Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went yesterday and got an old friend back. Several years ago I bought myself a new left handed stainless steel a bolt in 270. Took a break from hunting and guns let my grandson get it to use. He had no interest in it. It sat unused in a gun cabinet for about 5 years. Probably going to order a new Nikon for it and start back using it. Wish I could post a picture

·
Registered
704 Posts
Glad you got your "old friend" back.
In early October of last year, I won an A-Bolt II Medallion in .257 Roberts in as a raffle drawing prize. Since I'm never a winner in these sorts of things, it didn't bother me much that the grand prize was something I really had no interest in at the time. When I found out that I'd won it, I kind of teetered back and forth between selling it off or keeping it. To help make my mind up, I slapped a scope that was going spare on it and took it to the range to shoot it. I was highly impressed with its accuracy and the mild manners of the .257 Roberts round. Since I had shot it, I figured I might as well take it hunting -you know, just to be sure I was making the right decision about whether to keep it or sell it. I wound up wacking a mature bull elk with it last fall.
For me, the A-Bolt II was something I had to "live with" to warm up to, but I like mine, and more than just a little bit. It's little things, like the fit of the stock to my body; like it being a full size, traditional polished blued steel and walnut rifle while weighing under 6.5 pounds, bare; like the low bolt lift, the smooth bolt travel and feeding / ejection cycle, and so on. I had to use the thing to really "get" why the magazines detach off the floorplate. I like the tang-mounted safety, as it is simiar to other firearms I shoot a lot -my O/U shotguns, my M77 Ultralight, and No.1's.
If I live long enough to see grandchildren, they're going to have to wait until I rotate off the mortal coil to get their mitts on my A-Bolt II. As I said, I had to live with it and use it to warm up to it, but mine is now to me one of my all-time favorite rifles. I now see why some people who have used them for a while like them as much as they do.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Patrick will eventually get back but it will be when I'm gone. The rifle fits to good and shoots to good to let him have it back for now. Good shooting guns that feel that good are hard to come by

·
Registered
399 Posts
I have 3, a 280,308, and 25-06. My son has a 7mm-08. I have been really happy with all of them, they all shoot better than I can and they just fit. My 280 has accounted for countless whitetail deer. I really hate to see Browning cut back on them.

·
22,505 Posts
ive had two of them. both great shooters. I think there a good looking gun. Much better looking then those ugly x bolts.

·
Registered
10,172 Posts
Arguments about what's the "best" all around game cartridge. Many are suggested but few people get it right; the correct answer is the .257 Roberts. It's not the right cartridge for brown bear in Alaska or elephant in Africa but such critters are not routinely in the common hunter's sights.

·
Registered
704 Posts
wncchester said:
Arguments about what's the "best" all around game cartridge. Many are suggested but few people get it right; the correct answer is the .257 Roberts. It's not the right cartridge for brown bear in Alaska or elephant in Africa but such critters are not routinely in the common hunter's sights.
I'm sure that mine being chambered in .257 Roberts has A LOT to do with why I like my A-Bolt II so much. The symbiosis of rifle and cartridge makes for a very versatile package that serves me well for everything I actually use a centerfire rifle for.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I bought one a few weeks back, in .270...

You can order them from Bass Pro, composite stock and stainless steel barrel...
I put a 3x9x40 Leupold on her with the Heavy Duplex reticle and have her sighted
in with 130gr Hornadys Interlocks...

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
Bought one in 280 about 25 years ago I think. Put a 3X10 Leupold 50mm on it. It is still a great deer rifle and I don't think I have ever had to retune the scope from the initial sighting. Will shoot as well as any of the dozen or so deer rifles I own. Have taken it elk and deer hunting. After getting the 280, I added a 280 AI. Not worth the difference and a shorter barrel works fine.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Mine is the A-bolt II with a BOSS in 25-06. It is blued with the plain synthetic stock. I traded for it used .... I let my , 77 tang safety in 270 Win go for it that never would group for beans, handloading and all.

I went to the Browning web site and found the suggested setting of the BOSS for 25-06 and set it accordingly. I tested a few different combinations of handloads and found this Browning to be a reliable .600” shooter at 100 yards. That is better than half the group size I ever got with just one load on it’s bets outing with my tang Ruger 77 in 270!

So everything I run through that Browning stays at 6 tenths .... color me happy!

My brother recently changed his trigger spring on his A bolt 300 Win Mag of many years and gave me the lighter of the two springs (I am a varmint hunter, mostly predators) and I have set it but not fired it on paper yet. I know from experience that my Browning likely will group even tighter now!

Can’t get any better than that!

Best regards

Three44s

·
Registered
399 Posts
I know this is an old thread, that really doesn't take away from the reliability of the Browning A Bolt or its accuracy. For instance, I haven't shot my old friend in a couple of years, cleaned her and put her in the safe a couple years ago and got distracted by her sister in 25-06, an A Bolt II. I was shooting a little bit today and decided to warm her up just to see if she needed any adjustment. I fired four rounds in the space of maybe 4 mins. Here are the results. From the location of the group , she's still printing where she's supposed to , I don't know which bullet was the 1st round, but at that rate I am not complaining. Wish they still made them like that. I don't know why the pics are sideways ?

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts