Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never owned any browning with a boss system and I am thinking about getting an A-bolt II with the boss. Im wondering If it really cuts down on recoil.

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
Supposedly BOSS-CR accessory offers all the accuracy advantages of the original BOSS without the muzzle brake feature. Depending on the caliber, the original Browning BOSS system is supposed reduce recoil by a third but there is a trade off. It will increase the muzzle blast to a level that is extremely harmful to your hearing, even when wearing certain hearing protection. Remember this, there is no such thing as a quiet muzzle brake[/color]. They may redirect the sound away from the shooter but they all increase the level of sound. Lawdog
:D

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have the A-Bolt II in the composite staLker 7mm magnum with boss. Proud Owner for $300 on clearance at Wal MArt (thanks Sam!!!) since 12/97. I can say that there is a noticeable reduction in recoil with the brake body over the CR body. Reduced recoil equals better shooting on part. I have so much confidence in the rifle - it's like a laser from the death star. Very well worth it in my opinion. The boss in general helps with accuracy - supposedly - since I've never shot it without the boss body on the gun.
As for noise - it is increased - by how much, I dont know. When at the range, I always wear ear protection. In the woods, the most I've shot is to empty the magazine - 4 rounds total. Ears rings for couple seconds - walk over to deer, ears clear before I get there. I or my friends don't notice anything different about the sound levels from my rifle over others in the woods. They do say that it has a somewhat distinctive sound. If you were shooting buffalo on the heard, I wouldn't do it - too much shooting without muffs - but for the one or two rounds I usually shoot, it's no problem for me. The other thing increased with the boss is the "muzzle blast", lol!!! When lying prone, the blast looks like the cloud from a rolling tank :) :) - my buddies HOWL when we hunt groundhogs long range shooting. To each their own, however - I am a longtime boss owner. When I buy another bolt action rifle, it will be browning boss equipped. I just like it that much. I think a LOT of boss owners would / will say the same thing.
I've seen LAWDOG post the dangers of having muzzle brakes on rifles previously, so I think I know where he stands on the issue. I have no doubt that the boss is louder than a standard rifle - it is for sure. I would be curious as to his exact experiences with the browning boss system. It has only been out since about 1994.
For other information, I've also owned a T/C encore custom shop 30.06 with the T/C brake. It was not nearly as effective as the boss in my opinion.
Good Luck with your purchase - let me know if you need anything else.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Boss Equipped Rifle

I had a winchester model 70 stainless classic in 30-06 with a BOSS on it. The rifle was like shooting a 243 with everything. The boss setup made the gun very accurate when set properly. It was my death ray for 8 years. I had a huge amount of confidence in that rifle. I am looking for another one. I wish I had not let it get away. The noise level was not to bad from my end of the gun. It was louder but it wanst bad. The recoil reduction was well worth it.
Kelly

·
Registered
341 Posts
I have a Winchester in 270 with the BOSS since 96 and it has less recoil than my 243. It has shot 3/4 inch groups since day one and yes it is loud but since when I hunt with it I only have to hear one shot. :grin: If I had to do it over again I would get the same set up .........Bob

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. There is a 30-06 in synthetic and a 270 in wood, both used, and both 475$ .Fair price???

·
Registered
319 Posts
My understanding is that the reason for the BOSS is improved accuracy by dialing in a sweet spot. I've been told, and believe, it works well. It's probably great for the guy only shooting one or two loads for the year. It wouldn't work too well for me. Most of my shooting is at the range firing many different loads in quite a few rifles. If I had to experiment and find a sweet spot for every type and weight of bullet I load for and shoot I'd go batty in nothing flat, to say nothing of the time consumed in such a project. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have a Winchester Featherweight in .280 with the Boss and yes it does cut down on recoil, but as several have said, it really increases the noise. The first time I shot it without hearing protection was when I shot a nice 8 point buck with it and the report was so loud and painful that I almost forgot all about the deer.:shock: It does however make the rifle deadly accurate once properly tuned. That is the only reason I would recommend the Boss. My brother has an A-bolt in .270 with the Boss and the noise was so uncomfortable for him that he bought an aftermarket tip without the ports.

·
Registered
33 Posts
boss

Yes the muzzle brake increases the loudness of the muzzle blast , but the boss system comes with a screw-on muzzle brake as well as a conventional screw-on end. When going hunting, simply unscrew the muzzle brake and install the conventional tip.

chris

1 - 11 of 11 Posts