Graybeard Outdoors banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
22,363 Posts
Don't know if I will ever bother shooting another deer with 223 bullets but if I did that's the one id probably try if I want to use something other then a partition or if a partition didn't shoot well in my gun.
Nosler Bonded Performance Bullets 22 Caliber (224 Diameter) 64 Grain Protected Point Solid Base. Proven performer on deer and hogs.

·
Registered
325 Posts
meant 55s and 60s. Had a brain fart and was thinking 6mm x bullets which ive had just as pour luck with
They don’t make a 100gr 6mm Barnes

I’ve killed quite a few with the 6mm 80ttsx and have never had any trouble. Great expansion and penetration.

It’s odd you have so much trouble with them.

·
22,363 Posts
tell you the oddest thing I ever saw with x bullets. Out crop damage shooting one day and a doe came out in the field at about 250 yards. I had my 300 wby 700 loaded with tipped 180 x bullets. In the past I had good luck with the 7s and 30s using them and still do. But this one was a freek! I was aim behind the shoulder but must have flubbed the shot because I hit that deer right smack on the shoulder bone. Deer ran in about a 100 yard circle and dropped dead in the field.When I got to the deer I looked and its leg from the knee down was gone! First thought was I shot it in the leg and how did it die so quick. Didn't do much investigating there because it was early and we wanted more deer. Next morning when I butchered it I found the bullet had hit the shoulder bone, deflected and tracked right down the leg. What had killed the deer is bone chips from the shoulder blade that was in many pieces. I even took pictures of the damage and sent them to barnes asking if they had ever seen anything like that before. They said they hadn't but wanted the rest of the box of bullets back. I sent the 20 remaining and they sent me a 100 to replace them. Never did get back to me whether they found something wrong or not. My guess is this. Shoot enough deer (and we do) and you will see about everything.

Typical problem we had with the small bores is shooting behind the shoulder you get a tiny entrance and exit wound with very little internal damage. Hit the rib on the way through and they work real well. What they are good for in the small bores is for guys who take marginal shots. Shoot a deer in the but and the bullet is probably going to reach the vitals. Shoot something a bit to big for the caliber and its still going to reach the vitals.

Me? I shoot enough deer that I don't have to take marginal shots and have enough guns that I don't have to hunt moose with a 243 or deer with a 223. I just don't see the mentality of trying to get away with the absolute smallest gun you can to kill something. Id rather give up 10lbs of meat then see a deer run off in pain. If I ever get so crippled up the biggest gun I can shoot is a 223 I will quit hunting. Most guys base there opinion of calibers and bullets on a few deer. We shoot between 50 and a 100 every year and have for the last 12 years. After a few years of it you get a grasp on what works and what doesn't. Sometimes like I said you can be surprised. But im here to tell you that unless your hunting is under a 100 yards a 223 is NOT a deer rifle loaded with ANY bullet. In a pinch? yup. Survival situation? yup. But to buy one just to hunt deer with is silly and the only thing worse is buying one for your kid or grandkid because they don't kick. Same mentality to me as the wave of guys buying creedmores thinking there 800 yard deer rifles.

Bullets for deer. Ive shot them with about every caliber from the 22 hornet to a 458 mag. What works best is a 24-30 cal rifle using cup and core bullets. Bullets like nos bt's sierra pro hunters, speer core locks, Hornady interlocks or ssts. These bullets were manufactured with killing deer as the main goal. They ARE THE PREMIUM DEER BULLETS. You can spend 3 times as much buying some fancy bullet that some guns and ammo writer claims is the newest game changer but all your really accomplishing is spending more money. Now if you talking larger game then deer then maybe. But If you hit a deer with a cup and core bullet and you don't eat it the next day then I can guarantee you its your fault not the bullets.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Best bullet is called a 30-06 .....you can find them at Walmart! Leave your AR at home save it and your ammo for the Revolution.

·
22,363 Posts
ya you can find 308 and 6.5 creedmore ammo at about any store today too. Don't know where you live or hunt but around here in deer season a 100 yard shot is way longer then average. I do crop damage shooting in farm fields here and shot 5 deer this year with a 300bo and 110 grain barnes bullets (my exception to disliking barnes bullets) and id dare you to open up a deer shot with an 06 and one of those 5 and tell me which shot it. Even the couple at 200 yards. Don't get me wrong. I love the old 06. Its probably my favorite all time bolt action caliber but that said its needlessly over powered for a 150 lb whitetail. Ars in 308 family cartridges, 6.5 creed, 6.5 Grendel, 300 bo are viable deer hunting rifles. If you doubt what an ar can kill get yourself a 450 bush 458 socom or 50 beo and tell me an ar15 is lame. I would have to guess that if your comparing someone with an 06 that's buying ammo at Walmart to someone with a 6.5 creedmore that is shooting hundreds of rounds just to tune the best load from his gun that if deer could talk theyd be snickering at that 06 guy.

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts
We had a neighbor who hunted with an 223, he lost more deer than anyone I know. Not because it didn't kill them, because they didn't kill efficiently and non existent blood trail. Usually found them after the yotes cleaned them up...

·
Registered
600 Posts
We had a neighbor who hunted with an 223, he lost more deer than anyone I know. Not because it didn't kill them, because they didn't kill efficiently and non existent blood trail. Usually found them after the yotes cleaned them up...
Probably did not wait for a good shot, took lots of snap shots. That is the type "hunter" that keeps wounding and losing deer, no matter what cartridge/bullet they are using.

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts
Any idea what bullet he was using?
Yeah and I chewed his azz for it. 55 gr surplus ball... That is the problem with using an AR or 223, most are idiots who don't know anything about guns or ammo only that you can mag dump on a deer. Found 2 bucks on our property this year from a guy who was using an AR on adjacent public land. Several holes in one of them, nothing in vitals but they added up and killed it with no blood trail several hundred yards from shot. The other one was a very nice 10pt, found it several days after the fact, bloated with no visual hole but obviously there was one somewhere. Both deer were wasted for no reason other than a guy being a slob hunter.

There are hunting bullets that will work with a good shot in 223, but in my opinion it is not a responsible caliber to use on game animals the size of deer for most people.

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts
Probably did not wait for a good shot, took lots of snap shots. That is the type "hunter" that keeps wounding and losing deer, no matter what cartridge/bullet they are using.
I think most shot were off of deer drives. I disagree with the statement that he would have lost them no matter the cartridge. We did lots of deer drives in late season and had to track quite a few deer. I do not ever remember the party loosing a deer when hunting with slug gun or 30-30, which is about all that we use for drives. They generally do enough damage to leave a blood trail or significantly wound a deer in order to track effectively. 223 does neither.

61 - 71 of 71 Posts