Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There seem to be quite a number of these tools out there now; Leatherman, Buck , SOG , Schrade,Gerber ... What are the strongest?

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I have a couple of them, A Gerber and a Schrade. The Schrade is stonger but the Gerber is more compact and a lot handier. At least for me. I carry the Gerber all day and never notice its hanging there. I've had it for over a year and it's still good as new. KN

·
Registered
17 Posts
Gerber fan here also, goes everywhere with me...and a few "cheapie" pairs tossed in the tackle box, tool-box, and here and there.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Well I have had the SOG and leatherman...

The SOG is definately better, the handles dont dig into your palms when you are using the pliers, plus I like the knife blades better on the SOG.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Gerber

I have the Gerber, and love it. My original broke with very heavy use so I sent it in and they replaced it and said they were sorry for it breaking. A top notch company.

·
Premium Member
4,856 Posts
leatherman was the first and is the best. when i was a paratrooper we used them for EVERYTHING! this included opening our meals, to modifing our harnesses, to rigging explosives. since then they have introduced new models with more tools and some have a locking mechanism. but i havent had the heart to buy a new one; cause the old one is still on my side and is the handiest tool i have ever had. i will add that, any multi-purpose tool you have (be it gerber, schrade, leatherman,etc) is better than not having one. :agree:

·
Registered
381 Posts
I have a Leatherman folder, a Gerber folder, and a Gerber slide out. My favorite is the Gerber slide out because you can open it and get it into action with one hand.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I like my Gerber. I needed one that locks and I can just flick it and the pliers slide open. The blade holds a good edge. A couple of of the smaller tools are hard to open but all in all it's good.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Gerber slide for me. I don't know if it is the strongest, but I do think that it is the handiest
cheers,
willis5

·
Registered
651 Posts
I'll vote for the Leatherman,bought mine in the mid 80s when they first came out.I still have that set,hard use and everything is just perfect.Had to replace the leather sheeth a couple years ago,only 5 bucks from leatherman for replacement.SGB :D

·
Registered
134 Posts
:music: My brother gave me a Gerber for a present years ago. I put it away and never used it. Since reading here, I am going to get it out and use it. Should be quite handy. :money:

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Yea, the Gerber slide out. Mine is just starting to loosen to the point where it's a one hand operation.

·
Registered
324 Posts
im a leatherman user

i got the newer one now "wave".

i had a gerber and broke the pliers putting tire chains on last fall.. sent it in, got it back fixed...customer service was good on that but it did take 8 weeks. had it back a week and accidently dropped it in the hole while ice fishing.....the thing was jinxed.

bought the new leatherman. all features lock. it opens more stiffly than the gerber.....but i did have problems pinching myself in the handle with the gerber that i dont have with the leatherman. i like the leatherman better than the gerber at this point.

i am a fool with a multi-tool. and all my family mambers pick on me about it...lol

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have had 2 different models of the BUCK. We got them for working so many days safely. I love them both!

Tbull

1 - 15 of 15 Posts