Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being a lefty I've been rounding out my own personal battery with ambidextrous rifles lately, selling off other guns to finance my southpaw cravings. Right now I have a .45-70 Winchester 1886 lever gun and a .30-06 Remington Model 760 pump.

I'm considering the .375 Ruger Guide Gun in left-handed bolt, not that there's anything living in the California Sierra Nevada woods and mountains I hunt that needs such firepower, but so what. On the other hand, I just saw online the .308 Ruger Gunsite Scout in .308 lefty bolt and it looked interesting. I am selling my old right-hand bolt .308 Remington 788 carbine to help fund this upcoming purchase but would like some advice on what you all think of the Guide Gun vs. the Gunsite Scout. I reload already so I hope to be able to afford to shoot the .375R.

The only other gun that tickles my fancy right now is the (right-handed) wood stocked Gunsite Scout Rifle in .450 Bushmaster but I haven't a clue about the cartridge and how it would serve as a deer/elk/bear gun. What do you all think?

·
Registered
5,318 Posts
The bushmaster cartridges are designed to bring 45/70 power to an AR-15. Is that what you need? In this case it's a straight wall round into a rifle to meet hunting regulations in eastern states like Michigan Ohio and Indiana.

Unless I'm mistaken the guide gun vs scout is mainly detachable box magazine in the scout. Plus you get the flash hider and other tactical leanings. I feel like they took a hunting rifle and butched it up for the tactical crowd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I own neither, but I'm inclined to favor the Scout for the short action, sights & detachable box mag, all which I prefer. If your looking for light weight, compact and accurate rifle - well, the scout is all that and then some. With the composite stock and aftermarket polymer mags, I think you can get the unloaded weight down to a hair under 6 pounds. I don't think you could go wrong with either one.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/brand-new-rifle-ruger/

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did a little research on the Bushmaster round. Interesting idea but I don't think it's as versatile as the ol' .308 in a Gunsite Scout rifle. Thanks for the comments. While I really like the Guide Gun it's availability in left-handed configurations is limited to hard-hitting rounds like the .375 Ruger and .300 WM. I especially like the .375R and hope that it does well, but would have reservations about--not about it's effectiveness--but it's future availability and/or affordability. However, in this cartridge I think the gun would nicely compliment my ambidextrous-actioned pump .30-06 and lever .45-70 and with the right hand loaded bullet in a left-handed bolt, with a low-powered variable scope, could nicely overlap every hunting situation either of the other rounds I have would need to address.

On the other hand, if I got the .308 GSR in left-hand I would probably get rid of the scout rail and rear sight and mount a nice scope in the traditional manner; also revert to a 3 or 5 round magazine. But if I do all this I guess what I would have would be less "scout-like" and more traditional carbine (which I still like). I do appreciate the butt spacers, as most factory rifles come with an LOP a bit long for me, as well as the polymer mags to shed ounces.

·
Premium Member
9,714 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, thanks for that info doublebass73, just when I'd made up my mind that the 450 Bushmaster was a little less useful as an all-around hunting choice than a .308! I will look into that listing. BTW, does anyone have hunting experience with the 450B they'd like to share?

·
Registered
84 Posts
IMG_3215.jpg here a left hand 450. Have only killed a wood chuck with it but I have killed enough critters with a 454 casull carbine to know that the 450 will kill most anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54 Posts
The .375 Ruger can be downloaded with cast lead bullets at 1,800 fps for a wide range of shooting applications. Lower cost and less recoil. With good lube up to about 2,400-2,500 fps.

I was in on a group buy of a mold that is 260gr. flat nose gas check, with 3 different types of hollow point inserts. I buy.375 jacketed bullets in partial boxes from classifieds until I find the ones I/rifle like.

My rifle is one of the first ones that has blackened SS metal. If you roll your upper body with the recoil it is fun to shoot (standing). The new ones with the brake options could be very enjoyable to shoot. It is a novelty that can be versatile. .308 would be the more common choice, but it seems you have that caliber covered.

Used .375 Ruger rifles do not sell very fast. I think that cash/trade would be in the buyer"s favor on a used one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts