Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone see History Channel where they showed the finding of the ship "Capitana" off the coast of Equador? They were pulling up Bronze cast cannon balls, which had a dual purpose in those days. 1) Cannon balls..(duh!) and 2) barter or trade for the precious metal, ie: copper, used in the bronze. If they didn't need to fire them at an enemy, they traded or sold them for other goods or services. Thought that was pretty smart of them in the day!

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
You know RocklockI is going to see this........... you know you just created a monster................. [/color] ;D

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ha Ha, Har Har, Hee Hee, Chuckle Chuckle, (evil laugh)...we shall see what Gary comes up with in the casting department! A bit of experimentation, I would guess. Bronze balls, who would have ever thunk it! Obviously the Spaniards did, but nowadays...?

·
7,217 Posts
With zinc at a dollar a pound and bronze at four to five times that (and a lot easier to melt), I doubt we will see any bronze shot cast.

·
Premium Member
3,043 Posts
no worries , shot comes later . but bronze ...? george is right the copper electrical scrap ,and tin ingots are too costly to use for that .

smee2 is almost ready to invest . its cold and snowing here for the next few days . uuhhg .

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
RocklockI said:
no worries , shot comes later . but bronze ...? george is right the copper electrical scrap ,and tin ingots are too costly to use for that .

smee2 is almost ready to invest . its cold and snowing here for the next few days . uuhhg .
And here I thought you would take it up as an artistic and technical challenge ...... casting the perfect sphere....... ;D[/color]

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
casting the perfect sphere.......
Funny about "cannon people" and spheres. I visited the great author Warren S. Ripley (ARTILLERY AND AMMUNITION OF THE CIVIL WAR) at his home in Charleston SC about 1978 to talk, well cannons. What a wonderful, distinguished gentleman he was. He told me he had relinquished his artillery research to Ed Olmstead by that time, Ed would carry the torch. He showed me some interesting stuff, one hobby he had taken up in place of all the cannon stuff was making perfect crystal balls. I don't know how he did it but he had made some crystal balls that were like 3 to 4 inches in diameter, which he had measured and they were perfect spheres. Talk about an obscure hobby-or are there lots of folks out there making perfect spheres?

·
Registered
7,583 Posts
I've been thinking of casting tin cannon balls, as I can get it cheaper than lead; and it casts perfectly in a stone-cold mould. Hardness of about Rockwell B 42.

·
Premium Member
3,043 Posts
cannonmn said:
casting the perfect sphere.......
Funny about "cannon people" and spheres. I visited the great author Warren S. Ripley (ARTILLERY AND AMMUNITION OF THE CIVIL WAR) at his home in Charleston SC about 1978 to talk, well cannons. What a wonderful, distinguished gentleman he was. He told me he had relinquished his artillery research to Ed Olmstead by that time, Ed would carry the torch. He showed me some interesting stuff, one hobby he had taken up in place of all the cannon stuff was making perfect crystal balls. I don't know how he did it but he had made some crystal balls that were like 3 to 4 inches in diameter, which he had measured and they were perfect spheres. Talk about an obscure hobby-or are there lots of folks out there making perfect spheres?
perfect crystal balls ......? that is a strange endevour ...? was it mystical thing , or a project to make perfect spheres

did he say what the goal was and why ?

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
The Mexican Army used copper cannon balls at the battle of Palo Alto, 1846, and most certainly at other times.
"Most of the Mexican cannon shot was made of copper or cupreous alloys, as opposed to the iron shot used by the U.S. One Mexican copper solid shot was recovered during the 1979 archeological investigation of the Palo Alto battlefield. This artifact weighed 4.76 pounds and measured 3.12 inches in diameter (Bond 1979:19)."

http://www.nps.gov/history/history/online_books/paal/thunder-cannon/chap6.htm

·
7,217 Posts
Mexico probably has more reserves of copper than of iron. Cost usually relates to scarcity. We use iron because we have a lot of it, the Mexicans probably had a lot more copper than iron.

Regarding tin, one could probably sell the tin and get two or three times the volume of lead for it.

·
Premium Member
4,986 Posts
Cat said:
I've been thinking of casting tin cannon balls, as I can get it cheaper than lead; and it casts perfectly in a stone-cold mould. Hardness of about Rockwell B 42.
If you've got pure stuff, I'd gladly trade you 20# of lead for 5# of tin. I need some for making bronze.

·
7,217 Posts
That would be a pretty good deal.  Density of tin is 7.29 g/cm[sup]3[/sup]; density of lead is 11.35 g/cm[sup]3[/sup].  11.35/7.29=1.55 or 7.29/11.35=.642.

799 cm[sup]3[/sup] Pb; 311 cm[sup]3[/sup] Sn.

·
Premium Member
3,043 Posts
George , please this is common knowledge ! ;D

everybody knows its a good deal ! come on ...... ::)

but ..... was it a good deal for Catwhisperer or VIC3 ?

:D sorry but you kinda lost me ......

i know you did not mean too ...? 8) much .

gary

·
Premium Member
3,043 Posts
Private you better find a Sn ! they are everywhere and you can not find one frikkin Sn . What are you PRIVATE !!! SOME KIND OF COMMIE SENT HERE TO MUCK MY CORPS you better get squared away private AND FIND A Sn! ;D

30 , 29 ,28 ,27 ,26, 25 , down to 0 and you had better find a Sn or YOU will BE A RECYCLE PRIVATE !!!

BACK TO TRAINING DAY 1 !!!!!!!!!!! :p

sorry DD Jebus ,,,that brings back memories ! RECYLE YOUR A*S PRIVATE ! that would give me a sleepless night for sure !

what a horrible word ........ 8) Semper Fi Doug

·
7,217 Posts
That's true but tin is so expensive that it didn't seem reasonable to use as expendable shot.  It's density calculates as 455 lbs/ft[sup]3[/sup] which is only a little more than the 437 lbs/ft[sup]3[/sup] of cast iron.  So simply multiply the cast iron value by 1.04 (or add 4%) for a reasonable approximation.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts