Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last summer DD and I shot off a couple rounds in to the pond in front of my house . Today my ball was found floating on the edge of pond . Cool ..... Doug's zinc ball is still mired in the mud some where :D

I know it is the same ball as it's name is Rachel , and Rachel floated home .
Out of curiosity I weighed the ball . It now weighs 8.4 lbs . Weighed 9 when we sent it off.

Mysterious Mysteries of the North Country :p

·
Premium Member
3,043 Posts
You might check the number of eyes the next fish or two that is caught has ;D .

it might not of become a floater untill all the heavy metals leached out ...... ;D

You should figure out what property it has lost . is it softer ? whack it with a hammer .

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well it is Friday the 13th and good things happen , bodies rise from the deep ! ::)

Only floats with holes down . Placed holes up and it rotates back down. ???

·
7,217 Posts
Just for the record, a bowling ball made of water (well, a volume of water equal to the volume of a bowling ball) would weigh 11.98 lbs, so any balls weighing less than 12 pounds should float to one degree or another.

Just as an experiment, someone with a 12 pound ball should fill the bath tub and put the 12 pounder in the soup and see it it is neutral buoyancy. ;D

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We have had lots of SE winds . I just noticed the ball on the north shore of pond this afternoon . Ice was about 1/2" thick around the ball . It was in about 1' of water . Good neighbor Don was watching hoping I would fall in . Almost did . Wish I had taken picture before retirving . It was floating nearly half out of the water. Interesting . :)

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
1Southpaw said:
Well it is Friday the 13th and good things happen , bodies rise from the deep ! ::)

Only floats with holes down . Placed holes up and it rotates back down. ???
Sooo....maybe it sticks it legs out the holes and treads water?

·
Premium Member
3,949 Posts
Does anyone have any idea why the bowling ball would now weigh less than when Southpaw first weighed it?

·
7,217 Posts
I don't know if the 9 lbs was actually weighed or was just what was marked on the ball, but with the exception of not weighing more than 16 lbs (the maximum permitted by rule), there is no requirement that a bowling ball weigh any exact amount, so we don't KNOW that it weighed 9 lbs to begin with.

I think 1Southpaw actually had weighed every ball he brought to the Montana Cannon Shoot so maybe it really did weigh exactly 9 lbs; but maybe it didn't.

·
Premium Member
4,986 Posts
"Ice was about 1/2" thick around the ball."

It's really quite simple...

When ice melts, thermal energy begins to overcome the hydrogen-bonding forces so that each H2O molecule, instead of being permanently connected to four neighbors, is now only linked to an average of three other molecules through hydrogen bonds that continually break and re-form. With fewer hydrogen bonds, the geometrical requirements that formerly mandated a more open structural arrangement now diminish, so the entire network tends to collapse, rendering the water more dense. As the temperature rises, the fraction of H2O molecules that occupy ice-like clusters diminishes, contributing to the rise in density.

See?

·
Super Moderator
16,991 Posts
Victor3 said:
"Ice was about 1/2" thick around the ball."

It's really quite simple...

When ice melts, thermal energy begins to overcome the hydrogen-bonding forces so that each H2O molecule, instead of being permanently connected to four neighbors, is now only linked to an average of three other molecules through hydrogen bonds that continually break and re-form. With fewer hydrogen bonds, the geometrical requirements that formerly mandated a more open structural arrangement now diminish, so the entire network tends to collapse, rendering the water more dense. As the temperature rises, the fraction of H2O molecules that occupy ice-like clusters diminishes, contributing to the rise in density.

See?
Okay, got it!! So how cold will it have to get befor my zinc ones float? ;D

·
Registered
651 Posts
No need to drain the pond... just walk out there and pick them up !!!

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The problem with walking

is the 1' of black slime on the bottom , will pull your boots off !
Weighed ball this AM , now 8.1 lbs . same scale as before . It is a didital scale accurate to .00 lbs.
The Mystery continues ...... :eek:

did mention , after George's reply , millions of people across the Globe are filling bath tubs and baptizing bowling balls . ;)

·
Registered
651 Posts
Re: The problem with walking

1Southpaw said:
is the 1' of black slime on the bottom , will pull your boots off !
That's not a problem.... goe barefoot. The mud will feel good between your toes.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.