Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
4,461 Posts
It's not unknown for dogs and coyotes to breed. Could have been a cross breed(known as "Coydogs"). It could have also been a very dark colored coyote too. I have seen them from a very dark charcoal gray(black from a short distance) to a reddish color. An uncle of mine shot one years ago that was almost totally white(not an albino) that was only a few years old. You may have passed on a unusual trophy. Lawdog
:D

· Registered
4,461 Posts
Re: Predaror and Varmint Hunting

oso45-70 said:
Houseofcash, Its not too uncommon to find a dark or blackish coyote. It seems like its a certian strain of coyotes. But I don't belive that dogs and coyotes cross, During all the years that i trapped i never cought any thing that i thought was a cross. I have asked the game and fish Biologist if such an event ever happened and they all said it was impossable that the genetic code was not compatable. on the other hand the wolf and dog will cross. and yes if you get a good dark pelt it will bring you more money.
good luck..............Joe..............
Joe,

Coyotes breeding with domestic dogs happens all the time. In fact there a number of breeders that breed “Coydogs”. Just do a search of the net and their ads will show up. There is nothing “genetic” to keep them from breeding. I have killed a few of them in different states. Lawdog

· Registered
4,461 Posts
Joe,

By all means disagree. I have taken a couple of “Coydogs” to the local state game biologist and he confirms them as cross-breeds(Coydogs). Like I said you can even buy Coydogs from a number of breeders where it’s legal to do so(the law depends on which state you live in - the following(http://www.wolfdogalliance.org/legislation/statelaws.html) is the State Regulations from the National Wolfdog Alliance) which also refers to Coydogs. The following is just one of the places that breed Coydogs. http://www.coydog.us/coydog.html. I am sorry but they do exist in the wild where ever Coyotes/Wolfs and dogs come into contact. There are some that will say feral dogs and Coyotes won’t run together but that’s another misnomer. I have helped wipe out feral dog packs that had Coyotes running with them. Feral dogs will do more damage to sheep flocks than Coyotes/Wolfs do. Lawdog

· Registered
4,461 Posts
Matt,

Now you know why Graybeard Outdoors is so popular with the real hunting/shooting crowd. :-D We come here to discuss and express viewpoints not to argue. :sniper: I imagine Joe and I(and most everyone here at Graybeard Outdoors) could sit by the fire and share many a tall cold one without spilling any blood. Lawdog
:toast:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.