Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went and picked up the previously mentioned Sako Hunter tonight. It's virtually new, cal 30-06, with new (still in the package) Sako Optilock bases and rings. Got the whole shebang for $700. It is a "pre-lock" model 75, and is a sweet handling rifle, very similar to the Tikka I have. All in all, I am pleased. I will scope it up and give it a go.

Tom

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Longwinters, have you used the Leupold rings on a Sako rifle? If so, how did they work? The optilock rings I got are medium height, and I would prefer low height rings, so I think I will sell them and use Leupold or Warne.

Tom

·
Premium Member
3,205 Posts
I have used Leo's on 3 Sako rifles. A 30-06, 7mm and 7mm weatherby. I have never had a problem with them. My buddy has had them on his Sako 300 weatherby and 7m STW without any problems. But I could never use the low rings even with a 3x9x40 Nikon Monarch. I now have a Zeiss Conquest in 3.5x10x44 on my 7mm and have high rings, but could use medium. With the long eye relief of the Zeiss my cheek is actually back on the stock (with lots of ajustment room for scope possible ) so my eye is higher than with the Nikon (which gave me no adjustment space) and forced me to have my face more forward and lower. If possible I would see if my scope would work with the low rings cuz they would not for me. But your scope might be different.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice. I did some measuring, and decided to order a Zeiss Conquest 3X9, along with some Warne medium rings. I should get the rings and scope this week (Cabelas for the rings, bear basin for the scope). The medium height ring should give around 1/8" clearance to the barrel, based on measuring the objective on my buddies Zeiss. So, we will see. In any case, I will be listing the Optilocks on Ebay.

Thanks again

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.