Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What can a man expect using a 14in stainless .22 match barrel, 36X
scope, 3in. benchrest forearm and flat piece on the grips, adjustable
front rest, and match grade ammunition, at 50yds? I am hoping for
3/8. Thanks Kirby

·
Banned
224 Posts
Kirby Ive never shot a set-up like you descrided but the first Contender I had I put a .22 LR Match Carbine barrel on it. With a fixed 6 power weaver scope, factory forend and stock, shooting from a sandbag rest and supporting the stock with just my hand, I consistently got 5 shot groups that were 3/8" or less with Federal Gold Medal Match ammo at 50 yards. I know theres a far cry of difference between a carbine and the rig you described but I see no reason why your rig couldnt do the same given good shooting techniques and the right ammo. I have a new Contender now, with a .22 LR Match barrel. Im waiting on a stock and scope for it but using that carbine barrels open sights and a pistol grip over a sandbag, and the same Federal ammo, Im getting 3/8" groups at 25 yards. Not very far I know...but considering the set up thats not too bad. Cant wait until I get the stock and scope on it and set up at 50 yards.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Find the right ammo and assuming everything is set up right, it should do that easily. It will take some practice on your part if your not already an experienced contender shooter. KN

·
Registered
7 Posts
Kirby,
I have a 14 inch stainless match grade contender barrel and the best groups are 0.19 inch @ 50 yards. 3/8 inch groups are no problem with practice. I have a simmons 6.5-20x50mm scope with weaver base and rings. The best thing about this setup is the ammo that it like the best. Winchester Dynapoints and Federial lightning. Again practice, practice and practice and 3/8 inch groups are no problem. :-D

·
Registered
289 Posts
Can't speak to a 22 barrel, but my .30 Bellm will shoot one ragged hole at 50 yards with a 2.5-7X Burris from a bench rest. Hasn't been warm enough to go outside yet to test it at 100 and 200 yards. Center to center was under .2" ought to be able to get that anyway I would think with a good barrel and ammo.
Helicopter Bill

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.