1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which Handi caliber for deer?? Why??
Only from these choices, PLEASE.
30-30
44 Mag
45LC
357 Mag

Hunting done in thick to moderate cover with some open grassy areas. Shots of 100yds or less.

cookiemann

·
Registered
6,258 Posts
30-30 Dale

·
Premium Member
5,343 Posts
For the type of hunting you describe I don't think you would go wrong with any of those calibers.

·
Super Moderator
51,245 Posts
30-30 for that rare open grassy areas that might possibly exceed the 100yd limit by quite a bit. ;).

Tim

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The thing is, Andy, a 100yd shot means a 100yd drag. ;D
Dale, you forgot WHY?
C'mon Brett, lets hear it, I know you got a preference. ;D

·
Registered
6,258 Posts
I say the 30-30 because better to be over gunned than under gunned. In these conditions to me this is a no brainer. Dale

·
Premium Member
4,632 Posts
Any one of those will work. Shoot the one you have the most confidence in. If you do not have any of them and need to choose then go with the 30-30 because it will do the job out to 200 yards if needed and is usually accurate in a Handi rifle. It also has plenty of power. I think the 30-30 kicks less than either the 45 Long Colt or the 44 Magnum with full house loads and it has much better "knock down" power than a 357. If you have all of them to choose from pick the one you shoot best. There is nothing that beats a well placed and constructed bullet.

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
It's a no brainer. 30-30 Its record as a great deer cartridge speaks for its self. Especially
at the range and conditions you are talking about. Put a Remington Corelock through
the boiler room of a deer with that 30-30 and he is finished.

Robert

·
Registered
749 Posts
30-30 unless yo got a 280Rem or a 35Whelen hanging around. (that should stir the pot) I use a 30-30 or a muzzle loader 85% of the time.

·
Premium Member
1,636 Posts
30-30 would be my first choice, or maybe my 357, in all seriousness which ever one you can shoot best. Doug

·
Registered
66 Posts
All of the callibers you listed are killers at that distance with well placed shots. I for one vote for the 44 or 45 as I like big boolits. I would pick the rifle caliber combo that your going to have the most fun with in the other season. I trust you have the same seasons were you live as we have here in northern Alberta #1 Hunting Season #2 Waiting for Hunting Season.

Roscoe

·
Registered
6,878 Posts
Cookiemann said:
Which Handi caliber for deer?? Why??
Only from these choices, PLEASE.
30-30
44 Mag
45LC
357 Mag

Hunting done in thick to moderate cover with some open grassy areas. Shots of 100yds or less.

cookiemann
None of the above... :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I honestly would take a 45-70 over any of them with this type of terrain & distance...

Mac

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
Another vote for the efficient 30-30, which stands alone as the all time deer getter, out to 200 yards.

Just from your description, you could possibly be looking at a 150 to 175 yard or longer shot, and the 30-30 would be a comfort to have if the shot presented itself!

·
Banned
766 Posts
Now while im not against the old time tested 30-30 by any means i myself would go with the 44 mag... i have owned a Ruger deerfield in that chambering and loved it , took a few nice animals with it , and maybe in the single shot platform the recoil is different ... but i wouldnt think it to be more recoil then the 44 in a rifle setup .The 30-30 that is.. anyways just my opinion ;)
BTW i own one of the 357 handis .... and if a shooter that is a little more timid to recoil might shoot your choice i can with all certainty say that the 357 is absolute pleasure to shoot ..but as the boys said those are all good caliber choices ..Good luck with your desicion

·
Registered
273 Posts
I agree with PartsMan. The bullet performance of the 170 grain flat point in a 30-30 is impressive at the distances you describe and can reach out further if needed.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts