Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a blue grouse after work yesterday evening. 410 bore with home-rolled 7.5 shot loads.

Sorry about the lousy pic, but I took it with my cell phone, an archaic flip phone, because I refuse to get a "smart" phone.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
awww now. . . .
everybody knows that you can't kill anything
but a coke can with a .410.
all the gun magazines say so ;) :D

nice bird. ;)
they're supposed to be really tasty.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Pretty big bird there. Looks just like one of the rocks.

And nice lookin shotgun too.

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts
I just wish we had grouse in Louisiana. We don't have any of the larger upland birds. :'( Up until I was about 15 I thought all shotguns were 410's.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If I can get all of my "getting ready for winter" crap done before then, I hope to go out again this weekend. Don't really care if I kill anything, but it's nice to get out.

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
gomerdog said:
. . . . . . . . Don't really care if I kill anything, but it's nice to get out.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ;)

·
Premium Member
9,821 Posts
I love the old .410 bore. I was out bear hunting this past weekend and saw 2 ruffed grouse (we call them partridges in New England). They both just walked almost right up to me, they somehow knew our season doesn't start until October 1st. During the season they will flush before you get to within 100 yards of them.

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts
Doublebass73 said:
They both just walked almost right up to me, they somehow knew our season doesn't start until October 1st. During the season they will flush before you get to within 100 yards of them.
As soon as a state decides on the seasons they post them in the woods for a few days so the game knows before we do. It's a wonder they didn't drop some "potwash" on your boot. And yeah, you won't even see um in October.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Awesome. Started my grousing with a single shot 410. Eventually moved to grandpa's 12 gauge couey. I've since picked up a 12 gauge h&r. Fantastic shotguns regardless of the drilling.

I'm really looking forward to this season!

Neil

·
Premium Member
9,821 Posts
jpshaw said:
Doublebass73 said:
They both just walked almost right up to me, they somehow knew our season doesn't start until October 1st. During the season they will flush before you get to within 100 yards of them.
As soon as a state decides on the seasons they post them in the woods for a few days so the game knows before we do. It's a wonder they didn't drop some "potwash" on your boot. And yeah, you won't even see um in October.
I know, they always seem to disappear as soon as the season starts.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts