Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reproduction British bronze Grenade Mortar and oak bed. This tube was made in the early 1970s by William Meuse a noted National Park Service historian. He cast several bronze cannon and mortar tubes in the years before the Bicentenial. This type small mortar is illustrated in George Neumann's "Collector's Illustrated Encyclopedia of the Amerian Revolution" (page 23).
The bore is 2 1/8 and a raquet ball fits perfectly. A water filled raquet ball will almost go into orbit ;D when fired from this mortar. Will shoot other kinds of projectile also, I just have not done so myself.
It has a hand chased "GR" under crown cypher on the top as per the originals. The solid bronze tube weights about 13.5 pounds and has a great patina.
The oak bed is a scaled copy of a 12 pounder mortar bed shown in John Muller's "Treatise on Artillery" written in 1780. It is 16 inches long and 8 inches wide. Total weight of the tube and bed is about 30 - 35 pounds. I suspect the bed should be painted. I just couldn't bear to cover the pretty oak. It has been sealed, but left unpainted and stained. I'll let the next owner paint it if they choose.
Price is $800. Shipping is $60 for the lower 48 and will be shipped in two seperate packages (tube and iron in one box, bed in another.) Also includes a rammer/sponge staff. Email with any questions. [email protected][/color] Thanks!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts