Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where do you fellas get your bees wax from. I have a 50 & 54 & am trying to shoot conicals. 1:32 for 54 1:28 for 50
Have both real bullet molds for each caliber & a 370 tc maxi. Tried lubbing with bore butter but not getting the groups I want (also melts if it gets too warm). Wanted to try & make up some lube. been using pyrodex P for powder & felt wads under the conicals

What kind of lube formulas do you guys have that won't melt in the heat & give reasonable results with conicals

How many shots before your groups start opening up or do you swab between every shot

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I get mine from e-bay. It was good stuff. Pure - not diluted. I use 50% bees wax, 40 % Crisco, and 10 % water soluble machine oil changing the percentages for the weather.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I bought a pound from Hobby Lobby this summer, it was about $10...I found a recipe on www.MuzzleloadingForum.com
If I remember right it was 2 parts bees wax, 8 parts caster oil and 1 part Murphys Oil Soap...Melt the bees wax, mix the others
and stir, let cool...You can remelt and add caster oil if you want it to be softer...I have used on patches and they look fine
after shooting...Go to that website and do a search, lots of ML info over there....

·
Registered
739 Posts
Health food stores carry big cakes of pure bees wax. Looks like 1/4 pound, 1/2 pound, and one pound, and maybe bigger.

·
Registered
379 Posts
4-5 parts wax and 1/2 part olive oil. Mix it and let it cool. As its cooling you can dip your bullets into it and set them on wax paper. Scrape the excess off the paper and return to the pot. If the mixture is too stiff then heat it up and add a TBS of oil and let it cool do this until the consistancy is where you want it. It also works well for patch lube. Have been doing this for 25+ years. Works for me.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Semisane said:
4-5 parts wax and 1/2 part olive oil.
??? Just HOW do you do that?
If you have your wax poured into and old plastic ice cube tray, use 5 cubes of wax and about 1/2 cube olive oil for a start. Let it set, add more of one or the other and mix to the hardened consistency that suits your needs. I guess it is like rocket science only much different and easier. ;)
Once you find the right mix it works very well and its cheap.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I've heard toilet seal rings from the hardware store are mostly beeswax of some sort. I think they go about .98c each at the local Menards. I also bought a pure block about the size of a pound of lard from a hippie shop at a music festival. You may also try getting beeswax candles, pulling the wicks out and melting them down.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hey One Hole,, I get mine from a beekeeper. If yer still readin this thread and still needin some, send me a PM, I'll send ya a # or so, you pay me back postage when ya git it.

P.S. Them toilet rings AIN'T beeswax! They used to be, but you'll have to find a hardware store that hasn't restocked toilet rings for about 25 years to find one made of beeswax :).

·
Registered
94 Posts
dla said:
Toilet rings are made from Bee's wax. Cheap.
Ok. toilet rings are made from bee's wax, I should have known that. You guy's go ahead an make bullet lube an patchin lube from "Cheap" toilet rings. I'll get my beeswax from a my friend the local beekeeper. Good luck.
p.s. Maybe, they might just add some other stuff to them "bee's wax" toilet rings. I'm just guessing though, I don't really know. :D

·
Registered
33 Posts
I tried lubing some t/c maxi balls I just finished casting tonight. Never tried lubing conicals in the past so this was as much an experiment as anything. Anyway, I used a double boiler and melted 1 part bee's wax to 1 part Crisco. After the mixture was melted and mixed, I used a baking tin (no, not the wife's personal cookware), stood the conicals upright and poured in the lube mixture till it filled up the baking tin to the top band on the conicals. Then I set the baking tin out on the back deck (about 20 deg F) and let it cool. An hour later I figured I could just pop out the conicals by breaking apart the "wax cake" and my bullets would be lubed and the excess could be remelted. Well as I quickly found out, upon breaking the "cake" the wax broke away from the bullets as well. Essentially, I had un-lubed bullets. So time for Plan B. I remelted the wax / Crisco mixture and dipped the conicals into the mix one at a time, stood them upright to dry, then redipped them a second time. At least this time I ended up with lubed bullets, although they look terrible :) I guess I like the looks of freshly cast lead better.... So I'm wondering, if my bee's wax / crisco mixture too brittle if it is breaking away from the conicals, like it did in Plan A? I'll head to the range tomorrow and give them a try. Would adding some sort of oil to my mixture make the lube more "moldable" and pliable? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Anyone every try SnoSeal for leather? I know it has beeswax, but not sure of the other ingredients and if it get hard in cold weather?

Jack

·
Registered
366 Posts
Try the local yellow pages for a beekeeper or honey company. Ours had a stall at the local swapmeet. $5 bought me all that I need for the next few years.

·
Registered
551 Posts
if you think toilet rings are beeswax try this experiment. Get a small hunk of real beeswax and lay it on a paper plate on a table. Next to it lay a toilet ring. try pushing the heel of your hand on each. Got it?

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
What are you paying Dadant a pound for wax? I know bright yellow capping wax is selling for $4.00 a pound on E Bay.

Bright yellow is capping wax.
the medium yellow is from new combs I take from bee removals we do.
the brown wax is from the used comb we take out of removals and frame comb we recycle.

A apiarey is where bees are kept.

;D Al

·
Registered
94 Posts
Now that's the look of natural bee's wax! Thanks for chiming in my apiareyatric friend! I never did find suitable the high pressure filtered stuff. I have been lucky enough to receive a good lot of what you call medium yellow. The texture is firm yet malleable with the fragrance of alfalfa and a bit of apple.
That's the kind of stuff our ancestors used when they found and or raised bee's. All this tissy about special concoctions of bees wax lubes in a mass market of fast sell products; csheech,,if guy's could just slow down a bit, read the archives,,and find folks like yourself locally,, how ever, those little 1 pound bricks for $4ea + shipping!? Gadds!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts