Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still working on an old 93 Mauser, I'm on my seventh stock. Picked up an original with a few cracks, mainly inside the back of the action area. They're thin "hairline" sized cracks. What's the best filler?? I do not think they're wide enough to glue, I'm thinking putty or Minwax filler (may match wood) or what about acraglass, bondo, etc?

VVLLBS

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
If you're going to leave the original finish, there might not be much you can do aside from forcing some colored wax in there. Just about anything else would likely have to be sanded smooth after it dried.

If structural integrity was the main goal, I might try superglue in a syringe a little bit at a time. Wiping any excess off with a damp sponge before it dries.

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
acraglass would be the best.
regardless of what you use, the stock
will have to be thoroughly degreased
if the repair is to have any chance for success.
good luck

·
Registered
9,714 Posts
Here's a video from Midway USA on repairing cracks in a stock.

http://www.midwayusa.com/General.mvc/Index/VideoLibrary

In this one he used Gorilla glue, but each gunsmith tends to have their favorite - some like superglue, some acraglas, some like other glues. A lot depends on the type of crack and whether it's wide open or just a hairline. One retired gunsmith said he usually used superglue for hairline cracks and acraglas for bigger cracks. Sometimes it's better to pin bigger cracks with metal pins or wooden dowels, with most hairline cracks it's not necessary.

You can also look on Youtube and see there are many different ways of doing it.

·
Premium Member
5,238 Posts
NEVER use gorilla glue.... it expands and usually forces the crack open. To really fix those cracks drill a small hole under the and into then from below. Thinned epoxy can then be dripped in and a dowel of the correct size used to force it into the crack. I prefer Devcon slow setting.. The cause of the cracking must be addressed. Usually its setback of the locking lug. Mauser rifles need a thin clearance cut behind the tang. The setback is corrected with an appropriate glass bedding job.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts