Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wanted a hunter model but the dealer had a used one with a 10 inch pipe and unfluted cylinder that i had to have after a test shoot. sure is a WHOLE 'lot tamer than the casull. needs a trigger job, though; do you boys recommend the po' boys trigger job or spring kit? could the poor boy's job do any potential damage to the gun? i shouldnt think so but i figured i'd throw it out there and see what y'all think.

·
23,104 Posts
I dont have any use for the spring kits they do nothing for creap which is the biggest detriment to accuracy and they usually make cocking the gun seem kind of gritty. For just a little more you can have it done right. I have a friend that does all mine for free so I can afford to be a little snobby about it but even Clemments only chargers $75 to do it and the spring kit is probably half of that anyway. nothing you can do to a gun is more important then the trigger and action job. A good one will make the gun feel like its worth twice the price! Only problem is once you have one done you will have to have every gun in your possesion done. Just ask my buddy I keep him pretty busy!

·
23,104 Posts
I think what hes refering to is lifting one leg of the spring. Never did like that idea. Imo the money spent on a good action job is the best money you can spend.
Anonymous said:
I'm assuming by "po boys trigger job" you mean dry firing while applying pressure to the hammer with your thumb. That is definitely the way to go first. You won't hurt the gun and it will smooth the trigger out.
Good shooting, Weagle

·
Premium Member
4,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i was refering to doing both...

of the things you mentioned. i read a post once ( a graybeard post i think ) that listed a web site that showed you how to do it. i was just wondering if there would be any drawbacks to doing so. AND i agree that a trigger job by a pro is the best solution and i WILL get one down the road ( my gun smith is having heart surgury and will be gone a while ) but was wondering about between now and then.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I have unhooked one leg on all my SA Rugers and never had any ill affects. Defininitly helped the actions. KN

·
23,104 Posts
probably isnt going to hurt anything but in my opinion creap in a trigger is the worst detriment to accuracy. Id rather have a 5lb trigger that broke clean then a 2lb trigger with creap in it.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I have several Blackhawks I have worked over. Get a spring kit from Wolfe, or Power Custom, or Brownells, or etc. The kit will have trigger return and mainsprings in it. Tear down the pistol and install the kit. While you have it apart, seize the moment to clean, deburr, and polish anything that needs it ( hammer strut, hammer, etc.) No need to polish on the sear surfaces.

Get a belt mountain base pin while you are at it, and install.

Reassemble and try it out. You will be pleasantly surprised. The Ruger BH is pretty easy to work on.

Tom

·
Registered
38 Posts
wolf springs

I have installed the Wolf spring kits, in my S.B.H. I like them and the improvement is worth the expense.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts