Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

Thinkin of working up a BP load for my Buff Classic someday...Something like a 525 grain postell over FFF Goex but I just wanted to ask about cleaning first.

Do I just flush my barrel with hot soapy water and then dry it out with patches, or is there more to it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Bore butter works great for me in a CVA .54.

Use as hot a water as you can, that way it'll dry itself off from the heat in a few min.
While it's still hot but, after dried. Swab it good with bore butter again.

Clean it real good again in a day or two if you're not going to shoot it right away.
That BP seems to come back before long with crap again. Never had it come back after a good second
cleaning though. It's a good idea to check it and reclean again every few months.

Something that heavy you'll want to use FFg instead of FFF though. Triple F is finer grained for pistol, or lighter cal's.

What projectil's will you be using?

George

·
Registered
66 Posts
i will second the hot water wash methode. With blued guns shooting BP I like to clean them asap after shooting. We have had lots of fun shooting FFg in the 45-70 and 45 colts. ;D ;D Ussually we only use fffg as flash powder.

Rosoce

·
Premium Member
1,217 Posts
I have used Triple Seven in my 45-70 and it cleaned up very easily with water. Three swipes and the bore was clean. I think I will go to BP though as I am a bit of a 'purist' at heart. Also PB can be compressed more to burn cleaner.

Mc

1 - 6 of 6 Posts