Graybeard Outdoors banner

broadhead for elk hunting experiance only.

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  lloyd smale 
#1 ·
Any suggestions for Elk. I shoot a 60lb Hoyt Spyder 30 28" easton axis arrow.

#5 ·
2" cut with the 4 blades and the reduced diameter will increase penetration. The included washers make it a breeze to tune the broadhead to spin true on the arrow.

#6 ·
I hunted with longbows and recurves. For elk & mule deer I always used a cut on contact double blade head. Like the old bear heads or I've even used Howard hill broad heads.

#9 ·
I second slick tricks, while I've hunted for elk 3 times with them, unfortunately I've never stuck one. But I've seen first hand how well they work on elk. I've also used slick tricks for whitetails for at least 10 years and have never even been tempted to move away from them.

#10 ·
Slick tricks are good heads, and will work well. So will any number of other quality fixed blades, Montec's, Snuffer SS, Muzzy's, etc. The key is to find a strong sharp head that shoots well out of your setup. I tested broadheads for years and found a lot of good ones, and a lot of junk. Stick with heads that have been around a while, and ones that work without "gimmicks" tune your setup and put the arrow where it needs to go.

#11 ·
ive used rage open on impact broadheads for a few years now and haven't had one fail to preform on deer. that said I think that if elk was on the table or any game larger then deer id probably go back to a good old cut on impact fixed blade broadhead at least 125 grain for penetration. bottom line is anymore if I got a chance to hunt elk it would be a rare chance and id no doubt do it with a rifle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.