Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've aquired some ground bobcat meat, tainted and preserved using SB, can any of you more experienced trappers make suggestions on any other ingrediance i could add to spice this up to use as bait for yotes, cats and fox?

Bud

·
Premium Member
3,084 Posts
Welcome Bud.
You can always add some castor,there are also bait solutions available to cut down on the trial and error part. Dryed and ground beaver oil sacs,and a bit of sac oil are also good additions.
Tom

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that sounds good, i have bait solution and ground castor, could i add a few drops of skunk eccense to this and it not be to overpowering? the meat has a slight taint, nothing real strong but i want something that would reach out.
how much skunk would someone add to a gallon of bait and not have the stuff melt my face.

bud

btw, thanks for the reply

·
Premium Member
3,084 Posts
Bud ,if you are going to add skunk---one drop at a time.Add a drop mix,and see what you have.You can alwya add more.
Or just mix up what you have and forget about the skunk.Use it near the set as a call lure.
Tom

·
Premium Member
3,084 Posts
Shootall, what type of musk does he add.There are a lot of different musks.
Tom

·
Registered
28,628 Posts
I will try to find out , My son started trapping with an old friend of mine last year so it is new to me . Must work as son got several fox , bobcat and some other stuff . Tried to call son but he must be on deer stand

·
Registered
913 Posts
One can add about 1/4 oz of skunk musk per gallon of bait without completely overpowering every other quality the bait may have. 1/4 oz might smell pretty raw and strong right at first but if one stirs it in good and lets the bait age a month or two the skunk odor will mellow right out and one will be able to smell the meat, castor, etc underneath the skunky odor. Definitely the canines and cats will still smell it. Asa

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks Asa, thats what i needed to know, i had a cat this mourning, same concoction, ground cat, castor, tad of skunk and a bait solution, bit of it down a dirthole and cat pee on a branch pile backing. i didn't know if this would work when i first posted this but the mournings catch cleared alot of questions, now i have to find a 55 gallon drum of ground bobcat (wink )

again, thanks for all who gave input on this topic,

i'll try to post pics of the cat if i can figure out how to add

bud

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
heres this mourning catch, pinched by one of jason mods from custon trap mods.

another from a couple days back

this one got pinched by an MB 550. same cat in above pic

and a nice little red yote, all three aniamls pictured taken from the same set including two more coyotes and 2 *****. this trap modified by jason has really stood the test and seems ready for plenty more. Mb proformed well also on that first cat

Bud

·
Premium Member
3,084 Posts
Nice going Bud, whats with all that greenery> you live in the tropics?
Tom

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
things stay green all year here in south louisiana, i'm way south, a few miles from the coast down bayou lafourche, about 50 miles southeast of new orleans, i do have another home in mississippi where i'm trapping, i leave again for miss. in a few days for thanksgiving. i'll be up there with family for another couple weeks

when you guys are riding snowmobiles, i'm mowing my lawn

Bud

·
Premium Member
3,084 Posts
Haven't been on a snowmobile in decades, but I have trapped in Mississippi.
Even got to break some ice down there.Trapped in the delta region , took some nice looking beaver ,otter and ****--but man those red yotes were ugly suckers.
Tom

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.