Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone trying to lower their BP naturally , I want to get off prescription BP meds,They have to many side effects .

·
Registered
174 Posts
First stop using salt if you use it for cooking. My wife uses no salt for cooking. If you need a LITTLE, use a LITTLE. Since your body needs salt I pick one item out of the meal and put a LITTLE salt on it. Doing this lowered my blood pressure 20-25 what ever the unit of measurement is...

I have lost some weight by stopping snacking between meals. I'm not counting carbs but watching them.

The blood pressure drop was fairly quick, like a month. The weight loss is going much slower...

Good Luck.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First stop using salt if you use it for cooking. My wife uses no salt for cooking. If you need a LITTLE, use a LITTLE. Since your body needs salt I pick one item out of the meal and put a LITTLE salt on it. Doing this lowered my blood pressure 20-25 what ever the unit of measurement is...

I have lost some weight by stopping snacking between meals. I'm not counting carbs but watching them.

The blood pressure drop was fairly quick, like a month. The weight loss is going much slower...

Good Luck.
20 Point drop is very good , Its going to take some discipline to give up the sodium , But I got to try .

·
Registered
174 Posts
Yes, it will be tough but it is a matter of life and death... Insisting my wife not to use salt for cooking made it easier. She is a very good cook and thought not cooking with salt might be a problem, turns out it wasn't. We also use "unsalted butter" which when my kids visit they absolutely hate on toast... They are addicted to salt.

The only time my wife will use salted butter and salt is during the holidays when she bakes traditional family breads and cookies that require salt in the dough recipes and then she uses a minimal amount.

As I mentioned I use a little on one item in the meal. It will take a little getting used to but you CAN do it. Good luck.

·
Registered
10,335 Posts
I quit using salt years ago. Replaced it with sweet and hot chilie peppers in my food. Gives it seasoning and flavor without the harmful effects of salt.

·
Registered
10,335 Posts
I’ve gotten used to using Jalapeños and other chilies. I eat them at every meal. Buy 50 or do every week. Miss dash not for me. I’ve used it in the past and no salt and several others. I’ll stick with peppers, onions, garlic, etc. I’ll stick with natural flavors to spice up my food.

·
23,845 Posts
Well I'm sittin at home because I have small intestine trying to perforate
Clear liquid for 2 more days, or face consequences.

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts
How high is your BP? I'm no doctor and am not giving advice, but imo, unless I had family with BP related early deaths I would shy away from medication. A lot of times hereditary high BP is just that and the pharm side effects can be worse than the high BP. I am adverse from taking any long term medications and have been told for at least 4 different medications that I would be on them for life. I'm on no medications and am healthy as can be expected for a 50 year old...

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
145/96 today but its been as high as 166/110 , Both my parents had high BP , so I guess it is inherited . The med I am currently on has a list 100 side effects . Ill keep y'all posted If I can get it under control naturally .

·
Registered
174 Posts
Maybe both of your parents used a lot of salt. Pretty common back then. My father used to put salt on his salt... Stop using it tonight. You CAN do it. How old are you?

·
Registered
351 Posts
mcbammer: I have to agree with the old salt about stopping the use of salt in your cooking. I would also advise to avoid salty snacks and if you look on the content label of some of the things you purchase for snacking or eating you will notice a calcium content, a sodium content and a potassium content - each of these three is a salt and you should try to avoid these as much as possible.

I would also avoid sugar as much as possible, and I have a sweet tooth which makes it tough to do that but ........

Swim with beavers - I tried the grapefruit approach for cholesterol but I used sweetened pink grapefruit juice and sometimes the grapefruit itself. I suppose it doesn't help if I add a stiff shot or two of vodka to a rather large glass of grapefruit juice although I am not discounting it. My last cholesterol reading was 214, just a bit shy of the 220 level my MD prefers to see me below but less than 90 days before the test I was pigging out on all sorts of stuff that would spike my cholesterol up the wazoo. My last blood pressure reading however was 118/78 even while I was looking dreamily into the eyes of the lovely young nurse who took it. She said it wasn't necessary for me to completely disrobe as the doctor would be in too soon ................dang and lol. My blood pressure is pretty much in the normal range though and I have not yet had a problem with it.

Also, whether you like it or not, some good heart pumping exercise pretty regularly really helps drop it. If you have a huntin' buddy you can go hunt some furry vermin on stone walls with or just get out to take a rifle or shotgun for a walk that will help.

And also (twice) there are a lot of factors that can really jump your BP, such as just being in a doctor's office, trying to get yourself emotionally ready for the testing without (hopefully) worrying about the possible results, the trip to the doctor's office, cranky staff, the notice on the laboratory door that says 'If we take your blood we don't give any of it back', or 'Complaints will go directly to the Mother Superior' or, 'I am not a Vampire regardless of how much blood I draw'...... I once thought I would be late for my doctor's appointment and got stuck in traffic for 10 miles behind some creeping Jesus in a hybrid fuel vehicle and although I made it on time I was a bit jazzed up and my first blood pressure reading was somewhere around 140/82. The nurse said - 'Wow, you're hot today' and I said to give it a minute or so and I would be back to normal; then it was 122/80 and finally 120/80 that day (I still wonder if she was disappointed she didn't jump it up) but man I gotta tellya that if she had gotten any closer my pressure would have gone through the roof. I would have loved it had it been 'touch and go' that day but she always sees me coming and is well prepared for it. I once went to a appointment dressed as the comedian Tim Conway as the oldest man in the world and even did the Tim Conway old man shuffle across the waiting room - she saw right through it, pulled the phony beard off and told me to 'get in here now'..........

I find a little humor helps normalize things and I have no problem with using my rather weird sense of humor in the doctor's office. I went for a regular exam once and as the nurse comes out of the examination area to call me in she is proceeded by a older gentleman, quite bent over and walking or crabbing slowly on a cane. The nurse says 'Mike, you can come in now' and I looked at her and looked at the older guy and said 'I'm not so sure, look at this fella' - who then said 'Oh no, it's alright I was like this when I came in' and I said 'she didn't fix you' and he said 'No, my wife did that a long time ago' and I said 'I'm doomed', to which the nurse said 'Get in here now' ... and that's the end of that story. Hope this helps.......

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts
Isn't as simple as salt unfortunately, I'm a use salt on salt kinda guy and I have idea blood pressure. Not saying you shouldn't try cutting out salt, but If it's hereditary then it is what it is... Do they have health issues because of it?

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Maybe both of your parents used a lot of salt. Pretty common back then. My father used to put salt on his salt... Stop using it tonight. You CAN do it. How old are you?
63 , Dont think my parents used excessive salt . But probably more than they needed .

·
Registered
5,948 Posts
Cutting down on salt certainly won't hurt anything and apparently helps with high BP. Slimming down and exercise are also beneficial, probably more so than salt. Combining the three just might get you there and also might not. This is from a what my doctor told me. I haven't ever used much salt but I watch my weight and exercise some and should probably do more of each. Mine is not super high by any means and I got close with this method but it still required a very inexpensive water pill to get me where the doctor wanted. It runs 125 to 135 on the high end, can't remember the low.

·
24,482 Posts
What about the natural sodium? That's already in the food like with red meats? Isn't cholesterol also a factor.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Cutting down on salt certainly won't hurt anything and apparently helps with high BP. Slimming down and exercise are also beneficial, probably more so than salt. Combining the three just might get you there and also might not. This is from a what my doctor told me. I haven't ever used much salt but I watch my weight and exercise some and should probably do more of each. Mine is not super high by any means and I got close with this method but it still required a very inexpensive water pill to get me where the doctor wanted. It runs 125 to 135 on the high end, can't remember the low.
I am the heaviest I ever been currently , mainly because I got 20 years wear on a artificial hip , and here recently Its been acting up and I have been staying off of it as much as possible . Do those water pills make you nervous and jittery ? Isnt that what truck drivers use to take to stay awake ?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts