Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to scope a 270. I can't afford more than about $400. What is the scope that is going to give me the most bang for my buck? Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I would recommend either the Nikon Monarch or the Bushnell Elite 4200. Both of these scopes fall into your price range and both are outstanding scopes for the money.

·
Premium Member
10,748 Posts
Get a Leupold and you won't be disappointed. In the future if you decided to sell it, you would get a better price than most other scopes. Leupold holds it value better where I live. Also Leupold is for life. :D

·
Registered
29 Posts
i have a sii series sightron 3x12x50 for sale,they are back with lifetime garuanted,no questions asked,scope was $340.00 new will take $225.00...
[email protected]

nice scope,is equal to leupold vii series,iv compared and seen no diff.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Look around some online and you will find a Zeiss Conquest 3x9-40 in your range. You won't be sorry...better than any Leup VXIII.

·
Premium Member
10,748 Posts
Grubbs said:
Look around some online and you will find a Zeiss Conquest 3x9-40 in your range. You won't be sorry...better than any Leup VXIII.
OK :roll:

·
Registered
322 Posts
Redhawk, I know you are a died in the wool Leupold guy and that's great. I happen to have a new VXIII as well as a Pentax Lightseeker, Burris Signature, Monarch, Conquest, and a Swaro A-line now among others. The VXIII is a fine scope, although not my personal preference. I have never had to use anyone's warranty (which is the biggest selling point Leup has nowadays), but optically it does not measure up to the Pentax, Conquest, and not even in same league as the Swaro. the VXIII is a good scope, just overpriced in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
For myself, I can place a value of approx. $100. on that Leupold warranty alone. Look around at all the other crap we buy, appliances, lawnmowers, ect. No one stands behind their product for very long, but for alot of extra bucks they will be glad to sell you an extended service contract.
As far as scopes go, maybe Leupold is sneaking the same sort of thing into their prices, or maybe they just know they are making a more reliable product. When the other scope makers back their scopes with a lifetime warranty, I will look into the so called "superior optics."
I spent alot of years raising three boys on one salary, so I bought alot of cheaper scopes and used them until they died, and then threw them away, because I could not justify spending the bucks on a Leupold when the little bast...I mean Angels, needed things like diapers, or new sneakers. It was a big mistake, they call it false economy, and I learned my lesson well. Right now, for me, the peace of mind of knowing I will die before my scope does is worth the extra bucks I pay for it.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
IMHO the most bang for the buck is a Nikon Monarch. I won't claim them to be the best you can get in your price range but for the price vs quality they are hard to beat.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
I'd say buy a new Leupold VX-II or a used VX-III. Ramrod and Redhawk1 already told you why........my second choice would be a Bushnell 4200 then a 3200.........

·
Registered
322 Posts
Ramrod, there are several other scopes w/lifetime warranties just like Leupold. Shouldn't their warranty "costs" be built into their scopes just like Leupold?

·
Super Moderator
50,981 Posts
Leupold, Swift, Sightron, Nikon and Burris all have the same lifetime warranties, for the most part, everyone else warrants for the original owner only. Mueller warrants for life IF the owner keeps the original receipt.

Tim

·
Registered
188 Posts
Best?

Tikkahunter,

Incidentally, I like the handle.

As you can see, your "best" scope question started the eternal
debate between the Leupold fans, and fans of better values in
rifle optics. I need to know your definition of "best". First,
what are you using the .270 Win, for. For hunting, what would
the game species be, or conditions you plan to hunt in, or
for target shooting, is it 100 yards or 1000 yards, and is it off
a bench, or in some off hand position. These details will
help with providing better recommendations. Also, how
important are things like changing reticules, or having bullet
proof warranties, or resale value.

So for the sake of time, let's assume you are hunting deer
with this .270 Win, and you are hunting open country, in
box blinds. In this situation, you will probably have time
to adjust objectives, and will need optics for longer ranges.
In this case I'd recommend a 4-12x to 4-16x scope, and
would probably suggest looking at a Bushnell 4200, or a
Nikon Monarch. Why? First, the Bushnell has "rainguard",
and in almost all hunting situations, where rain is a factor,
this feature is sweet. Both scopes are very clear and bright,
and will easily hold up to this chamber, and these hunting
conditions. The Nikon has a little better name recognition,
so if you think you might sell this scope in the future, then
it may be a better choice. Optically they are extremely close,
and both are excellent quality for the price point.

About the only time I recommend a Leupold, is where longer
eye relief is required for heavy recoiling rifles. It is the only
feature of Leupold, that has me spend the extra cash for one.
They are only average scopes optically, for their price range,
but eye relief, after market reticle changes, durability, and
customer service are all features that may swing a buying
decision in favor of spending more for a Leupold...Oh yah,
there is name recognition, too :) Some people just have to
see that gold ring on their scopes. I have some on my rifles,
and about the only thing I like about them, is when I pull the
trigger on a magnum rifle, the scope has enough eye relief to
not put a ring around my eye socket :-D But I do respect
rabid Leupold owners opinions, I just prefer to buy the best
value, and often these days, the price of that gold ring is too
high.

So, if you would provide a few more details around what
you are going to use that .270 Win. for, maybe we can provide
better recommendations for a $300 to $400 scope for that
rifle.

Squeeze

·
Registered
322 Posts
Zeiss Conquest = more eye relief, same warranty, and better optics than Leup VX III all at the same price range. I have 2 of them (as well as the VXIII and several others I mentioned in my previous post) and they are better all around scopes than my VXIII. I know this is a hard pill for you die-hard Leup fans to swallow but that's my experience. If you can spend the extra cash get a Swaro A-Line 3-10x42......absolutley fantastic scope all the way around. I know I can still shoot varmints, etc way after my Leup buddies have put their guns up.

·
Registered
400 Posts
My 3200 Elite is clear and will never be a problem during legal hunting hours at normal hunting ranges. It cost less than $200 and came with a super travel bag. I say spend the savings money on binocs. $400 will put you well on the way to those Pentax everyone is raving about (unless you already have them!)

pepaw

·
Registered
322 Posts
Pepaw, I agree with you. I don't have personal experience with the 3200 but I hear great things about them as well. I also agree with your theory on the binos. I do have Leica 10x42's and I think they are the single best hunting purchase I have ever made. I also bought my nephew some Pentax 10x42 SP's (may be 10x43...I don't remember) and they are very, very impressive. If I didn't already have the Leica's I would be hard pressed not to buy myself some SP's

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
I will probably burn in H&!! here for even mentioning this, but I have a Simmons Whitetail Expedition 4-12x42 on my 30-06 H&R UltraComp and love it. Paid about $100 for it and looks as good or better than my buddys Leupold VX2. Although I do love a Leupold don't get me wrong. Sometimes you don't need to spend a ton of cash for a great scope.
My cheap 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
myarmor, the only thing that's important is you're happy with your scope. If someone else is happy with another brand good for them.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts