Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, what am I?

Small firing pin, serial prefix ANxxxxx so from 1975 , bright shiny finish action. I've seen a few others like this on 20 gauges and 30-30s, but most of the silver actions I see are the electroless nickel plated versions. While this is a cast action, it looks to almost be originally a polished chrome finish. The inside of the action is also raw and bright above and below the bolt hole. Is this just the cast metal polished and clear coated by the factory?

I saw an identical one on a black painted wooden stock 20 gauge with a normal blued barrel that all looked original. While I know it isn't stainless it sure looks like it.

What is the common model and setups this action was used on?

I'm thinking it would look nice with a stainless 7-30 Waters barrel, brass trigger guard and a walnut stock. While the last picture is of a Ruger #1, I like this look.

Thanks!

Revolver Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory
Table Wood Hardwood Flooring Wood stain

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
I've not seen nor heard of an H&R finished like that. I'll wager it was stripped, polished, and reassembled. Looks nice!!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I agree it is nice looking.

Normally I would have thought it was stripped and polished. However, this looks to be as originally made. Looking at the insides show no hint of any coloring or blueing. Only looks darker from the roughness of the casting and nit being milled. Also the lettering is crisp as expected. It also doesn't look to be a chrome plating.

Wood Material property Art Hardwood Metal
Wood Gas Household hardware Nail Machine
Watch Wood Material property Bullet Gas

·
Super Moderator
51,894 Posts
Looks familiar, the book indicates some of the early (50-60s) Toppers had chrome frames, but those listed in ~1974-on were nickel or case colored. Nickel frames are coated entirely with plating, that one was likely polished.

Tim

Reactions: neckisred

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Looks familiar, the book indicates some of the early (50-60s) Toppers had chrome frames, but those listed in ~1974-on were nickel or case colored. Nickel frames are coated entirely with plating, that one was likely polished.

Tim
Wouldn't those early ones have rebounding hammers? That one like like a transfer bar frame....

·
Super Moderator
51,894 Posts
Wouldn't those early ones have rebounding hammers? That one like like a transfer bar frame....

Yes, transfer bar hammers were being implemented as early as 1972 on revolvers, patent applied for in 1974, granted in 1976, so they could have been either depending on model mid 70s. The M198 Deluxe had a chrome frame up to 1973, everything else I've seen in the book later had nickel (electroless most likely).

Tim

Reactions: 45/70fan

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Part of what has me puzzled is based in my background with old English fly reels and people trying to "spitfire" them. There isn't a way to get all of the the blueing or case hardening out the crevices, and you can normally tell from the markings when they have been polished after leaving the factory. There are always traces of old color left, hints of.veing buffed.

I've also learned that reference books are good, but there are always non recorded exceptions from manufacturers.

The machine marks are still present, there is no hint of metal oxidation and the receiver has been stored in my garage unprotected for some time. Any raw metal would have shown some level of rust by now. It really seams to be a cast and polished stainless. Color is wrong for normal ductile iron that was polished and clear coated.

I've seen the same metal on the old reinforced breach action H&R shotguns.

I'll try and get some better micro pictures up tomorrow. It has always been a mystery on this one.

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
If it's polished and coated with a clear coat I would like to know what was used. No hint of rust anywhere I can see.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I understand the thought that it was polished. I agree, it was polished. However, I continue to wonder if it left the factory this way. This is due to my background in metals and what happens when you take oxidizing off of metal and from dealing with attempts to "spitfire" classic Hardy fly reels. The original spitfires are with a premium, enough so people will try and replicate them to try and snare unknowledgeable buyers by stripping other Hardy Perfect reels to make them shiny.

A few things to note:

· The receiver has minimal signs of use.
· The original machining marks are present, with no hint of any oxidizing, either bluing or rust.
· The receiver pins show no sign of having beem removed. Normally there are signs of removal, such as paint scratches, when they are removed.
· The markings are still crisp. Much of the time after market polishers will mess up the markings.
· On the inside of the milled casting, no evidence of any previous oxidation. Very hard area to get all previous bluing out of.
· In the rear voids from casting, the metal
is still in its raw for, no old oxidizing.

It's fine to disagree with me, just stating from my experience with other things. I'm also not trying to be a know it all. It's not like I'll be able to retire from a windfall from selling it.

And I enjoy the comments and thoughts!!

The metal does have a mild magnetism to it. But inexpensive stainless mixes can also display that.

The best thing about this receiver is that it will look nice with a stainless barrel and some brass accents.

As for clear coating, some people use automotive clear coats due to thinness and toughness.

I've also included a couple of case restoration picture on another project I have in the works, but I used lacquer to coat it like they used to.

Robert
Light Wood Table Household hardware Hardwood
Light Wood Wood stain Gas Hardwood
Wood Publication Font Material property Book
Wood Bumper Auto part Rim Helmet
Wood Bicycle part Wood stain Gun accessory Shotgun
Wood Natural material Publication Trigger Gas

1 - 13 of 13 Posts