Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several years ago I started having my mom and pop deer processor save the loin for me and what they call "chunk out" the rest so I can grind my own burger. It's taken me a while but this is the method I've settled on for dealing with the beef fat.

I have the local grocery meat dept save 5-6 pounds of beef fat. The key is to have them run it through the grinder. The fat is to wet to vacuum seal after I pick it up. I kind of dry age it. I take a standard quarter sheet pan and lay down two layers of paper towels. Next I spread the fat out evenly. Into the fridge uncovered for at least 12 hours. After 12-15 hours I put two layers of paper towels on top and take another sheet pan and flip it over. Discard the used paper towels. Into the fridge uncovered for another 12-15 hours. It's now dry enough to vac seal. I use pint bags for half pound and quart bags for a pound. Link below for the best vac seal bags I've found.

When I want burger I just get out a package of chunks, trim and cut it up. Get the amount of fat I want and grind.

http://www.thesweetattack.com/page/page/1617042.htm

·
Premium Member
3,610 Posts
That would yield a 30% fat mixture. More fat than I prefer. I typically do about 15%. In NC we can shoot a bunch of doe deer. My partner and I bone meat all season and vacuum pack the lean venison it until after the season is over. Then we get quality beef fat and grind about 250-300 lbs of finished burger. Both of us have kids would want all they can get. We use a commercial vacuum machine that he has for his seafood business. Seals four bags at a time. Hardest part is cleaning the market and the grinder after we are finished.

·
Registered
7,617 Posts
Two parts deer to one part beef brisket chunked and ground makes some preamium hamburger.
12 lb brisket + 24 LB DEER etc.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
I like deer chile. Venison jerky can also be very good if seasoned right and tenderized and flattened with a clean roofers hammer pryor to dehydrating.

·
24,003 Posts
I just buy the cheap fatty burger in a tube at wally world. One two lb tube of it with 8-10lbs of lean meat gives you 10-15 percent fat. just the way I like it. Its already ground perfectly so all I have to do is throw it in the meat mixer. Just don't try to eat that burger as is. It terrible stuff. It might be a bit more expensive the grinding your own fat but keep in mind that you are adding buger too so you end up with 20 percent more finished product. If you pay 6 bucks for a 2 lb tube and end up with 12 lbs of meat your paying 50 cents a lb for your burger. Still a pretty good deal.

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
Lloyd said:
I just buy the cheap fatty burger in a tube at wally world. One two lb tube of it with 8-10lbs of lean meat gives you 10-15 percent fat. just the way I like it. Its already ground perfectly so all I have to do is throw it in the meat mixer. Just don't try to eat that burger as is. It terrible stuff. It might be a bit more expensive the grinding your own fat but keep in mind that you are adding buger too so you end up with 20 percent more finished product. If you pay 6 bucks for a 2 lb tube and end up with 12 lbs of meat your paying 50 cents a lb for your burger. Still a pretty good deal.
^ ^ ^ i've done this before and it works as good as anything else i've tried ^ ^

·
24,003 Posts
I like venison better then beef too but my burger needs some fat in it and im sure not using venison fat. Nothing worse to me then a dry old burger made of just lean venison. Its fine like that in chilli or spegetti but its just easier for me to make it all the same.
charles said:
Never felt the need to mix beef burger with my venison burger. I like venison better than beef.

·
Premium Member
16,611 Posts
Pork fat works well too. :)

We all know Pork fat rules. :)

CW

·
Registered
9,714 Posts
I'm with the guys who just mix in the cheapest hamburger I can buy, just experiment with a few small batches to find the ratio you prefer. We also package some plain ground venison for chili, etc.

I've never tried adding just plain beef fat, but it would seem to me that would alter the taste of the venison as much, or nearly so, as adding beef burger.

·
Registered
7,617 Posts
IF I go to the trouble and expense to mix fat with deer I will only do it for meat that I want to be a top grade burger patty when it is finished. I use brisket.
To make type pork meat balls I will mix in the pork, bacon, sausage or other when I am ready to cook the dish.
If the meat is to be used for Mexiacan or Itilian or any red sauce blend straight deer works great. 90% of my deer is ground plain.

·
Premium Member
3,610 Posts
Had a venison burger on the grill this afternoon. Slice of Swiss cheese and red onion on a buttered toasted bun. Cooked another for my dog. Mine is ground with 15% beef fat. Wife froze some patties a few weeks ago for a beach tailgating venture. She adds pesto to the burger and our friends love it. OK with me but I also enjoy it right out of the package (85-15).

Never liked straight venison with no fat and I don't care for pork fat in my venison burger, or sausage made with pork added to venison.

My deer are cleaned immediately, washed out with cold well water, then hung in a walk in cooler for a week. Meat is much better when you can take proper care of it. Mostly I just shoot doe deer but I take a free buck when given to me if it doesn't stink.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Like others, I've had the best luck with fresh beef fat roast trimmings from the butcher, mixed in 13-15% in the grind. The suet-type organ fat is too waxy for handling for my taste. I also don't have the urge to add any beef meat, so the cheap burger has never appealed to me. Also heard of people adding bacon, which seems awful expensive.

We do a coarse grind of the trimmed venison and beef fat with a 1/4' plate. Hand mix the fat and venison, then regrind on the 1/8' plate. Vacuum sealed in 1-1.5lb packs and it will keep up to 2-3 years frozen. Makes great burgers for the grill, as well as tacos, stew, chili, etc.

Terry

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.