Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at muzzle loaders for deer season. What is the best one under $250? I saw the Remington Genesis, is this any good. any help? just post or message me.

·
Registered
311 Posts
You can get good deals on Knight Wolverines. Lots of them around,and real reasonable. I haven't seen one yet that isn't a good shooter either. Also most except the American (I think) have excellent adjustable triggers.

·
Registered
311 Posts
The NEF Sidekick's are well within your price range.
Very pleased with the stainless model that I purchased last year.
No real issues using the primer carriers, however the breach plug is a bit clumsy.
(As a potential down-the-road option, a 25 ACP conversion eliminates both the need for primer carriers and the factory breech plug.)

Cabela's:
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/horizontal-pod.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/pod-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20712-cat20815&rid=&indexId=cat20815&navAction=push&masterpathid=&navCount=1&parentType=index&parentId=cat20815&id=0027233

R&R Arms:
http://rrarms.com/catalog.php?prod=SPS056

You can find a great deal of information regarding these in the GBO Huntsman & Sidekick Muzzleloader Forum:
http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php/board,134.0.html

Good luck

·
Premium Member
16,821 Posts
Knight Wolverine is $199.00 at BassPro. You can't beat them for twice that.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have 2 T/C Black Diamonds, one of them is the longer XR version and love them both. My son in law wanted to get into muzzleloading, so I bought him a Black Diamond also. They are great guns, but T/C doesn't catalog them anymore. Look for them on the auction sites, you'll find them at good prices.

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
Less than 40 dollars more will get you the Knight Rolling Block. Which is excellent. I will second near any thing Knight and the NEF and would like to add the omega. I PERSONALLY would avoid anything CVA unless you can find a good hawkins. I will leave it at that less I upset the head of the CVA Ghestpo and get told once again I am not allowed to have a personal opinion on a company.

Knight, NEF, T/C and you can't go wrong.

·
Premium Member
16,821 Posts
Where can you buy a KRB for $240.00 with all the accessories? I'll take one.

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
Swampman said:
Where can you buy a KRB for $240.00 with all the accessories? I'll take one.

He asked for the best under 250 less than 40 more would make it 290 not 240. That being said I paid 226 for my blued/composite, but I live within minutes of a cabelas and got a instore special.

·
Premium Member
16,821 Posts
I would like to examine a blued/wood stocked KRB. The actions are ugly as sin, but I really like blued metal and walnut.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hello out there. Newbie here. I have a Knight MK 93. It is a real tack driver, if you can get ahold of one they are super accurate. I am waiting for the new KP1's to hit the stores.

·
Premium Member
3,161 Posts
I have a 209x50 barrel on my encore. I got the barrel for a good deal, but if I had to do it all over again I'd have just gotten a regular muzzleloader for the same price. It's not a bad setup by any means for accuracy, but it's a real pain to clean even with the e-ztip extractor. I remember the TC Omega used to be the gun everyone wanted and I see them on Cabelas for $250 new for a blued one. If I had to do it all over again I'd have bought an Omega. Sounds to me like a lot of guys are having good luck with the knights.

·
Premium Member
10,747 Posts
teddy12b said:
I have a 209x50 barrel on my encore. I got the barrel for a good deal, but if I had to do it all over again I'd have just gotten a regular muzzleloader for the same price. It's not a bad setup by any means for accuracy, but it's a real pain to clean even with the e-ztip extractor. I remember the TC Omega used to be the gun everyone wanted and I see them on Cabelas for $250 new for a blued one. If I had to do it all over again I'd have bought an Omega. Sounds to me like a lot of guys are having good luck with the knights.
If you think the Encore is hard to clean, I don't think you want to clean some of the other muzzleloaders. The Omega is no easier to clean than a Encore.

·
Premium Member
3,161 Posts
I was under the impression that the Omega didn't have breech plug and that you could just hit the trigger guard and swab out the barrel. The encore it's a little bit of a pain in the rear, but I think that's just a part of muzzleloading. It's the price I'm willing to pay to get another week of hunting in. Is there a new style muzzleloader that is easier to clean?

·
Registered
311 Posts
If you think a Encore is a PITA to clean,you aren't going to be very happy with another brand. The Omega also has a breech plug. Ron

·
Premium Member
10,747 Posts
teddy12b said:
I was under the impression that the Omega didn't have breech plug and that you could just hit the trigger guard and swab out the barrel. The encore it's a little bit of a pain in the rear, but I think that's just a part of muzzleloading. It's the price I'm willing to pay to get another week of hunting in. Is there a new style muzzleloader that is easier to clean?
I find the Encore as one of the easiest muzzleloader's to clean. The only other muzzleloader that would be easier is the smokeless Savage, it does not have t be cleaned after shooting right away. But cleaning a muzzleloader is part of the game. The omega breech plug is the exact same as the Encore.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Redhawk1 said:
teddy12b said:
I find the Encore as one of the easiest muzzleloader's to clean. The only other muzzleloader that would be easier is the smokeless Savage, it does not have t be cleaned after shooting right away. But cleaning a muzzleloader is part of the game. The omega breech plug is the exact same as the Encore.
I agree 100% It doesn't get much easier to clean than an Encore or an Omega. On the Encore just remove the extractor and leave it out (you don't need it) and you can remove the breechplug clean the plug and barrel without taking the barrel off the frame. (Quick cleaning). For a thorough cleaning take the gun down and thats not a big deal either. One thing I have that T/C doesn't market anymore is a breech thread protector, remove the plug and thread this in its place then go to town no worries of cleaning tools buggering up the threads or loading them with fouling. I'd sure like to find a spare or two.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ended up just spending the extra money and getting the CVA Optima Pro. I like it, even though it's looks aren't its strong points. I haven't gotten to the range yet, but it is EXTREMELY easy to clean, take out the breach plug, and swab away. thanks for the advice though.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts