm08 barrel installed or my G2 contender with a 7x30 Waters barrel in 23 inch Both scoped with 3x9x40 Bushnell scopes

Deaconllb

Reactions: Topnotch

·
Registered
128 Posts
My favorite of the day is my Remington Model 7 in .308 topped with a Zeiss Conquest 3x9. But one that is 'deer' to me (pun intended) is my old Marlin 336CS in 30-30 with a 150 gr Win cartridge has counted for my first and my kids first deer. It has had the stock refinished and busted and glued together, but you couldn't buy that gun from me. Dad bought it for me at a Target in Knoxville for 169.00 as a Christmas present.

·
Registered
312 Posts
What’s crazy is I have a lot of rifles to choose from and I hunt with several but if I had to pick the “go to” gun it’s my 700 25-06 Mountain Rifle and Weaver 2-10 with 100 grain Core Lokt. Nothing fancy but if I pull the trigger, it’s dead

·
Super Moderator
11,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I can't say I have been "around the block" with some of the rifles and calibers with which you are familiar. The 30-30's yes. I have an affinity for those and that's what I mean bowtech - a rifle that just shoots and leaves nothing on the field.

I had a 30-06 Remington 760, NIB, from an estate sale. Never shot it. Not my caliber. Not knocking it though. The guy that bought it was ecstatic!

I have several 22's that shoot and shoot very well. In particular a stainless Ruger K77/22RP that digests cheap bulk Remington ammo like candy and puts it into neat and tiny centering holes out to 65 yards, my limit, not the rifle's, with which I have killed many-many feral hogs up close and personal (25 yards from a rock steady rest in the "X" between ears and eyes) and a beautifully wood stocked Savage Anschutz Model 54 Sporter that prints to a "period" at 100 yards if I do my part.

As a kid I used to read the Gun Rags and lust at the Weatherby ads. You send them $XXXX dollars for five (or was it 10) years and they send you their rifle, idk which model, but they are all very nice looking, in one of three or four Weatherby calibers, and your money back at the end of the term! I have never actually seen a Weatherby and it is probably the flat land, forest, and trees where I am rather than open plains or mountains and valleys. Still, Weatherby's are beautiful rifles.

Who is "bob" rayj?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I can't say I have been "around the block" with some of the rifles and calibers with which you are familiar. The 30-30's yes. I have an affinity for those and that's what I mean bowtech - a rifle that just shoots and leaves nothing on the field.

I had a 30-06 Remington 760, NIB, from an estate sale. Never shot it. Not my caliber. Not knocking it though. The guy that bought it was ecstatic!

I have several 22's that shoot and shoot very well. In particular a stainless Ruger K77/22RP that digests cheap bulk Remington ammo like candy and puts it into neat and tiny centering holes out to 65 yards, my limit, not the rifle's, with which I have killed many-many feral hogs up close and personal (25 yards from a rock steady rest in the "X" between ears and eyes) and a beautifully wood stocked Savage Anschutz Model 54 Sporter that prints to a "period" at 100 yards if I do my part.

As a kid I used to read the Gun Rags and lust at the Weatherby ads. You send them $XXXX dollars for five (or was it 10) years and they send you their rifle, idk which model, but they are all very nice looking, in one of three or four Weatherby calibers, and your money back at the end of the term! I have never actually seen a Weatherby and it is probably the flat land, forest, and trees where I am rather than open plains or mountains and valleys. Still, Weatherby's are beautiful rifles.

Who is "bob" rayj?
257 Roberts...Had one in a post '64 Win 70, foolishly let it go... and later traded for a 760 in same.. the 760 wasn't quite up to the accuracy that I desired, it had evidenly been shot by a reloader{shot a lot)...can't afford the grade of 760 in the condition that I would like at today's prices..

·
Registered
101 Posts
I started hunting with a used, but well cared for, 30-30 top eject Winchester Model 94. It was tuned "to 100 yd. perfection" at the range but took no game while I owned it. On its 1st outing we met a doe, at 10 yards. The doe was not on the menu and protected by law that day. On its 2nd outing, with open sights through a pea-soup marsh fog, I spotted a deer, very close. In the moments of the early morning that it took to decide that it was a legal buck, which now seem like an "eternity", the deer walked 2 steps into the thick fog and disappeared at 22 yards! I did not shoot! It haunts me to this day, though multiple lessons were learned!

Remarkably, with some luck steering my feet, that afternoon I visited a Bow Hunter's Shop. I fell in love! Over their cash register was a consignment 270 Winchester Model 70 Classic Featherweight with Bausch & Lomb 3 x 9 scope. That rifle went home with me immediately and has been my "go-to" hunting rifle since!

"Take a look at my girlfriend...", the Supertramp song lyrics say. With 32-years together, my 270 Winchester remains as beautiful - to me - as she will always be. Her "furniture" is nice, but Winchester plain. The checkering is no longer "as sharp". There is a tiny piece missing from her Schnabel forend and I have looked, and looked, and looked again, to no avail, for new furniture.

Her crown has a "ding" that does not affect trajectory, though how it got there I am uncertain. There is a 4" long crack in her stock at the bolt handle and I definitely know how that got there.

Through thousands of hunts, both quick release shoulder strap fasteners have indented the stock. The "thin whippy barrel" was tough to tame, but in a gentler and less costly time, I found the right combination of bullet and load.

She has fired multiple thousands of rounds of ammunition and will STILL outshoot my capability. The rifle has accounted for nearly all of my meat gathering. I am indebted.
Mine was a pre 64 model 70 featherweigh(1959)t with an original Lyman 2.5 Alaskan on it, in .270 Win., my grandfather gave me. Took all my deer with it

1 - 20 of 24 Posts