Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 Ram 1500 pickup with only 16 K miles on it. The front brakes were dragging to where if you jacked up the front of the truck it would take all you have in effort to turn either of the front wheels , hot or cold.

I took off both calibers and cleaned and lubed the pins and did not see anything wrong visually. It was the same after reassembled and driven for a few days.

I just replaced both calipers with new and I have the same problem, maybe worse ? I looked to see if there was a proportioning valve but it doesn't have one . there is a large brake manifold where the lines from the master cylinder connect and the 4 lines to each wheel run out from this manifold. There are electrical connections probably for the ABS, I don't see anything out of place or damaged.

As soon as I replaced the new calipers and bleed the air out I had the same problem the brakes hold the rotor so tightly you can barley budge the wheels to turn .

Anyone have any ideas what else to check ??? . jedman

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
Is the pedal bound up in the cab some how? Not releasing all the way?

I'm all for DIY but before I threw any more money at NAPA I would venture to a dealer

Sent via Pony Express rider through Indian country.

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
the fronts spin free and easily with no calipers in place ?
the master cylinder isn't overfull and creating a hydraulic lock ?
no problems at all with the rears ?
the front is completely and totally bled properly, not just gravity bled ?
the front hoses are both in good shape and not pinched or collapsed internally ?
you've already said the retaining hardware was cleaned and lubed with
the correct lubricant and are ok with no dings or scoring and the area
where the calipers mount to the spindles were clean and free of scoring
and gouges and dings.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Your truck is equipped with traction control as well as ABS. Traction control is likely the source of the problem. Could be something as simple as a wheel sensor or as major as comm problems. You have to start with pulling all codes then running a diagnostic. If you don't have the diagnostic equipment or necessary resources you'll be money ahead to go to the dealer. You have the potential to do more harm than good without the proper tools and knowledge. With such few miles there is a possibility it can be a warranty repair. Even if it's not covered, you'll likely save money by having the dealer fix it.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Yep. Take it to the dealer for warranty. Be sure and read all warranty info before you go. They might try and tell you it's not under warranty when it is. Maybe because they don't know.

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
i know ford dealers can run an oasis (ford's terminology for
a computer check of your vehicle) that tells if there are any
open recalls on the vehicle, or what if any warranty is left.
they're not supposed to charge anything for it (ford dealers
don't anyway) you give the service dept. your vin number
and they can check within a minute or less and tell you
about your vehicle. i'm sure gm and chrysler have a similar
process.

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies. I will look into warranty on this, usually brakes are not covered very long.
Whatever is causing this didn't change one bit by installing new calipers and new hardware ?

jedman

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
jedman said:
Thanks for the replies. I will look into warranty on this, usually brakes are not covered very long.
Whatever is causing this didn't change one bit by installing new calipers and new hardware ?

jedman
if the chrysler warranty is like ford's, it's the brake pads themselves that don't
have much of a warranty, much like a clutch disc or a belt since they are considered
wear items. if there is an abs problem i'd think it would be covered unless they consider
the work you did yourself as voiding the warranty on the brakes.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Ranger99 said:
i know ford dealers can run an oasis (ford's terminology for
a computer check of your vehicle) that tells if there are any
open recalls on the vehicle, or what if any warranty is left.
they're not supposed to charge anything for it (ford dealers
don't anyway) you give the service dept. your vin number
and they can check within a minute or less and tell you
about your vehicle. i'm sure gm and chrysler have a similar
process.

This info and more is all available online. Below is a link to get you started. Personal VIN locked warranty info is also available through Dodge.

http://www.ramtrucks.com/webselfservice/ram/Recall.html

Warranty infractions are regulated by the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act.

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry for forgetting about this post for a while , I had a good friend die suddenly and many other distractions lately. I ended up taking the pads off and putting antisieze on the clips on the pads and after reassembled I took it out and made some hard stops where the antilock worked fine and now they don't seem to be dragging.
I called Chrysler and my warranty was up at 36 months so I was going to try whatever to fix them myself.
Thanks to all for the replies.

jedman

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.