Graybeard Outdoors banner

Of these five options, which is the best compact bolt-action rifle?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of buying a compact bolt-action rifle. I want something that's lightweight and relatively short, which is how I generally like my guns anyway. The contenders are: Winchester M70 Classic Compact, Ruger M77 MkII Compact, Remington Model 7, Savage 10FCM Sierra, and Howa M1500 Ultralight Mountain/Youth. Which should get the nod?

·
Administrator
26,055 Posts
Go with the original, the Remington Model 7. No one has improved upon it yet. Get the 7-08 for sure.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Bolt Action Rifles

aldersgater

In my opinion the mod seven is still the best thing since round wheels and blond women. Some of the mod 7s is still doing a great job. I have one of the first 222rem mod 7 that is absolutly honest to a falt........Joe......

·
Registered
400 Posts
My model 7 SS synthetic is a pure hunting rifle.

I would not consider a shorter barrel than my 20".
But I would like a even longer barrel (23") for less muzzle blast and for offhand shots. I think the slight increased weight on the muzzle would be worth it. I might also pick up a little velocity with no recoil addition. Then the gun would be closer to a 700 Mountain Rifle, but that's OK.

pepaw

·
Registered
399 Posts
I am on the wagon with these boys. My first model 7 that I owned, everyone in the family harvested whitetails with this little tack driver. I sold it at a weak moment(dumb butt). I purchased a another one in 243 last year. With some tweaked handloads I have fired some near one hole groups at 100 yards. I purchased the 300 saum in model 7. I like this rifle very much, as well as. I will have to say the 2 extra inches and 3/4 pound does make it handle different than my .243. I plan on keeping both of them.

·
Registered
641 Posts
In my opinion the mod seven is still the best thing since round wheels and blond women. Some of the mod 7s is still doing a great job. I have one of the first 222rem mod 7 that is absolutly honest to a falt........Joe......
SOME is the key word. I have one in .260 that can't shoot factory ammo worth a crap. I don't handload, so it doesn't come out all that often. Not a big deal, always going to have a few sour ones - I just had to be the guinea pig right? :-D My two hunting buddies all hunt with Mod. 7 .260's and have had great success. They are very light. The bolt isn't the smoothest thing in the world, but it works. I'll stick with my A-Bolts. :D

·
Registered
265 Posts
i have a savage sierra in 308 that shoots like crazy! i asked my smith today to make me a switch barrel in 250/3000. i can't wait!!
GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!!!!!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Remington Model 7. It's short, light, easy to handle and accurate. That pretty much covers everything for me. MI VHNTR

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow. Lots of Model 7 fans out there. Maybe that'll be the way to go. I'm thinking the Ruger Compact is out for me. Compared to the others, with it's 16.5-inch barrel and shortened stock, the Ruger may be just a little TOO compact. Maybe the Ruger Ultralight is more what I'm looking for. Of the lot, I think I like the Winchester best, but it's staggeringly expensive compared to the other options. I can't figure why. The Savage and Howa have the best price points, but I've been unable to handle and examine any firsthand. I'd appreciate more feedback on these two in particular (thanks already to the jigger for reporting on his Sierra). Thanks.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have a model 7 in 7mm-08 with the short barrel and a 7600 that I had the barrel cut to 17.5 inches and have 3 mtn rifles. If you can take a look at the Mtn rifel, I like them a WHOLE BUNCH better than the mod. 7, and my next 1 will be in a .260, my daughter has 1 in a 7600 and it is just great for what we hunt in PA. You might consider a Stevens 200 in a .243 and have the barrel trimmed down. You are right about that Winchester why they cost 7 fortunes I have no idea. Let us know what you get.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Well I just happen to think the Ruger is the best lookin' rifle made in the good ol' US of A. :D

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
For me it's not even a close call - Remington M7 in stainless with a synthetic stock in 7mm-08 - the ultimate whitetail deer cartridge out to about 250 yards - where 95% of all shots on whitetails are taken.

Zachary[/color]

·
Registered
688 Posts
I've had a Model 7FS since 1989 in 7mm-08.
It's taken many deer using the Rem. 120gr. HP.
Right now it has on it a Leupold 2.5X8X36. But for years it had a Leupold 6X fixed power. It shoots MOA with Speer 130gr. SPBT and the Rem 120gr. load.
I've also got a Ruger Compact in 7mm-08 that was my late fathers.
It would not shoot any factory load worth a hoot. Spent over $100.00 on the factory stuff to no avail. Then started reloading for it using the Sierra 120gr. SP and IMR-4064. It now shoots MOA using that load.
They both are great rifles, The Ruger has the edge in the trigger area, right from the factory.
But overall the Remington gets my vote for best in accuracy for factory and handloads.

Dennis :D

·
Registered
688 Posts
Coalminer7;

I used H-414 with a mag primer for years, very good results. But latley I've been using IMR-4064 with standard primers and getting MOA accuracy as well. Both powders work great for me, using the Speer 130gr. bullet.
Hope this helps. :wink:

Dennis :D

·
Registered
319 Posts
I have a Browning Micro-medallion in .308Win. It weighs in at 6.0lbs., and has a short, thin 20" barrel. It kicks like a mule. I was shocked that a .308 could recoil like that. It was a pretty rascal, but the front end now looks like I used it for fungo practice from jumping out of the front rest at the range so often. I put a Pachmyer Decelerator pad on it, and that tamed it enough for me to shoot fairly decent groups with it, about 1" (5 at 100yds.). I think a lot of shooters are shocked when they buy these lightweight rifles to find they can be brutes. Mind you it's not bad in the field. We don't usually feel the recoil when shooting at an animal anyway, but oh it's a beast at the range. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

·
Registered
10,334 Posts
huntingguy, I have a rem.#7 in 260. Mine really settled down to less than MOA groups after I freefloated the barrel and went to 140gr rem core-locks. maybe this would help yours. Regards, Byron

·
Registered
91 Posts
Without a doubt,... the Remington Model 7

1 - 20 of 30 Posts