Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So far in my quest for a 1.650" steel block mold I have heard back from 2 of the sponsors... they don't make molds. Jeff Tanner in England can make one but it would be in brass. Question... can a brass mold be used when casting zinc? Granted, a steel mold would be the best option but so far it doesn't look like that is going to be happening. Come on guys, anyone out there making molds?

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
I've been told to stay away from the lower-melting metals when casting zinc. Apparently even aluminum causes problems. Brass has a melting point of 900-940 deg. F, which is not much higher than zinc, around 800. I agree that you should stick with steel, there are lots of people who will do it, you just have to keep checking.

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
Evil Dog:

Try Schneider Enterprises in Burlington, WI. He is on the GBO Sponsors list. Back in 2004, he made a steel mold for my 1.490” half scale Parrott cannon. The diameter size he made for me was 1.470". It is a fine quality mold and has served me well over the years until I gave up casting lead. I now purchase already cast lead 10 oz cannon balls in the size of 1.43” from a supplier in Oklahoma, City.

·
7,221 Posts
copper.org shows the melting point of C360 brass as a little over 1600° F, so it would probably be OK for zinc. You might have a wetting problem but I don't know one way or the other about that. You should ask the mold maker or make a test by dunking a piece of clean brass into molten zinc and seeing if the zinc sticks to the brass.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sent an e-mail off to Schneider Cannons explaining what I was looking for. I would really prefer to go with a steel mold rather than brass.... it all depends on just who actually gets back to me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts