Graybeard Outdoors banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,489 Posts
Usually, when I get a Hi Power the first thing I do is remove the magazine safety. On my newest 1972 it was already gone when I got it. I've always felt that removing it improved the trigger pull a tiny bit.

·
Premium Member
9,705 Posts
star43 said:
Well hopefully people who read this will get to know who he was !!! Thanks Mr. Saive !! :) By the way, I agree with that Jefferson quote at the bottom of your post !! God Bless him !! Not to get off track but the man in my opinion who never gets any or much credit was "Charles Petter" Look at the famous Sig guns and they would never be around without that man..........It started with the 1935 French Model 1935..... and that turned into Sig's most expensive gun that is still being made I believe at about $4000 - $5000 EACH if you want one..........but back to the Browning.........Thanks for the photos CW !! ;) Drdougrx made a good point about that FM Detective..........I have seen one and it was top notch quality. A Hi-Power in a shortened compact design. !! I can see why he would have a hankering for one of those beauties !! :) :)

Thanks for the heads up on Charles Petter, it's good to now know where the Sig 210 came from. I had never heard of him before.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Yes, that is true. I have an old Model A 1935 {SACM} made before the war as that's where the Model A's were made. The Model A is the original 32 French Longue............The Model S came out later and was made at the MAS factory. The "S" is not the Model A. That's for sure, but it is a nice high quality gun.........Sig bought the patent for the 1935 A and blew it up a little bit to "create" the Sig 210.....All of the design features which I will not get into here were transferred to the "210".........But, yes, it was the Swiss man Charles Petter who was responsible for the original design...........I went into a gun shop today and saw a new Hi-Power amidst a whole bunch of black plastic and to me with that gorgeous polished blue and the beautiful walnut grips........it really stood out.....a thousand bucks......great gun. ;)

·
Registered
4,516 Posts
If anyone is interested in getting a real nice clone of the Browning Hi-Power. (I'm assuming they are NIB, since they are advertised with all the other firearms.) There is a LGS that is having a sale on the Hungarian made: FEG Model P9R for $249.99, starting August 3 - 7th, 2016. Send me a PM, and I'll send you the name, address, phone number, and website of the store. You can contact them regarding purchasing the pistol, and make arrangements for them to send it to your FFL. Just remember that this is a LGS in NYS, and most likely whatever number of magazines that come with the pistol will be ten rounders.

Full disclosure: I have no financial interest or ties to this store.

There are also a couple for sale on GB, ranging in price from: $250 - $399.99 used.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I certainly agree that a NIB Hungarian Feg Hi-Power is a fantastic deal !!! All steel & walnut for that price, and that price "today 2016" !! How can anyone go wrong wit that. ;)

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
It should be known though that the FEG P9R is or HAS been commonly referred to as a Hi-Power clone, it actually is not..........The FEG PJK 9PR was the actual "clone" of the Hi-Power...........The P9R is a double action gun being kind of looking like a Hi-Power but actually a sort of cross between the Hi-Power and a S&W model 59 9mm......Internally it looks closer to a S&W.........Although it is NOT a Hi-Power, it is STILL a fine gun to shoot and dependable, very well made and a steal at $249 !!! :)

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Sorry, I meant to say "PJK 9HP" That was the actual model number of the Hi-Power clone. It was named after {initials of the importer} , Mr. Kassnar :)

·
Registered
4,516 Posts
End of an Era. Browning just announced that they were discontinuing production of the Hi-Power.

Now those of you that have one can sit back and watch the prices go up!

·
Premium Member
7,489 Posts
Brought home a 1989 High Power this week. I think it was heavily rusted at one time because it had been parkerized.
Also didn't have a magazine; but, the price was extremely reasonable: $500.
It has the ambi-safety, a round hammer and an excellent trigger pull.

·
Premium Member
7,489 Posts
Just got a Ciener 22 conversion kit for the Hi Power. Took it to the range today and shot almost 200 rds. through it without
any hiccups. Sure is a fun little accessory. It seems to like Blazer ammo.

·
Premium Member
7,489 Posts
Brought home a 1968 Hi Power today. It has the round hammer and the wood on the back of the grips is red. There is another Browning waiting in the wings; but,
I won't be able to bring it home for another month. Dang Kaliforny and the 1 handgun every 30 days rule.

·
Premium Member
7,489 Posts
I took the Hi Power conversion .22 to the range today and put almost 2 boxes of shells through it. It sure is fun to plink with.
Next time I'm gonna have to remember to take my Sig 226 .22 conversion up, too.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts