Graybeard Outdoors banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,699 Posts
I start daydreaming about the next deer season in Springtime. I plan which rifle I will hunt with all season long. I rarely change rifles during a season.

Thinking Rem 700 in 7mm-08 this year.

·
Registered
432 Posts
In the 80's I took up deer hunting in N Louisiana. My go to was a Ruger M77 in -06 with Tasco widefield scope. Harvested a lot of whitetail with that one but after a move to N Indiana it became a dust collector but did help finance my TC Hawken (kit) in .54, it has accounted for a number of deer and a buffalo using patched round ball. Just before a move to North Carolina I picked up an "96" swede in 6.5 and a .35 Whelen improved on a 1917 action, love them both. In NC I added a .357mag Marlin to be used in Indiana each year when I went back to hunt with friends. Honestly, If I had to pick it would be tough, they are all very accurate, have all taken game with excellent results. Guess I would put them on the bed, close my eyes, spin around a couple of times and grab...that would be my favorite. Guess they are like Lays chips, hard to pick just one.

·
Super Moderator
11,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Mine was a pre 64 model 70 featherweigh(1959)t with an original Lyman 2.5 Alaskan on it, in .270 Win., my grandfather gave me. Took all my deer with it
Interesting that you typed it "interrupted" by the date that way and in that specific place. Take a look at My Showcase, Classic Featherweigh [sic] | Graybeard Outdoors (go2gbo.com), where the final "t" in "Featherweight" on mine is missing - a light strike and unique barrel marking. I cannot say enough good things about my 270 Featherweigh. She's been ALL THAT and more.

·
Registered
dad was a gunsmith, got lots of toys
497 Posts
my go to hunting rifle is a early to mid 80s, flat back, savage 110L, in 30-06.
it was my 18th birthday present from my dad. its always looked good in my opinion.
this year it got an amazing stock, that my dad had in the shop.
many are not savage fans, but i am! its stunning in person!

my back up is a left handed interarms commercial big ring 98 mauser, in 375 h&h mag.
its not ugly, but not as pretty as my savage. these 2 guns will never be let go.

either gun can easily out shoot me. both have bushnell scopes.
the savage, until last year had a vintage redfield 2-7, its now on my 44 mag handi.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts