Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shooting a 1:9 twist .223/5.56 AR. What bullet have you found to be best? I see Federal lists a 60 gr Nosler Partition. Winchester lists a 64 gr soft point and a poly tip, all have a deer on the box. Anyone tried these? No shot will be over 100 yards.

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
A 200 gr. 35 cal............just kidding.........being sarcastic

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A 200 gr. 35 cal............just kidding.........being sarcastic
Hahaha, I’m easy, diggin’ the humor. :tango_face_grin:

Tough to beat the ole 45/70 but want to try different...

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I’m in the camp that it’s not a good caliber for deer.
Keep track of a shot to loss ratio and keep us informed how it goes.
TT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
256 Posts
Shooting a 1:9 twist .223/5.56 AR. What bullet have you found to be best? I see Federal lists a 60 gr Nosler Partition. Winchester lists a 64 gr soft point and a poly tip, all have a deer on the box. Anyone tried these? No shot will be over 100 yards.
I"ve killed lots of deer with that 60gr Nosler Partition out to 168 yds (Ranged ) open field/stationary and good rest down to 25 maybe yds ! Main requirement is placement ,works every time !

·
Registered
32 Posts
I’m in the camp that it’s not a good caliber for deer.
Keep track of a shot to loss ratio and keep us informed how it goes.
TT

My son (@ 6 and 7 yrs old) is 2 for 2 with it. No, it's not the greatest caliber for deer but if the shooter does his/her job the bullet will do its job.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Jbird. I agree. With little recoil
It’s a very accurate caliber.
Tell your boys to keep up the good work. They will be one upping you very soon.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Jbird. I agree. With little recoil
It’s a very accurate caliber.
Tell your boys to keep up the good work. They will be one upping you very soon.

Thanks TT. Just one son, he killed his first deer (doe) when he was 6 and his second (6 pt) when he was 7, both with my AR .223. He just turned 9 in December has moved up to my Encore .243 with shortened buttstock. He killed a 6 pt with it this season with the Win PowerMax 100 gr HP's. After seeing how it performed in the .243, I'd really like to give them a try in .223. They just seem to be a bit difficult to find.

·
22,363 Posts
we tested a bunch for wound channel and penetration a few years back. That was before the bonded bullets came out so I don't have a clue how the work. The hands down best was the 60 grain partition. It gave decent wound cavity size and penetration. the varmint bullets acted, well like varmint bullets. Shallow penetration and a big close to the surface wound cavity and complete fragmentation. One of the worse was the barnes. Ive never been a fan of barnes bullets in 25 cal and smaller guns. they do fine with 7s and 30s IF the game is on the large size. The 22 barnes were a complete failure and we shot more of them then all the others combined because we though they might be the answer and wanted to make sure we weren't just seeing fluke results. Maybe one it 10 of them expanded and held together and came close to matching the nos part. Most of them penciled through with no expansion what so ever and maybe 2 or 3 out of 10 would expand and loose a pedal or two and go wako in the test box and dive out the top or bottom

Like I said the partitions were the class of the field. If I couldn't find them id probably wait and use a different gun. If I had to pick another bullet and couldn't wait the old non bonded 64 grain ww and the 65 grain sierra game king did marginally well. they penetrated a bit better then the rest. For sure stay away from the 55 grain varmint bullets and the barnes bullets unless your idea of a fun night is honing your tracking skills till the early hours of the morning. I'm sure your going to get someone that will say my kid started with my 223 and knocked down 5 deer right on the spot so its obviously more then Lloyd said. Well ill say this. Tell me even you killed 20 deer with your mighty 223 and never had to track a single one of them. Ill say you should have been a sniper and there should have been a movie made about you or your (I wont say lying because that gets them mad) forgetting some of the truth

·
Premium Member
3,542 Posts
The factory 60 grain Nosler Partition is what my 8 year old grandson dropped his first deer with DRT using a TC Carbine. Biggest doe we have ever killed at my club and range was 130 yards.

·
Registered
49 Posts
This argument has been hashed and rehashed many times. There is not one bullet or ammo manufacturer that will recommend a .224 bullet for deer size game.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This argument has been hashed and rehashed many times. There is not one bullet or ammo manufacturer that will recommend a .224 bullet for deer size game.
That's not entirely true. Winchester has the 64 gr soft point and now a 64 gr ballistic tip with a deer on the box.

·
22,363 Posts
I'm not a big fan of using them but nosler makes the partition for deer and barnes makes an x they market for deer hunters and since my days of fooling with it theres a number of bonded bullets that manufactures say right in there advertising are aimed right at deer hunting.

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
I've been sitting on 2 boxes of Federal loaded with 55g Bonded Bearclaw bullets. Curious to know if they would be good on deer. I can't imagine what they would be for besides deer.

I've got better stuff for deer hunting, but with a grandkid getting older every day I'd like to think the AR with those premium bullets would be great.

I also wonder if they quit loading them because they were a bad idea, better suited to a 22/250 or something else that's really stepping fast.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
22,363 Posts
Heres my take on it EQ. they probably would work. they probably would work even better I a 22250. that said I would go that route for a beginning hunter. 22 cal rifles can kill deer but do require surgically placed shots. A shot maybe you could make but a nervous 14 year old kid? I started my kids on 250 savages and had a few to many long tracking sessions with them and was dumb enough to arm all my grandkids with 243s (just so I didn't have to load for a bunch of different guns) and have made a couple more long night sessions in the woods. that said the 250 and 243 are MUCH better deer killers then 223s are. Common sense choice would be a good old marlin 3030 with a 4x scope and not let them shoot past a 100 yards. What your 223 would be good for is practice. Get them used to using good trigger control and breathing with a mild recoiling gun. Then when you feel there good enough buy them a real deer rifle or give them yours and you use the 223 for deer.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts