Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
In California, a pretty anti-gun state, I can get 50 pounds in one shipment. Last year getting ready for Gettysburg we ordered up 75 pounds, had to get it as 50 pounds shipped one day, and 25 shipped the next.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
subdjoe said:
In California, a pretty anti-gun state, I can get 50 pounds in one shipment. Last year getting ready for Gettysburg we ordered up 75 pounds, had to get it as 50 pounds shipped one day, and 25 shipped the next.

Or ship to two address's....
[/color]

·
Registered
73 Posts
1Southpaw said:
Ordered 25 lbs Goex FG . $13.10 a lb to the door . Going to be ready for the CCC this year :>)
Best price I have found right now is from Jack's Powder Keg, it is running $12.60/lb. for GOEX 1Fg delivered to your door. Reenactor quality powder runs $10.20 delivered.

UPS or FED-EX can deliver up to 50 lbs., however, you still need to check with your state, county, local city ordinance. In most of California the most you can have without a license & approved powder magazine is 10 lbs.

Anthony Variz

·
Super Moderator
16,999 Posts
artillerybuff said:
1Southpaw said:
Ordered 25 lbs Goex FG . $13.10 a lb to the door . Going to be ready for the CCC this year :>)
Best price I have found right now is from Jack's Powder Keg, it is running $12.60/lb. for GOEX 1Fg delivered to your door. Reenactor quality powder runs $10.20 delivered.

UPS or FED-EX can deliver up to 50 lbs., however, you still need to check with your state, county, local city ordinance. In most of California the most you can have without a license & approved powder magazine is 10 lbs.

Anthony Variz
Jacks price also includes all shipping costs per their website.

·
Premium Member
3,043 Posts
Ok ,here is a short story about a man I've known for @ well ...28 years ! He an old gentleman now .

Served in WWII , and worked in a Black Powder factory . He told me stories of wading around in rooms of black powder up to his shinnes .

White suits no pockets , so NOTHING metalic can be there . !!!! :eek:

Also the building were built barely tacked together. This was so after the ...'big one' they could be reassmbled after the clean up and ......removal of anyone left inside :'( :'( :'(

Then.....go back to work .

MT do you guys remember Halvador Calm ? ....'Hal' ?

I'd near shiver when he'd tell me these things ......Think ..... 'Ducks Butt in a power dive , watertight !' :eek:
for sure ....

This was only 60 years ago !!!! Gary

Gary

·
Registered
73 Posts
My Grandfather worked at the Hercules Powder Plant for 40 some odd years until it closed in 1964. In the first 38 years of the California Power Works’ operations in Hercules, 59 lives were taken by explosions. The nitroglycerine house and the building in which the dynamite was produced were the primary locations of the blasts.

He told stories of how they would clean up after incidents with body parts being found days later in nearby trees. He also used to come home from work with massive migraine headaches so bad they reduced him to tears. He went on to work another 10 years for the City of Pinole as a landscaper/gardener and luckily the headaches stopped...

Anthony Variz

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Related to the story, (cannons>OT), went to a yard sale a couple of weeks ago, and picked up 3 "Blasting Powders" wooden crates...one was Hercules Powder. One of these days pretty soon, I'll post some pics, and include one or more of them next to a cannon or mortar. (Once I figure this new-fangeled contraption out!)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts