Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
why does it seem that beretta's not very popular among pistol shooters, is it because everyone wants a polymer frame pistol? I myself bought a glock over the 92fs, but i have a 85 ceetah already, but they are very high quality, and there is no question on time proven, they made cannons, and have been around forever, they are good and they seemed to be passed up, when people ask to see a nice gun the pass them up, it isa mystery i guess, anybody else feel this is common?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
well i just got a glock 17, and i shot a freinds 92fs too today, i dont like the beretta as much, except for the action! it is so smooth, but i absolutely love my glock, I think the glocks are popular for their reliability, and police departments help too

·
Registered
110 Posts
Beretta 92

I quit shooting in l989 and must say I never saw a Beretta on the firing line in action shooting and NRA action pistol. The gun magazines are splattered with new wrinkles on Colt .45's and a smattering on the Beretta. Although some competitors are using them the popularity just hasn't caught on. My son had one in the Marine corps and they didn't like them.. sorry, Its a great gun that never got the media attention it deserved.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They are good guns, i guess they just don't have very much publicity, the guns aren't cheap"why not advertise better?" :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi all, :D
Unpopular??? No one likes change, The 45 acp was the U.S. handgun cal. in the tried and true Colt 1911. The powers to be decided to establish a common cal. with the NATO forces. The 9mm parabelum (which means War) was and is the cal. of choice on every continent except America at that time. When Beretta won the contract to supply the Armed Forces of the U.S. there were many people who were against this. How could America let a foreign country supply the U.S. Armed Forces.
One of the stipulations, was that Beretta would build a factory in the U.S. which they did.
I am a Colt 45 fan, and would never get rid of my Colt, but I also own a Beretta. I also have become a 9mm shooter. I must say since I have owned my 92 both factory ammo and handloads, I have never had a malfunction of any kind. The .45 does have my vote as a man stopper, but I find can be very choosey about ammo. The U.S. has gone the route of firepower, hi capacity, liteweight, amd mobile.
Beretta the oldest firearms maker in the world is and has become a trusted name. I personally feel I own 2 of the finest handgun in the world.
Thats my 5 cents worth of info. :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hi everyone,
I do not own a Berretta, however I have shot quite a few of them as that is one of my primary firearms I use being that I am in the military. Personally I think the Berretta's are an okay handgun, even though I think they are a bit overpriced. Since I have been in the military I have only had one Berretta M9 that actually shot where I was aiming. Unfortunately the one that I am assigned currently will only hit center mast on a black silouette target if I aim at the left shoulder as the target is facing me. Alot of my other co-workers have had similar problems with their M9's. As far as funtionability goes I have never ran into a problem that a quick squirt of clp could not fix. However someday I will purchase a Berretta just because the are fun to shoot. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi Tony, :D
I read your post, and if you don't mind can I ask you a few questions?
How far away is the black silouette target you are shooting?
Are you a righthanded or lefthanded shooter , or are you shooting 2 hand combat?
Do you shoot with both eyes open, - do you know your dominate eye?
Is it the double action, first shot that opens your group?
I certainly do not intend question your shooting ability or that of your military instructors, but there are little things that can be corrected to help your shooting. Of course shooting a handgun which has seen some abuse and handled by many can be a problem.
I have the civilian version of the M9, and I enjoy shooting it very much.
I do most of my shooting at 25 & 50 feet, at a target which has a 3inch bullseye and do quite well, 2 hand combat.
Good luck and stay out of harms way.
Thank you for serving our country :)
[/b]

·
Registered
90 Posts
Papa Bear,
The first position on the firing line is from the 35 meter line and we shoot in the prone supported with sandbags. 2nd is from 25m, then 15m and finally 7m. We shoot with barricades as support with our strong side and weak side, also two handed unsupported, and one hand unsupported. I am a lefthanded shooter and I am left eye dominant. When I have to shoot right handed I still use my left eye to aim with because it just seems to work better for me. I tend to shoot with one eye open although I trying to get into the habit of shooting with both eyes open. When I shoot the combat range which is the pop up targets I shoot with both eyes open. I always start the first shot in single action mode due to the fact we have plenty of time to shoot are targets. Like I said I did have one M9 that was extremely accurate so long as I did my part and I stilll plan on buying one in 9mm because the ammo is so cheap. A plus for the Berretta's is that a person can srtip down so easy. Now if they would just make one in a 10mm and a 45acp.

P.S. Papa Bear, just wanted to let you know that I am very honored to serve this great country and all the good people that live here. :grin:

·
Registered
13 Posts
My first pistol was a Glock 23. Hated it. The G19 was the best one I had, but I didn't like it either. Tried the 26, 36, also.
I can't stand the harsh (for me) triggers on Glocks, they hurt my finger.
Bought a 92FS used and loved it, but somewhere along the way I stupidly allowed myself to be convinced it was too big for my hand. Tried 1911s, Walther p99, CZ, a couple of revolvers, still have a Browning Hi Power Capitan, and now have come around full circle to a brand spankin new Beretta 96 with laser grips.
I love this gun above any of the others I've tried, and I wish I had kept my 92.
I'll take these two Berettas over anything.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have not had to much experiance with the beretta pistols but i own a Al 390 Silver Mallard 12 ga. auto and it is a very durable reliable shotgun, Beretta makes some of the top of the line autoloader shotguns out there

·
Registered
411 Posts
I have to say that I enjoy shooting the Beretta M9's as well. Although I have never had the problems that Tony has had. Every weapon I have ever used shot straight to the point of aim. I have never scored less than sharpshooter in my qualifications and occasionally score expert.

Tony it almost sounds like you are anticipating the recoil. Though I am not going to say you are because I know you can't be navy so you get to shoot your weapons a whole lot more often than we do. Have you talked to your line judges about the problem?

Navylawdog

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Its all fad and fashion in the handgun world.

S&W's day has come and gone. Berretta 92s day has come and gone. Glock's day has come and gone. Today Sig is the fad and fashion statement.

When I decided to try an autoloader over my revolvers it took me well over 5 years to decide what I liked. Glocks, S&W, and Sigs all felt like 2x4s to me. The Berretta 92/96 was my top choice until I got a hold of a CZ75. AS soon as I handled the CZ I knew it was what I was looking for and bought it.

If the Berreta fits and works well for you what do you care what others are shooting. Unless you are a slave to fads, fashion and the gun writers.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
The only thing I do not like about the M9 is that it feels Bulky
and Kind of clumsy when shooting them. I prefer my Glock 19
to my Beretta, But the Beretta is an accurate handgun. I have
never qualified below a 95% with mine. As for the S.I.G.
I do not like their handguns. I have never fired one with
what I would call a really good trigger..

·
Registered
411 Posts
I have never had the opportunity to shoot the M11 even though I have always wanted to. I owned a Sig Pro and it shot great but I have never seen anyone shoot the M11 well. In fact my old chief used to always shoot a perfect score with the M9 but when he tried the M11 he barely even made sharpshooter. I guess it is what you are used to.

Navylawdog

1 - 14 of 14 Posts