Graybeard Outdoors banner

Bought a 1911

2K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  mrcooper 
#1 ·
I have stayed away from them for years, I am a revolver man but decided to buy one, don't know much about them. the guy I bought from told me it would not shoot Lead, can some one tell me why? and what would I have to do to make it shoot Lead? Thank you

#5 ·
Back many years ago when I had a 1911 in 45 ACP I as well as my shooting buddy cast and shot 180 grn wad cutters all the time never had a problem with any of them, we used the 90 percent lead and 10 percent tin worked great.

Deaconllb

#7 ·
My guess would be it wouldn't function well with HIS lead loads! May work just fine with quality lead reloads.

Yes, there can be problems with light loads (may have to change the recoil spring), or some bullet profiles, especially on older guns, but all can be solved.

In other words it's not what the bullets are made of, it's what the gun is set up to shoot.

#8 ·
mrcooper: there is no reason what so ever why your 1911 should not shoot cast bullets and probably shoot them more accurately than jacketed loads. As Spruce opinionated, it may well have been the former owner's cast loads that would neither shoot or function.
If you are a revolver man then you most likely have shot cast loads. The same rules apply for cast in revolvers that apply to cast in semi-autos in that the diameter of the cast slug should be .001" (one thousands of one inch) over bore diameter. If your revolver is/was a 38/357, then your jacketed bullets were .357" diameter and your cast loads should have been .358" diameter.

For the 1911 in 45 acp, your jacketed bullet diameter is .451", your cast bullet diameter should be .452". In addition, your loads, if just for casual plinking and shooting should at least function the pistol by cycling the action under recoil and tossing your empties not more than a couple of feet away. Your pistol should come or should have come with a 16-18 pound recoil spring, which may be worn a bit if the pistol has been shot a lot or which may have been replaced by a lower power spring if the former owner preferred light target loads - your reloads should cycle that action without problem with the proper weight recoil spring installed and, if not then your reloads do not have sufficient power to properly cycle your action and you need to bring them up a bit.

I would suggest a new Lyman Pistol and Revolver Reloading Handbook (if you don't already have one) as the Lyman reloading manuals always carried lots of data for cast bullets. I also suggest beginning with standard cast round nose 230 gn slugs for your 1911 for ease of cycling, in .452 diameter with powder charges the manual refers to as either factory velocity duplication loads or accuracy loads. Often, manuals suggest beginning at 'starting' loads but they may not have the power to cycle the action properly. This way, or with a box of factory mil-spec full metal jacketed round nosed ball you should be able to determine if your pistol functions and operates properly and if it suffers any accuracy problems. I would suggest you bench rest the pistol for accuracy testing, and then have a go at it with your reloads.

If the previous owner says he shot it a lot or had it for a long time but didn't shoot it much it won't matter. Most 1911s are built like tanks, for combat, but a new set of springs is inexpensive and readily available from Wolff Recoil Springs in Ardmore, Pennsylvania if you need them.

And unless you are going into target work for competition with this pistol you should be able to expect 3-4 inch groups at 25 yds with the pistol and jacketed mil-spec ball ammo. Cast bullet reloads in the proper diameter can close those groups up nicely.

And all this is for the 1911. You didn't specify the caliber, of which there are 5 offerings but I will assume it to be in the 45 Automatic calibre. Hope all this helps. If not, send me the gun and all your ammo and I'll work out any kinks for ya. Just sayin' ......

#10 ·
I for got to say what brand it is, It's a Hi-Standard I didn't know they made 1911. Are they ant good?
Also while I'm here one of our local discount stores have Winchester 230 gr. FMJ on sale fer $30.00 fer 100 rounds is that rally a sale price, I am a reloaded do they have the large primers or small?

#15 ·
The High Standard 1911 should be a pretty good one however, I don't know if they are still made and if rare, what the value is but otherwise it's a 1911. Winchester ball at 100 rounds for $30 is good, at $15/box. However, the new Winchester line of USA Ready, with a 230 gn full metal jacket flat nose bullet at 880'/sec is my new choice for 45 ball. It is billed as target ammo and very accurate from both my 45s. The 45 acp takes a large standard pistol primer. Have fun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.