Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if anyone out there has any experiences with the new Browning A-bolts? Not much mentioned about em in the threads here. I had an early Gold Medallion 7mm/08 years ago and it was a tack driver. There are rumors Beretta is going to keep Browning quality up but I don't know anyone who has bought one lately. :?

·
Registered
148 Posts
browning

any info on how the "boss "system works on these rifles? looking at a stainless in .300 winny mag,and wondered if it was worth the extra money.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Browning A Bolt + BOSS

:grin: I have a Browning A bolt purchased in 1998 which is in 25-06 Rem with a BOSS. I am happy to say I am pleased. It is consistently the most accurate rifle I have ever owned. There Are some plusses and minusses but overall the A Bolt + BOSS system is a winner. First the plusses; The system allows selection of a load ( factory or hand load) and make it shoot. You can very easily tune it in. It helps with recoil, especially a boomer like 300 Mag. The design of the A Bolt is very good with 60 deg 3 lug bolt, and the detachable mag on a Hinged floor plate, and the bore and chamber seem to be very well done(snug on the chamber and throating), The stock fits me well but that is an individual choice because a lot of people may find it has a short length of pull but I am 5' 9" tall. I have used it successfully on since 98 on several occassions, it is becoming my favorite go to gun. Now for the minusses. The BOSS is LOUD!!!! The BOSS steals 2" of the bore length.( 22" overall length but 20" behind the BOSS) . With a 300 MAG you will loose a slight amount of muzzle velocity. Overall I would buy another if I needed another rifle, but right now my 25-06 does it all. varmints to big game and the A Bolt does it well!!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Browning A Bolt + BOSS

stv said:
:grin: I have a Browning A bolt purchased in 1998 which is in 25-06 Rem with a BOSS. I am happy to say I am pleased. It is consistently the most accurate rifle I have ever owned. There Are some plusses and minusses but overall the A Bolt + BOSS system is a winner. First the plusses; The system allows selection of a load ( factory or hand load) and make it shoot. You can very easily tune it in. It helps with recoil, especially a boomer like 300 Mag. The design of the A Bolt is very good with 60 deg 3 lug bolt, and the detachable mag on a Hinged floor plate, and the bore and chamber seem to be very well done(snug on the chamber and throating), The stock fits me well but that is an individual choice because a lot of people may find it has a short length of pull but I am 5' 9" tall. I have used it successfully on since 98 on several occassions, it is becoming my favorite go to gun. Now for the minusses. The BOSS is LOUD!!!! The BOSS steals 2" of the bore length.( 22" overall length but 20" behind the BOSS) . With a 300 MAG you will loose a slight amount of muzzle velocity. Overall I would buy another if I needed another rifle, but right now my 25-06 does it all. varmints to big game and the A Bolt does it well!!

I already shoot a .300 Wby but it just isn't as easy to shoot as much as I'd like to. I love the looks of the White Gold Medallion in 7 mm mag and will probably forgo the Boss system.

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
I have been told that the earlier A-Bolts are much better than the newer A-Bolt IIs. Why exactly I don't know. I have two of the older A-Bolts in .270 and 7mm Rem Mag. - real tack drivers with virtually most loads.

Someone mentioned Beretta? I don't think Beretta owns Browning. Browning and Winchester are now owned by a French company. I think that someone was confusing Browning with Sako and Tikka, because Sako and Tikka are the ones owned by Beretta.

Zachary

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I have a lefty A Bolt in 25/06 that I purchased about ten years ago. I'm very pleased with it.
Greg

·
Registered
148 Posts
a bolt

think i'll order a .300 win mag with boss,stainless steel with composite stock.got a 3.5x8 leopold to go on it. should do anything i want it to in north america,plus i reload for it already. :grin:

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have never owned a BOSS just palyed with them. It is good or bad depending on your view point. It works great for the recoil reduction out of the box. It also works well for people that shoot factory ammo to get the best groups that rifle can shoot with that ammo. For handloader it can be a blessing or a nightmare. It is a whole other variable to put into the handloading equation (the best way to load for one is to put it at the suggested starting point and then develop a load, then see if the BOSS can get it any smaller). Like we don't have enough already. What it does is get the barrel harmonics to be at the upper or lower part of the wave trough. This is what we try to do we we handload. The concept does work. In the 50's taget shooter were putting movable weights on their barrel to achieve the same effect. The nice thing in the BOSS has starting points figured out for you to start dialing in.

As for Browning rifles, I sold many more of them at the sporting good store when I worked there vs the Model 70 or 700. It has lots of features that the average hunter perfers. The clips is great to load and unload a rifle if your state (as mine does) has to be unloaded to case them. The bolt throw most people that handle that perfer it over the tradtional 90 degree throw. My hunting partner has a left handed version and love it. This is with out the BOSS. True rifle fans and customerizers sometime don't like beacuse of the way they are put together. Overall they are good rifles.

Hcliff

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have a stainless lefty in .300 Win "Long" that has NEVER exceeded MOA, even when working up loads. That skeeeny barrel heats up in 2-3 shots, but, that's OK too. It has the unglamorous plastic stock which I prefer.

I got it used so I'm unsure of its age or pedigree. Hope you're as happy with yours as I am with mine!

Redial

1 - 9 of 9 Posts