Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks
Looks like ole GB is going to have a new rifle. I guess the logical thing to do is describe the process. First , lets talk about the action.
1. completely strip reciever and clean
2. index reciever in lathe off of centerline of action
3. recut lug recesses
4. single point recut the threads
5. face reciever
6. index bolt in fixture
7. cut front, back and sides of bolt lugs
8. cut bolt nose and face.....here are some pics
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...=132194&page=4&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1.
9. reassemble action and lap lugs to 100%contact
10. drill and tap for 8 x 40 scope base screws

In another thread we can discuss the other steps if folks are interested.

Comments are welcome. In this step , it seems every gunsmith has a different way to accomplish this but everyone shoots (no pun intended :) )for the same thing: having everything involved in a straight line. This doesnt cover everything but should give a general idea.
Charlie

·
Administrator
26,211 Posts
Most all of that I understand even if I don't have the ability to do it. BUT I don't fully understand item #4 (single point recut the threads ). Recutting the threads I understand. What does "single point" mean in this context?

GB

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Single point basically is using a carbide tip insert on a tool to cut the threads to a true diameter, depth, and pitch. More or less the same as using a tap to straighten a threaded hole just a much more precise way.
Charlie

·
Registered
77 Posts
Charlie,

As a custom rifle enthusiast but a non-gunsmith this is all good stuff, I'm interested keep posting more information.

I'm from Brisbane, Australia and new to this website but I do have one fine custom rifle and I am dreaming of another.

Magnum308

·
Administrator
26,211 Posts
Charlie doesn't post here any longer and as far as I know doesn't even read here. His request for this was the reason it was started but he isn't with us any longer as far as I know. You can I believer find him at the 24 Hour Campfire site or at least that's where he used to hang out.

GB

1 - 5 of 5 Posts