Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a buddy that wants to trade me a Browning .25 Pocket Pistol for an old Merc outboard motor I have. He said this gun was made in the 50's, HE THINKS, and there is not a scratch or blemish on the gun. Anybody got any idea what this might be worth?

Thanks in advance. :D

·
Registered
782 Posts
Browning 25 ACP

Sounds like it might be a Vest Pocket which everyone erroneously refers to as a "Baby Browning". The Baby was an earlier model. A mint Vest Pocket should be in the $250 to $300 range. Theer should be a small pouch type carrying case with it. They are worth a tad more if they have the pouch, box, papers, etc.

·
Premium Member
9,526 Posts
Muzzleblast - get it and don't look back. Those little babies will last you darn near forever. That's a bit of a pocket pistol you can have fun with. Mikey.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Muzzleblast, I have to poke fun....I was not aware Merc made a motor for use indoor :lol:

Seriously, I agree go for it; unless it's a top shape motor then you might go for the pistol and cash. The .25ACP is a fun little cartridge to shoot, a real pain to re-load for and not really worth the time, but fun fun fun.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Shoot it. It's a mild cartridge a tad more recoil than a .22LR but not by much. It's a blast to make cans dance, on the ground or tied to a string.
It's really popular for taking out overly aggressive field mice :grin:

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

My biggest problem is I don't need the gun to shoot. In my line of work, .380 is smallest I can carry off-duty, and have to carry .40 or .45 on duty. Oh well, I guess I can hang on to it if I get it, or sell it.

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
I think you're better off with the outboard or cash received for its sale. The gun sounds practically worthless to me if you don't intend to use it for anything other than plinking. You can get a lot of 22s for the price of 50 25ACP cartridges. The only value I can see to the 25 is to round out your collection of guns or to play with if you like the cartridge and don't value the outboard or the money.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Handgun General Discussion

Muzzleblast

Your little pistol may be worth than you think. You might find some one who has a S.P.Fjestad Book of gun values. In looking through mine i find that there were several models of the little guns and some of them were quite a bit higher than others. If by chance it was in fact a FN Baby model
It would be worth a lot more than you would think..........Joe..........

·
Premium Member
3,569 Posts
I've got one. Made in the 1960's and never fired. Came with the pistol pouch, papers and wrapped in a cellophane/cosmoline type prtectorant. I paid $350 for it. Would I trade for an outboard....well...yeah...I guess so...if it was in better condition than the outboard.

Doug

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have seen 3 in extremely good condition recently. If the box etc is with it, it would sell for at least $300 here. They are very big with collectors and condition is everything.

As a carry gun they can be difficult to shoot if you have larger hands.
(I have a permanent scar from a .25acp Beretta. )

Mark

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Handgun General Discussion

dogngun,

You've got that right, I'm blessed with with large hands and have been bitten by some of the smaller Autos my self 22s and 25s. The muscle between my thumb and forfinger has a scar that helps me remember not to shoot the little things. Have a good day.........Joe........

·
Registered
77 Posts
more on 25's

Some of those older outboards can be worth a lot as well. I have one of those Brownings, it came to me a bit rough, as stored in pouch, improper. :roll: Every time I think about putting it up to auction, I just cannot bring myself to do it. :) I even have dies, but have yet to do any reloading for it. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts