Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to ask a question of the expertise in this forum. I have been looking at the BFR Revolvers by Magnum Research. Does anyone have any experience with these guns? They look like they are very well made. For revolvers that are completely machined, at $999 each, they seem to be priced pretty fair. Tolerances in the literature don't seem to be that different from the Freedom arms guns and the other custom remakes.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Dave Brown

·
22,369 Posts
youve hit a sore spot with me. A couple years ago I bought a MR bfr in .480 that I was going to have John Linebaugh rechamber to .475 that was before the .475 was available. John reluctantly agreed to do it. I shoud have known when he was reluctant. But figured it was a cheap way to get a .475. I got the gun and I was real dissapointed. First it was huge! way bigger then a ruger. The grip frame fit was terrible. There so called trigger job had more creap in it then a factory ruger! They advertised it as a 6 1/2 in gun but come to find out they measure from the end of the frame instead of the forcing cone like every other manufacture in the world :x The sights were cheesy. They put a stainless front blade on it that you couldnt see in the daytime. The catalog showed a red insert front. and when I called them I got nothing but a runnaround and finally they told me that they have the right to change any specs any time without telling the customer. I got nothing but snoty replys from there service dept. right from the start. The base pin just had a locking screw to hold it in no cross pin. The grip frame connects with two allen headed screws no ears like a ruger. The grips were crap but I new that when I bought it. That thing would have been a bear to shoot in .475 with them big rubber grips. Overall I didnt think the fit and finnish were as good as my rugers and I could have bought 2 and 1/2 of them for the price I payed for this gun. I shot 5 shots out of it and just didnt like it I ended up selling it at a big loss and taking the money and putting it down on a real .475 from John. Its the best money I ever lost! This gun sat at the local gunshop for over a year before some unlucky sob bought it. The gun shop owner told me that everyone that looked at it comented that it was just to big. Save a little more money and buy a field grade FA gun youll be alot happier! Just my opinion. Alot of guys like them my buddy has a .410 bfr and the frame is smaller and the fit and finnish are much better. Ive been told that the older guns were put together better. I think what happened is they started selling a bunch and just started taking shortcuts.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The only experience with BFR was 2 years ago, I have ordered a BFE Long Maxine in .444 marlin. Because I liked this model, despites the delivery time never respected, the gun has come at my gun's dealer in Belgium. When I have seen this "crappy" gun, not at all great in finition, grip looked very cheap, action was rude,... I have asked to my gun's dealer to give me back all my money. This gun will return to Magnum Research. It was one of the first BFR made.

Now BFR are a little bit better in quality (but it was hard to made a worst gun).

My advices : buy a Ruger and tune it custom at a famouns gunsmith Bowen,Clements,...

By a FA field grade, best gun ever made for the price. You can go wrong with any FA.

IMHO, the best handgun made by Magnum research is the semi auto Desert Eagle but not the BFR. :shock:

Please don't compare anymore the BFR with FA or custom built guns. :eek: You will better served with a Gary Reeder's gun than a BFR for similar costs.
Geary reeder is not the top but great indeed.

·
Registered
561 Posts
They attempted to make it look like a FA. That is as far as any comparison goes. You will be much better off investing in a FA than throwing good money after bad on a BFR.

·
Registered
39 Posts
MS Hitman said:
They attempted to make it look like a FA. That is as far as any comparison goes. You will be much better off investing in a FA than throwing good money after bad on a BFR.
AMEN!!!

·
Registered
134 Posts
There was an article in one of the gunzines a while back about the BFR's and in it the author claimed that the BFR frames are made by Ruger under contract just like the #5's were a few years ago. I wondered about the fact that the BFR's looked so much like Ruger's so it all made sense when the article came out.

·
22,369 Posts
Ruger doesnt make there own stainless bisley grip frames they get them from a vendor bfr probably uses the same vendor.
45LC-Man said:
There was an article in one of the gunzines a while back about the BFR's and in it the author claimed that the BFR frames are made by Ruger under contract just like the #5's were a few years ago. I wondered about the fact that the BFR's looked so much like Ruger's so it all made sense when the article came out.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I wasn't referring to the grip frame. I was referring to the main frame. Plus I may be wrong but I don't believe that the BFR uses a Bisley grip frame. Why would Ruger contract out just the Bisley grip frame and manufacture their own standard grip frames when they are the pioneers of investment casting? I'd like to see some proof of that statement.

·
Registered
39 Posts
45LC-Man said:
I confirm you that BFR's frame are buy to Ruger.

But you need to know that frames bought by BFR. Have no idea which metal has been used for building the BFR's frames.

I have linked a very interresting article about how Ruger made its SRH .454 Casull. You will see that : The company then asked Humberto Raposo, a regional metallurgist from Carpenter Technology Corp., for assistance in selecting materials.

http://www.manufacturingcenter.com/tooling/archives/0601/0601hic.asp

I haven't the clue may be Carpenter made smth for BFR uder the Ruger name?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Casting Vendor Comments-

Ruger has been a leader in developing the latest hitech methods in casting.
Their own company that contracts with many gunmakers (Freedom Arms-BFR-Caspian-etc) is named Pine Tree, they're online.

·
22,369 Posts
sorry I wasnt reading your post close enough. I was told by eagle grips that they have a problem fitting grips to stainless bisleys because ruger gets the grip frames from a couple of different vendors. I know that there is a bigger variation in grip frames with the stainless bisleys then there are with the blued ones and that when you order grips from any manufacturer they always list seperate grips for stainless and blued guns. As a matter of fact I ordered a set of grips from ajax for my stainless guna and the pin holes were even different. I had to exchange them for the ones for a stainless gun. If they were all made by ruger using ivestment casting they sure wouldnt be different. Im no expert on metal work but is ivestment casting possible with stainless steel?
45LC-Man said:
I wasn't referring to the grip frame. I was referring to the main frame. Plus I may be wrong but I don't believe that the BFR uses a Bisley grip frame. Why would Ruger contract out just the Bisley grip frame and manufacture their own standard grip frames when they are the pioneers of investment casting? I'd like to see some proof of that statement.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Lloyds Question-

Is investment casting even possible with stainless?
See my post above! Caspian has even had Ruger/Pine Cone Castings makeup
titanium castings for 1911 recievers/frames.
Since you're sorta buddies with Mr Linebaugh can you find out bout the ultra-rare aluminium Bisley Ruger gripframes he had made up?
Thanks

·
22,369 Posts
Re: Lloyds Question-

PM sent
Henry Bowman said:
Is investment casting even possible with stainless?
See my post above! Caspian has even had Ruger/Pine Cone Castings makeup
titanium castings for 1911 recievers/frames.
Since you're sorta buddies with Mr Linebaugh can you find out bout the ultra-rare aluminium Bisley Ruger gripframes he had made up?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Investment castings

Yes, investment casting is possible with stainless steel alloys.

Ruger has made a fine art of it. ALL of their carbon steel and stainless steel gun receivers are investment cast, as are almost all of the major components except barrels and cylinders.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Lloyd? PM?

The email PM notification came but when I key the PM addy I get the GB board and a General Error message and can't access any PMs??
Re- the alloy Bisleys??
I've seen exactly one picture of a light weight .45 Colt with LW Bisley from HHI-812 Dennis, you probably know him?
Thanks for the "mysterious" note/PM!

·
22,369 Posts
Re: Lloyd? PM?

send me an email at [email protected] make a reference to graybeards forum or I may delete it.
Henry Bowman said:
The email PM notification came but when I key the PM addy I get the GB board and a General Error message and can't access any PMs??
Re- the alloy Bisleys??
I've seen exactly one picture of a light weight .45 Colt with LW Bisley from HHI-812 Dennis, you probably know him?
Thanks for the "mysterious" note/PM!

·
Registered
159 Posts
BFR

I just got back from the gun shop. I held a BFR for the first time. This pistol seems very well made. Fit and finish was great. AS far as the sights? the were in black and very well done.
I was made to understand that BFR was a small shop that built pistols out of his Garage, but was sold to Magnum research.
I liked the gun Very well made.
The one I looked at was in 45-70
Tom

·
Registered
15 Posts
BFR

I have owned the the BFR in

45-70
45LC P+

And I have found these guns to be of a superior build and hold up well to the hottest loads recommended by the manufacturer.

I don't know what the people on this forum have against MRI BFR but there definitely seems to be a uninformed bias against this particular line of gun.

Get one...and make your own mind up...you will not regret it.

:x

·
22,369 Posts
Re: BFR

been there done that :cry: :)
SkyDancer said:
I have owned the the BFR in

45-70
45LC P+

And I have found these guns to be of a superior build and hold up well to the hottest loads recommended by the manufacturer.

I don't know what the people on this forum have against MRI BFR but there definitely seems to be a uninformed bias against this particular line of gun.

Get one...and make your own mind up...you will not regret it.

:x

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a BFR in 444 Marlin, 10" bbl. It may not have the craftmanship of my FA 454,[what gun does?] but it is as good as my Ruger SBH, and much more fun to shoot. My next single action will be another BFR!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts